It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
(male)

kampion998 HB User
left ventricle 20% infarction, but great bp...

In 2002 i had an ultrasound on my heart and was told i had 4 years left before needing a transplant. This last year i was qute inactive for a number of reasons, and went into CHF as a result of the infartion and diabetes.

I had another ultrasound, and was told no stairs, no work, etc, but to gently walk to try to get in shape. My ultrasound hadn't changed, btw.

My blood pressure, meanwhile, is never over 120, it sits around 110. walking is very hard, as i tire very fast, and have bad feet. on the other hand, i got my car stuck and spent an hour shovelling snow (what do u do when u r alone and it's -30, sit there?) (Non smoker/ non drinker)

I dont understand why i look healthy, other than for swollen chf symptons, and my nails,m etc are always healthy. I've never had a heart attack, and my angio showed no blockages, tears, etc, just the enlarged ventrical.

I;m on 4mg atacand, the lowest dose. Is there hope for me, am i freaking out for nothing? right now im so nervous i cant even sleep without a pill. Thank God for assistance or i'd already be a goner!!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to kampion998:
dhill2020 (12-21-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: leftventrical 20% infartion, but great bp ...

I don't know, my dad has perfect blood pressure and has had 3 open heart surgeries and 4 heart attacks. My aunt has low blood pressure and had open heart surgery 2 years ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: left ventricle 20% infarction, but great bp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampion998 View Post
In 2002 i had an ultrasound on my heart and was told i had 4 years left before needing a transplant. This last year i was qute inactive for a number of reasons, and went into CHF as a result of the infartion and diabetes.
Heart Failure, or a weakened heart, commonly leads to Diabetes because, with a diseased heart the metabolism has problems converting calories, especially carbohydrates, to energy. Therefore, in order to be able to survive Heart Failure, one must limit each meal to the size that their metabolism can handle properly. Consuming more calories, with each meal, or for the day, than the metabolism can handle, while weakened with Heart Failure, will keep making one's heart and health progressively worse.

The reverse is also true. Diabetes can lead to Heart Failure, and also damage any organ, gland, nerve ending, etc, in the body.

Quote:
I dont understand why i look healthy, other than for swollen chf symptons, and my nails,m etc are always healthy. I've never had a heart attack, and my angio showed no blockages, tears, etc, just the enlarged ventrical.
Our hearts have tremendous capacity for keeping us alive. We can lose 50%, or even more, of our heart function and still survive, albeit with limited functionality.

Buts..... with a weakened heart, it limits what we can do. Sometimes we can do more than at other times, if our hearts are working at a higher level, but if our hearts are not behaving, we are really limited in what we can do. Once again, if we don't limit our calories per meal, and for the day, and if we don't avoid things that over-stimulate or irritate our weakened heart, our heart and our health will get progressively worse.

Quote:
I;m on 4mg atacand, the lowest dose. Is there hope for me, am i freaking out for nothing? right now im so nervous i cant even sleep without a pill. Thank God for assistance or i'd already be a goner!!!!!
I've suffered from Heart Failure, Chronically High Blood Pressure (which has been under control for years) and Insulin Resistance/Pre-Diabetes for over 24 years. I've learned how to co-exist with my heart disease and my other health problems, and live with a good quality of life and a constantly improving health.

I've posted a thread entitled: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life, which is one of the threads within this Heart Disorders topic, if you would like to read what I have done. The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=742271

Regards, and best of luck and health to you and Merry Christmas!

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-22-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
(male)

Cremer HB User

Machaon is correct in saying the heart is an amazing organ that can even continue working when heavily blocked.

My LAD was 100% blocked and the RCA and LCA between 75% and 80% blocked and even though I was out of breath with angina I never had a heart attack so what I'm trying to say is don't worry to much.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
(male)

kampion998 HB User

Welp, i did not make it

Was sitting to eat at a restaurnt with a friend, hadn't pushed any limits, etc, when i felt totally tired. not sore, no pain, just tired. 6 minutes later i woke on the floor. they say i had been quite combative, yelling my wrist ... i suspect i yelled my chest ... after getting jolted.

I remember being confused ... at lieing on the floor ... a emt yelled for me to spit out food (my first mouthful) and i swallowed it ... cuz it was GOOD! I knew the day,, where i was, etc. just didnt understand at first why all these feet were around me.

two nurses were at the next table, they started cpr, plus the resturant had a defib. Now I have a defib, and a rather sore chest

(i suspect the first thing everyone yelled was "I'm not having what you served him!")

Now I'm on beta blockers, a pacemaker to make my enlarged heart beat better, and I still dont know yet if there is any improvement. Still no stairs, lifting, etc. One thing, they were fast, blood test shows any damage to the heart was caused by the jolt, since i do not have blockages.

Ended up in the MAZ heart center in Edmonton, state of the art. Also was the closest hosp. foryunately while i waited a couple days for the implant, they rellaxed the total bedrest and allowed me to use the washrrom on my own even a poor ghost has pride ... grin

Part of me will always wonder what if they hadnt brought me back ... i certainly wasnt in any fear or distress at that moemnt

Last edited by kampion998; 02-01-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I think there is only about 3-4 percent of people that survive cardiac arrest without major damages. And yes, this is the good part of dying from it, you do not feel anything, not even an small warning.

What surprise me is that if you already had a 20% EF before, they did not told you to implant the defib. before?? Guidelines indicates it is advisable before 35%, and there are just very few (at the moment I am only aware of myself) that refuse it.

Jesus

Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
(male)

kampion998 HB User

i was booked for feb 25th to have it. even after the arrest it took several days to find an open spot. i originally was inclined to refuse it but even my pastor advised it.

i wish it had been done earlier, now i cant drive for 6 months. that hurts

Last edited by kampion998; 02-01-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
(male)

kampion998 HB User

As an update ... the pacemaker and beta blocker are working fine, theres been no shocks by the defib and i feel basically normal again. I lost 30 pounds in 3 weeks, mainly water. As a side note, my appointment to see the cardiologist fell through when he went into surgery, and today my gp cancelled his appointments. this after i travelled 400 miles to keep the 2 appointments. im impressed with the care at the Mazankowski heart center, but other than that, alberta's health care needs a good defibbing itself.

The following user gives a hug of support to kampion998:
jaxtcr (02-26-2011)
Closed Thread