It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

vintageviolets HB User
sinus tachycardia and simple carb intake

Hi, I'm a newbie here, have endocrine issues besides the current topic.

My situation is that whenever I eat white flour products, white rice, mashed potatoes, highly processed carbohydrates -- even soup that is mostly pasta -- I experience a racing pulse.

Pulse rate goes from my usual low 80's, up to 103 to 108 and sometimes higher. It hits within 10-20 minutes.

I have had EKG's, echogram. Slight mitral and tricuspid valve issues, not a concern now, they tell me. No other problems. Diagnosis, sinus tachycardia.

Would someone be able to tell me if there IS a connection between carbohydrate intake and sinus tach, and if so, what is the nature of that connection?

(I just can't believe I am such a novelty that my GP, cardio, endo, and rheumatologist cannot figure out. They are all excellent in their fields!)

thanks for any help you can give
vviolets

Old 12-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User
Re: sinus tachycardia and simple carb intake

sounds like a simple allergic reaction. No one has suggested this to you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Hi, I haven't considered allergy. Have been tested, no reactions occurred. An interesting thought, thanks! -vv..

Last edited by Administrator; 03-18-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

The most common reason for both higher blood pressure and heart rhythm dysfunction (such as tachycardia) after eating Carbs is Pre-Diabetes or Insulin Resistance. This applies especially to the high powered carbs such as white potatoes, white rice, white pasta, etc.

The body can only consume a certain load of carbs with each meal and for the entire day. If the body gets too many carbs, then it starts having problems converting the carbs to energy. This causes all kinds of metabolic problems, leading eventually to diabetes.

The fact that most doctors can't figure this out reflects very poorly on the ineffectiveness of medical training and medical education.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-27-2010 at 06:57 AM.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
The most common reason for both higher blood pressure and heart rhythm dysfunction (such as tachycardia) after eating Carbs is Pre-Diabetes or Insulin Resistance. This applies especially to the high powered carbs such as white potatoes, white rice, white pasta, etc.

The body can only consume a certain load of carbs with each meal and for the entire day. If the body gets too many carbs, then it starts having problems converting the carbs to energy. This causes all kinds of metabolic problems, leading eventually to diabetes.

THANK you!! I have actually started to search online, and could not see a reference for sinus tach after simple carb intake. If you could point out some sources to me, that would be a help to me in further conversation with my doctors. Also, can you tell me, is it the higher insulin levels pumping out--in insulin resistance--that are the cause of heart racing that follows? Or the resulting low blood sugar After the insulin overshoots?

Mine occurs within 20 minutes, usualy between 10 and 20 minutes, of eating. Which seems a bit fast for the hypoglycemic reaction, doesn't it?

This has been such a puzzle for me, I am extremely happy to have found people who know.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageviolets View Post
... If you could point out some sources to me, that would be a help to me in further conversation with my doctors.
What I have learned, I have learned over the past 24+ years of dealing with Heart Failure, Chronically High Blood Pressure, Permanent Atrial Fibrillation and Insulin Resistance/Pre-Diabetes (all of which are under reasonable control).

So..... tis not easy to give you a single source. I would have to go through many research items that I had previously read.

Plus.... I am not a medical professional, nor have I any medical training or education. I am just sharing information based on my own experiences of beating my major health problems.

Quote:
Also, can you tell me, is it the higher insulin levels pumping out--in insulin resistance--that are the cause of heart racing that follows? Or the resulting low blood sugar After the insulin overshoots?
Well...... tis not that simple, or direct. The body is very resilient and can take a lot of abuse. But, over time, consuming too many calories, especially carbs, causes Insulin Resistance, which results in the pancreas pumping out larger and larger amounts of Insulin to make up for the rejected Insulin. This Insulin Resistance (Pre-Diabetes) continues until the pancreas wears out, resulting in Diabetes II.

Insulin is a wonderful, necessary body hormone. It works very well in the conversion process of blood sugar to cell energy. However, too much Insulin in the blood is like poison, messes up one's metabolic balance, and causes all kinds of nasty health problems. The resultant health problems from the excess Insulin are wide and varied and can result in Heart Rhythm, Breathing and Blood Pressure problems, IMHO.

Quote:
This has been such a puzzle for me, I am extremely happy to have found people who know.
I am giving you a good guess regarding what could be causing your problems. Consider my input as one of many sources in your research.

Diet has a lot to do with everyone's good or bad health. Even a healthy diet, if containing too many calories for a person's metabolism to convert to energy, can cause health problems. A lot of health problems, all over the world, can be attributed to diet. Sadly, most people refuse to eat an appropriate diet, because of either cost or because of will or because of lack of knowledge.

Best of luck with your health problems and for the New Year!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-27-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would just stick to whole grains and other whole foods instead it is healthier anyway according to all the sources I respect. Is diabetes present? :smile:

Last edited by sjb; 12-27-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: addition made

Old 12-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

I appreciate the replies, Machaon and sjb!

I have nice blood sugar readings fasting and otherwise, so far. But Diabetes type 2 does run in my mother's family. So we watch.

I do normally eat well, it's just when we eat something unusual for us, that i get into trouble. eating out, a gift of homemade soup that was just about 100% carb and no protein, these things have got me into quick trouble with heart rate.. egad.

Also have Addison's Disease, so must take replacement steroids every day. And altho' I am at the lowest dose possible, I do think that my body is more carb-sensitive due to the presence of steroids in my system. I have, in addition, noted the problem of heart racing more when Cortef is wearing off in my system. hmmm cortisol dropping, but not too low yet, body could be very sensitive to the overshooting of insulin, now That's a puzzle. Endo tells me that hot soup is also a vasodilator. Hot soup if all carb, caused 113+ pulse rate! egad.
thanks for your direction, I appreciate your sharing your story... vv

Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi the nih statement on Cortef is that if a person has heart problems they should tell the doctor about it before taking it.

I read from a source I respect that food can be warmed but food which is extremely hot or cold foods aught not to be used even for a healthy person.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... I have nice blood sugar readings fasting and otherwise, so far. But Diabetes type 2 does run in my mother's family. So we watch.
Buts..... have you been tested for Insulin Resistance?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Had glucose tolerance test about three years ago. In that test, after drinking the 'stuff,' they did a blood glucose level. No insulin was measured.

Is there a definitive test for insulin resistance, that should be done?
thanks
vv

Old 12-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... Is there a definitive test for insulin resistance, that should be done?
thanks
vv
I looked up Insulin Resistance Test on the Internet. From what I have read, the test is expensive and most doctors offices are not equipped for it. The test is mostly used as a research tool.

That is a surprise, since it is estimated that a majority could be suffering from some form of Insulin Resistance.

You could test for it yourself by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageviolets
My situation is that whenever I eat white flour products, white rice, mashed potatoes, highly processed carbohydrates -- even soup that is mostly pasta -- I experience a racing pulse.

Pulse rate goes from my usual low 80's, up to 103 to 108 and sometimes higher. It hits within 10-20 minutes.
There is a definite link between your consumption of high glycemic carbs and your health. As in my case, as soon as I went to a low glycemic diet, my symptoms disappeared.

Now..... OTOH, there possibly could be another explanation for your reaction to high glycemic carbs, but it does make one think about the possibility that it could be attributed to Insulin Resistance.

At the least, it is something you could think about and research further, and possibly decide to experiment with your diet, no?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Closed Thread