It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
High Diastolic

Can a high diastolic be a sign of heart problems? I have been put on BP medication but it's not changing my diastolic. They keep upping me meds, the systolic goes down but the diastolic stays the same.

The other night I had 140/117, 130/100. Most the time I have 125/99

I can get my pressure down a little with no activity but with very little exertion such as getting up to use the rest room, walking across the room or even up the stairs my diastolic goes nuts!

I am not old, over weight or inactive. I think this is why I am having a hard time getting a doctor to notice there is a problem.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: High Diastolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
Can a high diastolic be a sign of heart problems?
Yes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
... They keep upping my meds, the systolic goes down but the diastolic stays the same.

The other night I had 140/117, 130/100. Most the time I have 125/99

I am not old, over weight or inactive...
You don't have to be overweight to have your diet cause your blood pressure to be higher and less healthy. If your metabolism cannot handle the calories currently in your diet, it will cause you to have higher blood pressure, or if your diet is not a balanced healthy diet, IMHO. It's not just the calories, but also the quality of your diet!

That applies to skinny people, relatively healthy people, people who exercise regularly, people who think that they have wonderfully, healthy diets; and also to many doctors who have high blood pressure and don't know how to get their own blood pressure down to healthy levels.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-02-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I disagree, I know my body and I know something is wrong. My BP will be 118/83 and I laugh and feel some strange surge and I check my BP and it will be 128/117! I can be laying in bed and tak emy BP and it will be 120/86, I get up to do something and get back in bed and it's up to 155/110. That's not diet! Something else is wrong. The diastolic is usually in the 90's. This morning I was lucky and my BP was 113/74. That's short lived and happens as often and we get a full eclipse but I get excited when I see numbers like that.

I am aware you are big on the diet thing, but my old cardio told me we all all different and our causes are different. What works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another. You have a lot going on and probably do need to live on extreme diet restrictions. My Dad did too after his heart surgery, but it wasn't life long with him and he still maintains above optimal BP and eats normal now.

I have since moved to another state and working with new doctors. They don't have my history. I just went in to get BP meds and on my first visit and my doctor said something is wrong just from m errartic pulse and a bp of 155/100 in his office. I haven't been back for a follow up, but I have to agree with him. I just wish someone would figure it out so I can go back to living a normal life. I know something is wrong with my Diastolic.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
I disagree, I know my body and I know something is wrong.
On this, we agree.......

Quote:
My BP will be 118/83 and I laugh and feel some strange surge and I check my BP and it will be 128/117! I can be laying in bed and tak emy BP and it will be 120/86, I get up to do something and get back in bed and it's up to 155/110. That's not diet! Something else is wrong. The diastolic is usually in the 90's. This morning I was lucky and my BP was 113/74. That's short lived and happens as often and we get a full eclipse but I get excited when I see numbers like that.
A messed up metabolism, caused by too many calories in one's diet is partially responsible for these types of symptoms, IMHO.

Of course, as I have posted many times, there are other things besides too many calories that can cause higher blood pressure.

There are:
  • many MANY common, ordinary things or triggers which cause higher blood pressure,
  • plus things like stress and anxiety,
  • plus genetic factors,
  • plus defects in one's body,
  • plus clogging of the arteries.

What I do for my own health is make my metabolism as healthy as possible:
  • through diet,
  • through exercise,
  • through the most effective "healing" medications
  • and through avoiding things and irritants that cause higher blood pressure.

Quote:
I am aware you are big on the diet thing, but my old cardio told me we all all different and our causes are different. What works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another.
I have a different view than you on this point.

Doctors ALWAYS take the same, approach to ALL OF US when it comes to lowering a patient's blood pressure. They all prescribe medications which attempt to alter our metabolisms by blocking various hormones that excite the heart and constrict the arteries.

It's only logical that an unbalanced or unhealthy metabolism makes it more difficult for these "blocking" medications to work correctly.

Quote:
You have a lot going on and probably do need to live on extreme diet restrictions. My Dad did too after his heart surgery, but it wasn't life long with him and he still maintains above optimal BP and eats normal now
Ho ha! Good news for me, these days! I have increased the calories in my diet, and, although my blood pressure is higher, it is still in a healthy range.

Plus...... I am eating much larger and more enjoyable meals! I love my diet. Buts...... for someone else, starting out to make their metabolism balanced and healthier, I suggest a small meal, low calorie, healthy, quality diet.

Quote:
I just wish someone would figure it out so I can go back to living a normal life. I know something is wrong with my Diastolic.
I wish you much luck in resolving your health problems. I will stop pestering you about the calories and the quality of your diet, or if your diet is healthy. There are a lot of documents and medical journals regarding the link between calories and also the quality of one's diet and high blood pressure, but sadly, most would rather search endlessly for a magic pill to solve all of their blood pressure problems.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-02-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
That's not diet! Something else is wrong.
Oh..... a few last questions, if you don't mind.....

What is the balance in your meals of proteins, carbs and fats?

What is your approximate calorie load per day, how many meals; and do you follow Glycemic Index and/or Glycemic Load guidelines in your diet?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-02-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have no idea. I eat oatmeal or raisin bran with skim milk in the AM... usually skip lunch, if I do eat lunch it's usually a salad or a sandwch or bagel, dinner can be anyting to chicken to a sandwich.

Sometimes I eat fruit and more veggies. it's different everyday.

My doctor ran some tests on me... these are my non fastinging numbers
glucose 96

chlo 180

hdl 72

ldl 109

trigly 131

thyroid 0.99

Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Flutterbye77 those numbers are quite good.

However, believe it or not, your high blood pressure could still be caused by your diet! You've not only got to eat a healthy, balanced diet; but there are certain foods which can cause blood pressure problems. You could eat the healthiest diet in the world, but still react to certain foods, which would constantly keep your blood pressure up. I found this out through taking my blood pressure 30,000 times in 12 years, rather than having to sit around, do nothing and worry about my blood pressure all the time. As a result, I can control my blood pressure almost all the time.

I sincerely hope that you can unlock the puzzle of your blood pressure, like I have unlocked the puzzle of mine, though a very healthy, low calorie, balanced diet; avoiding things that cause higher blood pressure, exercise and taking the most effective medication for me.

I have been able to link certain things with my chronically high blood pressure by taking my blood pressure over 32000 times since 1998 and then figuring out exactly what was causing my dangerous, awful high blood pressure and then taking the appropriate actions. My efforts, though many would consider them extreme, have resulted in very healthy blood pressure, 24 hours per day, hour after hour, day after day, year after year; and a resultant very good quality of life; for someone like me with Heart Failure!

Best of luck and health for you in the New Year!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-02-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thats why I think something is very wrong. It's mainly my diastolic thats always high and spikes on me. My pulse races a lot and I have to sit down. I don't understand why they can't find it!

Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

If there is high resistance from narrowed blood vessels, Mitral Valve stenosis, and or left ventrical walls that do not relax normally, there can be a higher than normal diastolic pressure.

The Following User Says Thank You to started04 For This Useful Post:
Flutterbye77 (01-01-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by started04 View Post
If there is high resistance from narrowed blood vessels, Mitral Valve stenosis, and or left ventrical walls that do not relax normally, there can be a higher than normal diastolic pressure.
Is that fixable or something horrible I will have to strugle with for the rest of my life.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

By the way I was watching the 1000 pound ton dad on TV today. I saw a reading of his blood pressure and it's better then mine!! That guy eats nothing but junk, no exercise because he couldn't get out of bed. His diastolic was 70!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Those kind of things are fixable with medication, not surgery. Most types of hypertension are managed witih medication after failing diet fixes. There isn't a pill that you take, to fix HTN and you stop taking it.

Pup

Old 01-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wasn't sure of my hypertension was caused from something that required surgery. My Dad had his first heart attack at 30. He has had 4 open heart surgeries since. I figured I was going to end up like him.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

a heart attack is caused by a blood clot and/or a narrow vessel in the heart clogging up. Hypertension doesn't cause a heart attack- perhaps heart failure CHF.

Pup

Closed Thread