It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

TiffanyL HB User
Question Tachycardia help please?!?

I was in the hospital for cardiac observation and testing. I went to the er, and the ekg showed tachycardia and WPW. I was admitted to the cardiac ward. Nuclear tests were done, and showed no damage or plaques. I was discharged with nitro and instructions for taking an aspirin a day. I have had chest pain and palpitations since then. I take toporal for the tachycardia daily, but I do not want to take the nitro. It causes severe headaches, and I was instructed to go to the hospital if I do take the nitro.. I have a son, and I need to be there for him. Going to the hospital is not really realistic for every time I experience heart symptoms. Is nitro even appropriate for tachycardia and/or WPW? Any help and insights are appreciated.
TiffanyL

Old 01-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
(female)

CindyB67 HB User
Re: Tachycardia help please?!?

Most likely your Metroprolol is to slow down your heart rate and the nitro is to ease the pain you experience from the rapid heart rate. At least for me that is what sends me to the ER the pain and discomfort not necessarily the fast heart beats because many times I am unaware how fast my heart it going.

I have young children too and I have not found my nitros affect me adversely so it interferes with me taking care of my children, but everyone reacts differently.

In fact I have jokingly told my cardio and er drs and nurses just have a bottle of nitro and heperin reserved for me every 2 months so I can get my fix and I would be just fine....so far they haven't been convinced too much by my request. lol

edited to add, I reread your post and you stated how the nitro gave you headache so how did they control your pain and rapid heart beats in the hospital? For me it is always getting hooked up to a bottle of nitro and heperin and if my blood pressure gets too high maybe magnesium which Magnesium does give me headaches....but what I am trying to say if they know they give you headaches what do they use and can they give you something similar at home???

Last edited by CindyB67; 01-03-2011 at 01:16 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to CindyB67 For This Useful Post:
TiffanyL (01-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
(female)

TiffanyL HB User

Thanks for your help with me understanding the medications. I am reluctant to take the nitro since it gives me a very bad headache. I was told to go to the er if I take one or more nitro pills. I haven't taken the nitro since my last hospital stay for cardiac observation. I hate having my son in the er, and then having him stay with family while I am in the hospital. So, it will probably take a lot of pain and other symptoms to get me to go in for cardiac issues. I am still trying to sort all of this out. Any other input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Tiffany

Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

TiffanyL HB User

Thanks Cindy. They gave me zofran and morphine in the er along with a nitro patch. I was given the metoprolol for the tachycardia. Then, when I was on the cardiac floor, I was given percocet and zoforan for pain and nausea. I really hate narcotics, and I am reluctant to accept a script for percocet. So, I am not sure what the options are.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Ok, so I think if I understand it correctly they pushed the pain relievers/narcotics over the Nitro. They did that before I had triple bypass surgery last month when the Nitro wasn't really relieving the pain, they resorted to the narcotics. So when the Nitro causes your head aches is it relieving your heart pain at all??? Like could be an allergic reaction type thing to where they need to give you Benedryl before or right after???

I am no dr. all I can go by is my personal experiences but I would think that they would send you home with something similar only in pill form that they used in the hospital to control your pain. So them sending you home with Nitro when they know it causes you problems is confusing to me.

BTW I am allergic to morphine so I have to always make sure they know that before they try to give me a pain killer, since that seems to be their drug of choice...I'm sorry 1 second of relief isn't worth the major itching all over I have to suffer for hours later. But I was told until the ER drs and nurses made an executive decision to classify it as an allergy that if they would only give me benedryl right before or right after it would alleviate the itching...so I am wondering if you took like tylenol or ibuprofen before the nitro if that would keep the headache from coming because that is so weird to me they sent it home as a med. when they know it causes you symptoms...Have you called your dr. about it and asked why and see if they have any other alternatives, because unfortunately since you have already needed them once, you could very well need them again but praying you don't!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
(female)

TiffanyL HB User

Thank you Cindy. The nitro did help. When they took the nitro patch off at 2 in the morning, I was having chest pain within an hour. I had the nurses in my room with them giving me a total of 3 nitro pills before I started feeling better. I can take morphine and percocet with benadryl. I can't take dilaudid period. I have been able to take darvocet for years, but the FDA no longer approves it. I agree with you about the morphine. It doesn't last very long, and the itching goes on for a couple of days. I always ask before someone gives me meds. because I have had medications prescribed and even given to me that are on my allergy list. That happened during my last 3 hospitalizations. So, I am confused with all of this. I just probably call my cardiologist even though I have had my follow up with my pcp. I am supposed to take an aspirin each day now, too.
Tiffany

Old 01-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Yeah, I would definitely talk to your cardiologist if you have questions or side effects from any of the medicines that were prescribed.

I am on aspirin too. I think that is standard as a blood thinner for anyone who has cardiac issues, because...I had a Triple Bypass the Monday after Thanksgiving of this year and I was there 8 days afterwards and then came home for 5 days and went back because I got anemic and dehydrated and because of these factors I didn't realize my blood sugar was bottoming out and my husband found me unresponsive and so back to the hospital I went...all this to tell you well I guess during the blood work they found some microscopic blood in my urine (which means it can't be seen my the human eye just under the microschope) and so my primary care dr. really wanted me off all blood thinners thinking that was what was causing my anemia because they had already given me 4 units of blood from my surgery and now I needed 2 more so anyway...My cardio took me off my effient which is another form or plavix but he stood firm and wouldn't let me stop my aspirin at all in fact I think the nurse said it was a categorical NO lol.

What I have always been told is that if I have any questions you need to ask them because it is your health. No question is too dumb! Stay well and don't stress!!!! Calm thoughts!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
(female)

TiffanyL HB User

Cindy, I am sorry that you have had to go through so much. I am glad that you are drawing off of your experiences to help me and others. I did call my cardiologist today, and am be referred to an electrocardiologist to have some tests done, and then will go from there. I guess they will look at my electrical issues. My cardiologist did not understand why they gave me nitro for chest pain due to electrical issues. I passed the stress test, so that indicated that I am having cardiac issues related to WPW and tachycardia. At least, this is how the nurse explained things to me today. It seems like this will all be figured out one step at a time.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Tiffany,

While I being sick or ill is no fun, I keep telling everyon that I am glad it is me and not them because it is no fun and I have always said I believe that God allows us to experience things in our life so that later on we can help someone else along that road and make the storm a little more easy for them

What is WPW??? Is it something electrical??? My Tachycardia I guess is related to everything else going on and they haven't really ever tried to figure out why it likes to race at times. They just treat it and slow it down and hope it stays that way for a while lol. That would be good if they could figure out your causes and fix it so then you won't have to be bothered by it anymore.

Like my drs and nurses all say...Stay calm...no stress and go to your happy place lol.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
(male)

jahennes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB67 View Post
Tiffany,

While I being sick or ill is no fun, I keep telling everyon that I am glad it is me and not them because it is no fun and I have always said I believe that God allows us to experience things in our life so that later on we can help someone else along that road and make the storm a little more easy for them
Well said, Cindy. There is a Divine pupose for all we go through. I couldn't imagine the suffering we experience in this world, without knowing Him.

Thanks,

Jack

The Following User Says Thank You to jahennes For This Useful Post:
CindyB67 (01-09-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
(female)

TiffanyL HB User

Most definitely.

Closed Thread