It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
(male)

Pato HB User
Svt

Having suffered my first two attacks of SVT last year, I would be interested in knowing how long these attacks can last. Both times I was admitted to ER.
The first attack lasted about 5 hours, and the second attack lasted 7.30 hours.
How long can these attacks last before resolving themselves please.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
(female)

ruzalily HB User
Re: Svt

I have had an episode that was about two minutes long, and one as long as two and a half hours. They both ended spontaneously. I have had others of varying lengths in between that were aborted with medication. Lily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
(male)

Pato HB User

Thanks for your reply. How long have your suffered from SVT.? I find that I am feeling a little apprehensive about these attacks, not knowing when, or where, my next attack may occur. I guess others have the same feeling.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
(female)

ruzalily HB User

Actually I have had them almost all of my life. I had my first episode at 18 when I was still in high school, and I'm now 44. I am fortunate enough to only have had about six or seven episodes in those years, because even though it is a "benign" process, it is scary. I get short of breath, shaky, my limbs tingle and when the episode is over, I urinate about three or four times within the next hour. I guess it has something to do with the adrenal response while the heart is racing. My episodes have usually been triggered by a physical motion, like bending over, laying on my right side, exercising, etc. A few times I have had PVC's which have caused my heart to beat faster for a few seconds following, but my heartbeat seems to regulate itself in those instances. My heart also tends to beat faster after I eat or have caffeine, so I avoid big meals and I stay away from caffeine completely. This type of arrhythmia is not the same as the SVT, but it's still too fast and uncomfortable, too. I'm sorry that you now have to deal with it, and hopefully you won't have very many episodes. Going 5 and 7 hours with SVT is way too long - you must have been so uncomfortable! I hope that you have seen someone since being in the ER, and you have been given some medication to resolve the SVT if it happens again. I was on Propranalol for years, to take only if I have an episode. But recently my doctor switched me to Toprol XL, which I have not had to try yet (thank goodness). I hope this information helps! Lily

Old 01-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

Hi, Pato,
It's scary not knowing, you're so right about that.
My cardiologist told me not to go longer than four hours before going to the ER.
Have you found a good cardiologist yet?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
(male)

Pato HB User

ruzalily, I appreciate your comments. The more I learn about this horrible complaint the better. I was interested about you lying on your right side causing it, as I am sure I read where someone had problems when lying on their left side. I guess it affects people differently. Yes. I had all the tests since my trips to ER and am on suitable medication, however, my Doctor said it may happen again, something to look forward to eh.? Fortunately, I wasn't in too much stress at ER, and although I was given medication the episodes resolved themselves.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
(male)

Pato HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderella View Post
Hi, Pato,
It's scary not knowing, you're so right about that.
My cardiologist told me not to go longer than four hours before going to the ER.
Have you found a good cardiologist yet?
Yes. I am being well looked after but it is the fear of the unknown that is the worry. I am getting conflicting advice about how long to leave it before going to ER. A paramedic said to call an ambulance immediately. The heart doctor at ER said to wait about two hours, and then my GP said if it happened during the night I could wait until the next morning, so they all have difference ideas. I guess it will all be sorted in the end. Cheers.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
(female)

ruzalily HB User

Pato,
I think that the time to go to the ER is when you are ready. If you have an episode and take meds to abort it and they work, you don't need to worry about going in. If it won't resolve, it's probably your best judgment as to when you need to go to the ER. The paramedic is probably being conservative, because he doesn't have information about your diagnosis. Your cardiologist is probably the best one to be giving you a time frame, but again, you should do what you're comfortable with depending on how you feel during the episode. Yes, laying on my right side seems to irritate my heart enough to encourage SVT to start. My cardiologist said that the area of my heart that has the extra electrical pathway is probably aggravated by pressure when I lay on that side. I guess those pathways can be anywhere for anyone, so it seems that mine is somewhere on the right. I know how difficult and stressful it is when you are anticipating when the next episode may happen, but remember that there is a possibility that it will never happen to you again. What medication did your doctor give you, and do you take it every day or only if you have SVT? Lily

Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
(male)

Pato HB User

Lily, Appreciate your further comments. I guess you are correct about when to go into ER. I have not been in pain just a little stomach discomfort each time. If it wasn't for that I would not have known my HR was high. I hope you are correct and it doesn't happen again. I am not going to worry too much about it. It is good to hear from people like yourself and to read other posts on here, as it gives me a little more confirdence about the condition. I am taking Diltiazem daily which is getting my BP down and also my HR. I Also take daily Aspirin to thin the blood. I am now in the senior citizen group so I guess I must expect something to eventually go wrong, eh.? I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope that you are right about no further episodes. Cheers,
Pat.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
(female)

ruzalily HB User

Pat,
I'm happy to share with you, especially if it gives you some reassurance. As for the senior citizen group, stay young at heart and the rest will follow. Be happy and healthy! :-) Lily

Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
(female)

karensk HB User

Pato, The reason the paramedic told you to call immediately if you are uncomfortable with an SVT episode is that (at least in our region) the paramedics carry Adenosine so they can break the episode, and they could even get an order to electrically cardiovert you if the Adenosine didn't convert your rhythm. So you'd get some definitive treatment before even getting to an ER.

(My husband's been a paramedic for years and I have SVT).

I am sick and tired of the episodes. They are getting more and more frequent and I'm considering ablation.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
(male)

Pato HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karensk View Post
Pato, The reason the paramedic told you to call immediately if you are uncomfortable with an SVT episode is that (at least in our region) the paramedics carry Adenosine so they can break the episode, and they could even get an order to electrically cardiovert you if the Adenosine didn't convert your rhythm. So you'd get some definitive treatment before even getting to an ER.

(My husband's been a paramedic for years and I have SVT).

I am sick and tired of the episodes. They are getting more and more frequent and I'm considering ablation.
I am not sure that paramedics in NZ do carry Adenosine because that is what I was given when taken to ER. I can understand you getting sick of the episodes, I know I will feel the same if they continue. How long do your episodes usually last.?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
(female)

karensk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato View Post
I am not sure that paramedics in NZ do carry Adenosine because that is what I was given when taken to ER. I can understand you getting sick of the episodes, I know I will feel the same if they continue. How long do your episodes usually last.?
Didn't realize you were in NZ, sorry about that.

I volunteered on the ambulance for many years, so I know all the "tricks" for breaking SVT like Valsalva and carotid sinus massage. My longest one has lasted only 10 minutes luckily (I was bearing down like mad and massaging the carotid, but it didn't want to break like always). However, one occurred while driving on the interstate with my three children in the car, and obviously I was not OK with that!

Also recently, after the episodes I have extreme fatigue (like "bonking" during strenuous exercise) and horribly frequent urination. Before I could break them and go right back to feeling okay.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
(male)

Pato HB User

Had another SVT attack last week which lasted 10 hours this time. Went to ED. My HR was constantly around 135. Two hours before I reverted to my normal HR, I was given a Metaprolol tablet, but they are not sure if this did the trick or I just reverted naturally. The last trip to ED I was given Adenosine but this only momonentarily reverted my HR so it wasn't tried on this occasion. I have searched the Forum and I can't see where anyone else has had such long periods of high HR. Am I unique.?
Has anyone else experienced my problem.? The hospital cardiology now suggest that I have infrequent tachy-arrhythmias which is likely to be atrial tachycardia, in particular SVT and less likely to be atrial fibrillation. Can anyone relate to this please.?

Closed Thread