It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
(female)

Brianasoccer HB User
Low blood pressure/ heart beat HELP!!!

I am a well conditioned athlete who plays soccer all the time. I am 18yrs old, female. A few months ago I came back from a soccer tournament and the next week i passed out twice. Since that tournament i have had chronic fatigue, orthostatic hypotension (that gets worse after exercise, even if i don't sweat), some nights i wake up and can't sleep but i am so tired i can't even move. I can no longer find the energy to exercise. My blood sugar randomly drops low in the middle of the night and i have lost weight. I have had a 24 heart monitor, tilt table test, cat scan, plenty of blood work, glucose tolerance test, stress test, ecocardiogram. Tilt-table diagnosed me with syncope and orthostatic hypotension, the doctors also diagnosed me with hypoglycemia and low blood pressure and bradycardia. My pulse will sometimes drop as low at 29bpm. The doctors don't seem concerned with that though since I am an athlete. Blood work came back normal. Oh and i have been missing my period lately.

Can any of these symptoms be related? No one can seem to figure out what is wrong with me!! I need help!!! Right now I am on a vasoconstrictor medication, midodrine, to help with the orthostatic hypotension but it doesn't seem to help a lot. I eat tons of salt and drink plenty of fluids and a very healthy diet.

Please if anyone has any possible answers to my symptoms let me know!

Thanks so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
(female)

ruzalily HB User
Re: Low blood pressure/ heart beat HELP!!!

Hello Briana,
Wow, it sounds like you have been going through quite a lot since that soccer tournament. It also sounds like you have been followed by good physicians who have run a wide variety of tests. It seems like something at the tournament could have triggered this sudden change in your health. Where was the tournament? Is is possible that you had a tic bite? Lyme disease can cause a wide variety of weird symptoms and health problems. Did you eat anything unusual? Any seafood? H. Pylori bacteria could cause strange symptoms as well, although I don't know about it causing problems with blood pressure. One other thought would be to have a gyn exam to make sure that everything is functioning properly in that area. It's not unusual for athletes to skip periods, as you know, but hormonal imbalances can definitely cause the body to do funny things. Has your thyroid been checked? Hypothyroid may be a possibility. You may also want to see an endocrinologist if you haven't already. I'm sorry you are having to go through this, especially at such a young age, but there will be an answer out there for you. I hope you start to feel better soon, and I hope that some of these suggestions will help you. Take care, Lily

Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
(female)

Brianasoccer HB User

Thank you so much for your reply!! The tournament was in Tampa, Fl so I doubt that I got a tic bite. I didn't eat anything usual either, no seafood or anything. My thyroid has been checked and they said it is perfect. I have been to the endocrinologist but all he did is run a few blood tests and suggest i see a neurologist who said i was fine and sent me to a cardiologist. The doctors aren't sure what is causing any of this so I have just been bouncing around from one doc to another.

My new theory is it is something like adrenal fatigue or something. Idk. I will take any suggests right now because I am clueless and I just want to get better. Thank you for your reply!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
(female)

ruzalily HB User

Well, hmmmm, this is really puzzling and I'm sure that you are very frustrated and want to resume your normal life again! When you had your bloodwork done, were your Vitamin D and B12 levels checked? Deficiencies in both can cause noticeable health problems, including pernicious anemia. Hemoglobin, hematocrit and ferritin for iron deficiency anemia? Adrenal exhaustion or insufficiency are possible. Did the endocrinologist check your cortisol? There are many blood tests and an MRI that is usually done to diagnose an adrenal problem, but I would think an endocrinologist would have covered that. I have an adrenal adenoma (benign tumor on my adrenal gland) and it is not producing hormones or causing any ill effects, so I just have it checked through MRI every few years. That could be something to ask your doctor about. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post other websites here, but if you do an internet search for Lab Tests Online, you will find lab tests related to health conditions and compare them to what your docs have already ordered for you. You might want to think about seeing another endocrinologist for a second opinion. I wish I had more to offer you, but hang in there, you will find an answer! Lily

Closed Thread

Tags
bradycardia, low blood pressure, syncope