It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
(male)

carabuser HB User
Angiogram safe ?

Hello,

I was getting a little short of breath at times, with a little burning in my chest, I am out of shape so keep this in mind when answering, so I went to my primary doctor and he found my blood pressure was 160/80 so he put me on metoprolol 25 mg in addition to the benazapril that I was already on, also I am on crestor.

After that my BP went down to 120/78 and I have not been short of breath or got the burning in my chest, but I have not done to much physical exertion other than lite walking. He sent me to a cardiologist and he did a nuclear stress test and said he saw a part in my heart that was not getting as good a blood flow as he would like and now he want to do an angiogram and was talking about stents and even heart surgery if necessary.

I have heard that there can be numerous problems with angiograms, tearing of vessels and clots and some times if they put a stent in it does not stay clear which could mean open heart bypass to fix, I really don't want a catheter up my leg going into my heart and arteries etc.. if I dont have to.

My mother went in for elective bypass, and she died about 5 days after the surgery, so you can see why I am a little worried.

If you have had an angiogram or know someone that has, please let me know the outcome.

Thank you and have a nice day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00472.jpg (96.5 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Angiogram safe ?

carabuser,
I suffered a Cardiac Arrest during my angiogram in 2009, sadly it's one of the risks.
I had triple bypass surgery soon afterwards and now feel great.

An angiogram is the only 100% way of knowing if you have blocked arteries.
It could also save your life.

Last edited by Vyking; 01-18-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

I got 3 in 48 hours to place 5 stents and a balloon pump connected to a computer.

That was 3 years ago, when I suffered a heart attack. So far I feel perfect.

Yes, it has risks but minimal, and the alternative is a heart attack.

Jesus

Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

The risk of Cardiac Arrest during an angiogram (Cardiac Cath) proceedure is 1 in 500 or 0.2% - the risk is small, however it is still there.

Last edited by Vyking; 01-19-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User

yes they are safe! Like all procedures there are pros and cons. I understand you concern with what happened to your mother. But since you have family history it is even more important for you to have one. The earlier the better. If you have a heart blockage and it is recent then you can have a stent placed to reopen the vessel. There are different types of stents out there that can be used. Some of them have a medicine coating to prevent clotting while others you will have to be put on meds post cath. The people that I see come back into the Cath lab with their stents closed are the people that do not take their meds post cath. If you dont have the angiogram and you have blockages in your heart you are more likely to have to have open heart. Because once the vessels have been closed for too long they cant be reopened. Like I say to everyone.. you are the Patient.. you have the say on what you want done. Check out these sites.. they might help.

< edited >

Good luck!!

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-22-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User

Cathlabgirl,

I had a 95% blocked LAD and had a 4mm medicated stent put in, Dr said all others were clear no problem. I now take palvix,full strength aspirin, simvistatin...My HDL is 91, LDL is 80, Trys 45.

I bike everyday min 25 minutes at 137 bpm heart rate and im 51 yrs old and otherwise healthy. Weight is good and I eat right.

Am I to believe my stent will never plug up ?? Or any of the other arteries plug ?? I hope thats true but I hear horror stories...

Old 01-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

WoW...

Congratulations CVMan, if have not done a typo mistakes you have the best cholesterol numbers that I have seen!!

No reason not to be optimistic!!

Jesus

Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
(male)

carabuser HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathlabgirl View Post
yes they are safe!

Thank you for the reply, I guess if I have it I will be awake and I will be able to tell them if I want a stent ? etc....

The problem is, once you go down that road there is no turning back, if I get a stent and it get stenosis, then I will have to have it removed or if it is not possible to redo, then I would have to have bypass ?

One more question, if the block is less that 70 percent or so, can meds be used instead of stent ?

Thank you again

Last edited by carabuser; 01-23-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

There is CT angiograms, and MRI angiograms that that can be a substitue for a cath angiogram. I had a cath angiogram and stent implant 7 years ago. A year or so ago I had a ct angiogram and calcium score evaluation. The ct angiogram can assess myocardium perfusion (blood movement) and with the newer technology and software it is as good as an interventional procedure. The advantage of a cath angiogram there can be a stent implant at the same time, and sometimes a doctor may implant a stent when the symptoms can be controlled with medication...I have a totally blocked LAD, 70% blocked circumflex...the RCA has been stented. I do very well with medciation...wit a fast paced exercised routine 3 times a week, I take a nitrate to prevent angina (chest pain due to reduced blood flow with the increase of demand).

The newer technology for CT scans provides high resolution images of the heart and vessels can identify calcified and non-calcified plaques and blockage even in the early stage of coronary artery narrowing. CT scanning with 64 separate scans (multi sliced) provides a detailed cross-section view of the heart wall and shows the amount of volume and unstable plaque.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
(male)

carabuser HB User

Thank you for your reply,

I am trying to get a CT angiogram approved, my insurace does not automatically pay for it, I will have to pay 20% if it is approved, so hopefully it wont be too much out of pocket. I just called earlier today to find out

Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabuser View Post
Thank you for your reply,

I am trying to get a CT angiogram approved, my insurace does not automatically pay for it, I will have to pay 20% if it is approved, so hopefully it wont be too much out of pocket. I just called earlier today to find out
Most insurance providers are more than willing to pay if a patient can avoid cath angiogram and a stent implant! Sometimes a CT scan is not used as a diagnostic procedure but is used to determine degree of soft and hard plaque and to provide some predictabily for a probable future event involving the heart.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
(male)

carabuser HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by started04 View Post
Most insurance providers are more than willing to pay if a patient can avoid cath angiogram and a stent implant! Sometimes a CT scan is not used as a diagnostic procedure but is used to determine degree of soft and hard plaque and to provide some predictabily for a probable future event involving the heart.
Still waiting to hear from them, I would think that it would not have to be approved, since they didn't need to pre-approve the cath angiogram, I will never understand insurance companies, my cardiologist said they pay for more expensive tests than CT angiograms without pre-approval ?

Anyway I want to avoid the cath angiogram because a prominent non-invasive cardiologist said that things can happen, 5,000 heart attacks, 5,000 strokes, and 30,000 other vascular accidents. There are also 59,000 cases of kidney failure that require dialysis due to the toxic effect of the dye used in the angiogram on the kidney. The result is 7,000 needless deaths (per year !)
from a test that is many times too often prescribed

If I have to have a stent I quess I will do the cath (no other choice) but would rather see if the CT can find anything, dont want them messing around with my heart and arteries if I don't have to.

Thank you for your help, Have a good day

Last edited by carabuser; 01-28-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User

Quote:
Still waiting to hear from them, I would think that it would not have to be approved, since they didn't need to pre-approve the cath angiogram, I will never understand insurance companies, my cardiologist said they pay for more expensive tests than CT angiograms without pre-approval ?

Anyway I want to avoid the cath angiogram because a prominent non-invasive cardiologist said that things can happen, 5,000 heart attacks, 5,000 strokes, and 30,000 other vascular accidents. There are also 59,000 cases of kidney failure that require dialysis due to the toxic effect of the dye used in the angiogram on the kidney. The result is 7,000 needless deaths (per year !)
from a test that is many times too often prescribed

If I have to have a stent I quess I will do the cath (no other choice) but would rather see if the CT can find anything, dont want them messing around with my heart and arteries if I don't have to.

Thank you for your help, Have a good day
Hi!

Just a FYI. They also use contrast Dye for the CTA of your heart. And it is a lot of radiation for the procedure. But yes still less invasive. If they find something on the CTA, they cant fix it and you still might have to have a Angio done.. which means more dye and radiation.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
(male)

carabuser HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathlabgirl View Post
Hi!

Just a FYI. They also use contrast Dye for the CTA of your heart. And it is a lot of radiation for the procedure. But yes still less invasive. If they find something on the CTA, they cant fix it and you still might have to have a Angio done.. which means more dye and radiation.

Hello,

Thank you for the information, yea that is going to be a lot of radiation if I have to do both, and I just had a nuclear stress test a few weeks ago, sheesh ! the only good thing I have on my side is that there is no history of cancer in my family, unfortunately there is a history of heart problems

Do you know at what percentage of blockage they usually start using a stent instead of just meds ?

Thank you in advance, Have a nice day

Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for the information, yea that is going to be a lot of radiation if I have to do both, and I just had a nuclear stress test a few weeks ago, sheesh ! the only good thing I have on my side is that there is no history of cancer in my family, unfortunately there is a history of heart problems

Do you know at what percentage of blockage they usually start using a stent instead of just meds ?

Thank you in advance, Have a nice day
Hi,

Depends on the Patient and the Dr. I Cant really give you a percentage. It also depends on where the blockage is too. Sorry! I am wondering why you have so many questions. What is your Dr. telling you and do you trust him? If you have a good Cardiologist you should have all your questions answered. They should be on the up and up on the current studies on which stents are better then others.

And.. looking on the bright side... Heart Disease is something you can help prevent!! Cancer isnt!

Closed Thread