It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
(male)

Roy 43 HB User
Very Worried

Dear All

I am a newbie here. As the header says I had a quaruple heart bypass nine years ago, when I was 49. To some degree I can only blame myself given my lifestyle at the time, but you know the old saying "it will never happen to me". Well it did.

I can honestly say that my bypass was a total success, it was carried out by Mr Mediratta at The Liverpool Heart and Chest Clinic. A real Gent with a fantastic bedside manner.

On or around August 2010 I was not feeling very well, I consulted with my cardiologist who booked me in for a chemical stress test. When the results came back I was told that all my bypass grafts were in prestige condition. I was very reluctant to believe this as I was not feeling at all well and was having both chest and throat pains. Nothing to the same magnitude some nine years earlier, but still uncomfortable.

I complained further and had to attend the hospital to have and angiogram with contrast, I had to stay in the day ward. My cardiologist visited me later that day after my angiogram. I could tell by his face that I was going to be given bad news. He told me that three of my bypass grafts were in perfect condition but one to the right hand side of my heart I beleive it's a vein graft from my leg was completely blocked and they were not in a position to do anything about it. My heart surgeon told me he did not want to open my chest again as he could damage the three good grafts but there was nowhere to bypass the blocked graft to in any case.

Given the fact that I was extremely upset my cardiologist told me there was a possibility I could have laser angioplasty. I questioned him on how successful this procedure was likely to be, at first he said 50/50 then changed his mind and said 40/60 against. Nevertheless I thought this option was better than nothing.

It was coming up to Christmas 2010 and I found I was having chest and throat pains at rest, my wife reported it to my cardiologists secretary, my cardiologist then telephone me and asked me to present myself at the hospital on Christmas Eve for another chemical stress test. I couldn't believe what he told me after having the stress test. He said that I had suffered yet another heart attack, one being prior to my bypass and the one that has just been diagnosed. On this basis he told me that the laser angioplasty was now out of the question as it appears that the site of the heart attack is where the vein is blocked off.

I was prescribed nicorandil which has not made any difference but he has also now presribed me beta blockers bispropol and quite honestly I do not get along with beta blockers as all.

Please excuse the long topic but can anyone tell me any surgeon/cardiologist who could possibly give me some alternatives other than medication. I am quite prepared to undergo further surgery, as I don't feel that well and could not go on feeling like this.

I would just like a little bit of life back.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Roy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User
Re: Very Worried

Hi,
Are you saying that when you "was having chest and throat pains at rest" they make you a chemical stress test? Without previously checking if you were suffering a HA?

And what has your medication been during those 9 years, and in particular since August?

Reading your post it seems that it is just know when you are starting your medication.

In the other hand if the new infarct has destroyed the part of your heart that was irrigated by the blocked bypass, then the pain should had disappeared because the rest of your heart it is properly irrigated.

If I were you I will look definitely for a second opinion.

Also if you still have anginas, be aware that know exist a new anti-angina medicament (ranolazine) that does not work dilating the vessels but reducing the cardiac metabolism. In same cases it works.

Jesus

Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
(male)

Roy 43 HB User
Re: Very Worried

Dear Jesus

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

When I had my bypass I was put on blood pressure medication, cholesterol lowering meds and aspirin.

Back in August when I started feeling unwell and they carried out the first chemical stress test they said everything was fine, but I was not convinced as I didn't feel well and so they gave me an agiogram which showed that one of my bypasses had failed. I still continued to have pain at rest and so they gave me a second chemical stress test on Christmas Eve, this showed that I had a heart attack somewhere after my first chemical stress test in August and the date of this one.

You are right in what you are saying though it is supposedly in the place that my bypass has failed.

The medication I have now been given is Nicorandil 10mg and Bisoprolol 1.25mg along with my blood pressure medication, cholesterol meds and aspirin.

I am trying to get a second opinion but don't really know who would be the best to go to.

Many thanks
Roy

Closed Thread