It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
(male)

Perry2 HB User
side effects from COQ10, ResV, flush Niacin etc?

When I am on these along with Zinc, Carnitine and Potassium for a while, I get the occasional feeling of palpitation, almost like a small GI spasm. These are supplwements to lower cholesterol and to reduce symptoms of exercise and cold induced angina.I am not on any RX yet, altho did a Nuclear stress test today.

When I lay off the supplelments, esp the Q10, the palpitation or spasm seems to go away after a few days.

Has anyone ever had a GI spasm due to over the counter supplements like these?

Has anyone ever had heart irregularities from this over the counter stuff?

Thanks for any responses. Lindsay

Old 02-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
(male)

greg a HB User
Re: side effects from COQ10, ResV, flush Niacin etc?

I take 200-250mg of CoQ10 daily to combat the effect of my statin Lipitor,,,,never noticed anything else

what dose are you taking ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I've been taking 30mg of Q10 for a long time. I tried 60mg, but each time I tried the increased dosage, it caused palpitations and chest pain, so I am still on 30mg.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
(male)

Perry2 HB User

Thanks for the responses. 100mg of q10 per day. It seems like when I go off it for a while things normal out, and when i go back on, the issues take a few weeks to start up again. I would try a lower dose but for arterial placque i was told no less than 100mg per day plus 1000mg C. Of course, since I now have angina I am taking the claims about reducing plaque as theoretical rather than likely.

I might delete the q10 from my supplement regimen for a while. I have health anxiety already so supplements that have interesting side effects for me are off the menu, at least for now I think. Will rely on Pomegranates for a while

Last edited by Perry2; 02-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Just be aware that Resveratrol, Pomegranate and Grapefruit, will interfere with any statin that you might take, also with the most known "natural" one: the Red Rice Yeast. They can make the statins toxic.

Also Resveratrol, Q10, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and many other antioxidants, produce blood thickness that can induce some bleeding in the stomach that perhaps can explain your GI spasm.

A good place to see side effects of nutrients is the Linus Pauling Institute.

Jesus

Last edited by jeda; 02-10-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
(male)

Perry2 HB User

I am not on a statin so maybe that is why people like Greg can take a much higher dosage without the annoying side effects.

Thanks for the info jrueda. I take the thinning supplements to avoid using baby aspirin. When you describe Red rice Yeast as a statin type, how is that different from other supplements like Krill oil or niacin that act to regulate cholesterol levels?
I would like to get down to a minimum number of supplements and rely on meals and exercise to get my LDL and Trigs to where I want them. Right now I take flax seed oil, niacin, Q10, ResV, magnesium, potassium, garlic, UDOs Oil, zinc, cocoa powder, pom juice, and almonds. Krill oil and pom juice would be a nice place to end up because all these different types, even when broken up during the day are hard on my stomach.

Closed Thread