It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

angelasaeed HB User
Lad

Please tell me what LAD stands for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Lad

LAD = Left Anterior Descending artery.
The LAD is a branch of the Left Main Coronary Artery - if it becomes totally blocked you're as good as dead.

It has the nickname of 'The Widowmaker' for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Vyking; 02-16-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

misty57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyking View Post
LAD = Left Anterior Descending artery.
The LAD is a branch of the Left Main Coronary Artery - if it becomes totally blocked you're as good as dead.

It has the nickname of 'The Widowmaker' for obvious reasons.
Hi, How does that artery differ from the others when it becomes blocked your as good as dead. You would not think so because it is a branch off from the main artery. Thanks, Misty

Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty57 View Post
Hi, How does that artery differ from the others when it becomes blocked your as good as dead. You would not think so because it is a branch off from the main artery. Thanks, Misty
Because the Left Main Coronary Artery is approximately the width of a soda straw and is less than an inch long.

It branches into two slightly smaller arteries:
The Left Anterior Descending artery and the Left Circumflex artery.

From memory the LAD supplies blood to 2/3 of the heart.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty57 View Post
I have had a totally blocked LAD first known 7 years ago. It is not necessarily a deatg sentence. As a vessel becomes blocked over a period of time there can be collateral vessel development that helps supply blood to areas that is reduced as the blockage increases. That is my experience, and I am sure there are others with the same result.

There are different configurations of blood vessels and the areas that are perfused. There is the right dominant configuration or left dominate or combination thereof. In a left dominant heart, the entire interventricular septum is supplied by branches of the left coronary artery and the most frequently blocked coronary artery.

The ventricular septum is the wall that separates the right and left ventricles.
The septum serves as a pathway for electrical impulses that originate in the right atrium and travel down the septum and then break away into the right and left ventricals to contract the heart's pumping chambers.

If there is a heart attack from a clot obstruction, etc. of the LAD that will immediately disrupt the pathways of impulses to contract the heart and cardiac arrest will occur.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

I had a 90% blocked LAD which became completely blocked during a coronary angiogram - I suffered sudden cardiac arrest and was revived with a shock from a defibrillator.

A triple bypass fixed my problems.

If the LAD gets abruptly and completely occluded it will cause a massive heart attack that will likely lead to sudden death.
If this happens outside a hospital setting the chances of survival are very very slim.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

An abrupt closing of the LAD can/will cause an MI (myocardial infarction...dead heart cells) and cardiac arrest. A slow growing occlusion of the LAD oftened develops collateral vessels. The etiology is as the occlusion grows, the gradient pressure around a blockage increases and that increases the resistence to blood flow past the occlusion and the blood flow seeks out a pathway of less resistence (thus development of collaterals occur for some individuals). Additionally, if the development of collaterals do not occur or are inadequate, the outcome almost always is heart failure not an ischemic MI.

Most heart attacks are caused by soft plaque within the linings of vessel that rupture the inner linning into the lumen (vessel channel) and causes a clot. The clot breaks away and causes an MI (represents about 90% of MI's). The hard plaque within the lumen grows causing ischemia, and only about 10% break away causing.

Closed Thread