It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
(male)

EricJames HB User
Gas or Heart? better safe than sorry

I've been having a light pressure feeling below my left breast (I am male). This is the second day it has affected me, the other day was at work about 3-5 days ago. it was also in a different place this morning, it was on the side of the rib cage, basically in the same place, but over on the side, more towards the front, but still on the side. Anyway, if I cupped my breast with my right hand it would be where my pinky is, and in line with my nipple. it went away last time, but this time I'm still waiting it out. It's not intense, I do not appear to have a lack of energy or ability to do things, although the anxiety of having it appears to be making me want to just lay down and get some rest. If this is more than likely gas, I'd really appreciate someone letting me know if this could be referred pain or something, I just don't know where all gas can refer itself to, and how long, normally when I get gas pains they are quick and sharp and subside after a while, this is long and dull, and hasn't subsided.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Gas or Heart? better safe than sorry

Your symptoms do not seem to indicate any heat problem. The probability is high for a digestive disorder.

The Following User Says Thank You to started04 For This Useful Post:
EricJames (02-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Did you call your Dr. and ask to be seen? It could very well be just indigestion but I wouldn't take any chances. A week before Thanksgiving my husband had slight chest pressure and indigestion with slight shortness of breath and just felt like sleeping most of the time. We both had slight colds so he assumed it was his cold. This went on and off for about 8 days and I told him...You need to be checked out! He insisted he was fine but I took him to the VA ER on a sunday morning and they admitted him overnight for observation. During the night his Troponin levels went up which indicated he was having some heart problem so on tuesday they did an artery cleaning and put in 2 stents as he did have a very mild heart attack.

Yours could very well be nothing, but to be safe I would have it checked out, as like the VA Drs. told me, it was great I got him there when I did as another week and he would have had a full blown heart attack. He had no other "typical" symptoms of someone having a heart attack.

I don't wish to alarm you but I definately would have it checked, it could be any number of things, including a bad chest cold or pulled muscle etc.

Best regards and well wishes...JJ....

Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
(male)

EricJames HB User

where was the chest pressure? I was checked out a couple months ago with an EKG and all was fine, I smoked cigarettes for 10 years and did hard drugs for 3, opium and dxm, but I've been off of them for almost 2 years now, 1 year off cigarettes, I just can't be running into the doctor every single time I have a pain, because trust me, I HAVE BEEN, so could you be specific where the chest pressure was? mine is not in the center of my chest, hence why I think it may be more some type of indigestion. I'm also 25, at my peak weight, Vegan, and exercise regularly.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
(male)

EricJames HB User

also, what was the shortness of breath like?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hi...his pressure seemed to be across the top of his chest, above his breasts and he felt like he had lousy indigestion and a bit short of breath. It felt to him like flu symptoms, not your typical heart attack ones like you hear about.

He also had an EKG about 2 months before and all was fine that is why he thought nothing of it. It's possible you might have acid reflux as that has similar symptoms. I know what you mean about not wanting to see your Dr. with every little pain and ache, that is why he didn't want to go. I just had some gut feeling something wasn't right, so I followed my instincts.

Have you had a cold or felt like your coming down with something? Maybe you can pick up some Tums or something and see if it helps. Like I said, it could be a pulled muscle or any number of minor things, just don't let it go too long if it doesn't subside. Even if it is some digestive thing, I'm sure they can give you something to ease it, ask your pharmacist.

Good luck and keep us posted how your feeling...JJ....

P.S. His shortness of breath was like he just couldn't take a real deep breath and he got winded at times plus had a cough.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
(male)

EricJames HB User

I actually do think I have a cold coming on... and since I was out in the cold yesterday, it might actually turn into a chest cold, as I feel it ever so slightly in my chest, but I just did a brisk walk for 1.5mi with a break in between halves, not getting winded once, up and downhill... sooooooOOoo? Is it more likely that I'm safe? I just know I worry about stuff so much after quitting drugs. The symptoms seem to go away while walking vs increasing, but they do come back afterwards.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It could very well be a cold and if you did that much walking without getting winded, I think it's time to relax. Naturally if it keeps up then have it checked.

When you touch the area where you have the pain does it hurt more? Usually if it is more sore then it could be muscle soreness. Many colds will do this. Just keep an eye on how your feeling the next few days.

The last 2 weeks during all that snow when I was shoveling I had a pain on the left side and slightly under my arm for a few days. It went away after 2 days of no shoveling, so I attribute it to just plain old muscle aches from shoveling, but it sure did hurt for a few days.

Feel better....JJ.....

Old 02-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
(male)

EricJames HB User

Walked another 3 miles without getting winded really, I mean.. I was drawing in deep breathes up the 45 degree incline for an eighth of a mile, but I basically just kept going all the way. The pain did come back in a different location but same area as I went up, does this kind of physical abuse mean it's more than likely not the heart at all? and I have some weird digestion thing going on?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seriously, I am not a Dr. or nurse so I obviously can't give you a straight answer. My only suggestion is if it keeps up to call your Dr. and have him check you out. Whether it be a digestive problem or not, something needs attending to.

Like I said before, I'm just going by what my husband experienced. Even after I took him to the ER his EKG was fine there but they kept him for observation. During the night his Troponin levels went up indicating a problem and they narrowed it down to a partially blocked artery so hence the surgery and 2 stents. He also has an indigestion problem so he takes some kind of med. for that as well.

Do not try and diagnose yourself, that is what Drs. get paid for. I know you don't wish to go see a Dr. for every little thing, but if it is bothering you get a pros opinion, better safe then sorry. If it is some digestive disorder, that can be taken care of as well, plus you will have peace of mind.

Take care and feel better....JJ....

Old 02-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eric...Maybe you should read some posts on the Digestive Disorders board and see if any sound like what you are experiencing. Hopefully you get some answers soon, either by this board or a visit to your Dr.

If you can walk 3 miles and barely get winded, I kind of suspect NOT a heart problem. My husband got a bit winded just coming up the stairs.

Take care and keep us posted...JJ...

Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
(male)

EricJames HB User

after looking more and more around, I'm almost thinking it may be a mild form of Costochondritis, but of course I'm not sure, I'd still like as many people's well informed opinions as possible, as I cannot see a doctor until Monday without visiting the emergency room again. Thanks for all the quick responses JJ, they are greatly appreciated.

except the pain/sensation is not reproduceable by pressing on it, so it'd have to be slightly deeper than the surface.

Last edited by EricJames; 02-20-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes I couldn't think of the name of it but chest wall pain did come to mind to me. As long as your feeling ok and can do the walking I'd wait till monday and then call your Dr. to see what he/she feels you should do. Maybe he/she will just do a quick check to make sure it is nothing serious..which I doubt.

IMO I don't think a trip to the ER is necessary at this point.

Good luck, keep us posted....JJ.....

Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
(male)

EricJames HB User

Well, I went and they did two vials of blood and an EKG, all came out normal, so I guess I am okay? They never ever give you a straight answer, because anything could happen at any time, but these are pretty good tests to figure out if I'm okay, right? She thought I might just have GERD. I just wish they'd give a straight answer, I guess it's hard when nobody can see inside.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User

I was biking 20 miles a day, hdl=94 ldl=90 weight great, blood work all good, ekg and echo, great....95% blocked LAD

Closed Thread