It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User
Need help for those with experience with heart problems

Hope you can help me. I am a 52 year old female. For the past 2-3 months I have experienced tightness in my chest along with a strange feeling in my throat. Not pain, but a feeling like I swallowed something and it's stuck. It comes and goes but sometimes I have it for several days then it will go away for a day or two. My blood pressure was high for several weeks but has come back down to a normal level. I have been under a lot of stress due to a family problem and I was thinkin that was causing most of my symptoms. I finally made an appointment with my doctor. I explained my symptoms to him but I told him about all the stress I have had during the past year. He did an EKG in the office and it was normal. He said my heart and lungs sounded good. My blood pressure was elevated 140/88, (Not nearly has high as it had been several weeks ago) and he is considering puting me on blood presssure meds...wants me to monitor it for a few weeks. He didn't seem too worried about my heart and didn't think I needed any more tests. I came home releived thinking it probably was stress. Yesterday I took a short bike ride and when I came home my throat had that strange feeling again like I had something stuck or that I needed to "burp"....It lasted all night and I still feel it a little this morning. Have any of you experienced that feeling in your throat? Was it stress or a warning of heart problems? I do know that a normal EKG can not rule out many heart problems. I don't want to ignore a red flag but I also don't want to panic and go to the ER with nothing. I don't have insurance right now so I want to hold off having expensive tests until I get some coverage. It scares me to death that they will find something and I will be denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition. That's part of my stress right now. Do you think I should go back to the doctor and ask for more tests? Okay, I think I know the answer to that question already....go get checked out. Would still like some opinions. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User
Re: Need help for those with experience with heart problems

I have suffered Angina and heart attack and has not have those feelings, but everybody is different.

What you refer as "feeling like I swallowed something and it's stuck" remains me of a relative that long ago suffered an esophagus hernia, did your dr. explain what could it be??

Jesus

Old 02-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User

We didn't talk much about the feeling in my throat. I did mention it along with the tightness in my chest and the high bloodpressure. He seemed more concerned with the blood pressure. He's not the type that does a lot of talking...he's very quick. He had me fast and come back the next day for some bloodwork. Haven't heard back on the blood work yet. I think is was probably to check my HDL, LDL and Tri.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Before I had my triple bypass my angina symptoms were a burning sensation in the lower part of my throat.
I never had any pain as such just a burning sensation.

Kaycee41, you say your pain sometimes lasts several days?
Angina pain usually goes away when you rest.

I would certainly have this looked at more closely, it may only be reflux but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Closed Thread