Hospital retaliating bcs they didn't get bypass surgery
Our family has been experiencing the most bizarre behavior from a major medical center in the city of Philadelphia.
During one of the worst snow storms, my elder father attempted to clear the sidewalk of snow before it became too heavy/deep. One of my neighbors saw him come out with the shovel and told him not to worry - he would clear the sidewalk. However, when my father climbed back up to the porch, he collapsed from a heart attack. During this attack, he stopped breathing, but starting breathing on his own after receiving CPR. He aspirated into his lungs, etc. This happened on 1/26.
He was initially rushed to one hospital, where they tried to stabilize him. But he was severe enough that he had to be transferred to the second hospital. He was sedated and in a medical coma and intubated for 8 days. Eventually he was removed from sedation and started to come around.
At this time, we were advised that our father's heart attack was severe and that he absolutely had to have bypass surgery.... as quickly as possible. They stressed the need to perform this surgery IMMEDIATELY. Part of the discussions we had were concern that the stress of coming out of sedation and discovering he was in a hospital would be enough to induce another heart attack.
They were talking to my mother about performing the surgery two days after they stopped the sedation medication. We were so convinced of the drastic nature of this surgery that we asked if they could simply keep him sedated, perform the surgery, and then wake him up. This was not permitted - but you can imagine how strenuous the concern was over my father's fragile health condition without this surgery.
And here's when it starts to get weird. We are being told that he MUST have surgery, as soon as possible. But then they wait 3 or 4 days before taking the tests to prepare for the surgery. We kept wondering why it was taking so long, especially after the original discussions of health concerns.
We know that they want to perform bypass surgery, but they cannot tell us exactly what they want to do. We don't know if they want to replace 1, 2, 3... we don't know!
They stressed to my father that he was absolutely not to strain himself - and he was on heart monitors to track his health full time. (He was in the ICU for 12 days, but was eventually transferred to the cardiac department).
After being in the hospital 2 weeks, we started our search for a 2nd opinion on the surgery, just to ensure we get the best health care available. Each time this was brought up, we got the two pronged answer. In the first breath, we are told that this is the right thing to do. The very next breath was the pressure sales tactic. We were told that any delay may risk his life. We were told that they do this surgery all the time, so it wasn't that big of a deal. etc. It was always a conflicted response... it was PLAIN to everyone there that the 2nd opinion was something they truly didn't support, and we were still getting pressured to agree to have them perform the surgery.
But they still have not answered even the simplest question: how many bypasses will be performed? As of this posting - that question has NOT been answered.
A short while ago, my mother got another surgical team to agree to review my father's charts and see if he was a candidate for robotic surgery. This surgery was far superior to what the current hospital is providing. It doesn't require cracking open his rib cage, or stopping his heart. The recovery time is measured in days not weeks. We strongly feel that if he qualifies, this is a far superior surgery for his health and overall well being.
And that was when the problems started. The robotic surgical team is out of the country THIS week, and have agreed that once they return and do a final inspection, they would perform the surgery the 1st week of March. When my mother informed the current hospital - it was LITERALLY the next day that they told my father he was well enough to be discharged.
We can tell he his not. My father has been told by every nurse in his care not to strain when on the toilet. His heart won't take it. He's classified an extreme fall risk. He is not allowed to walk/move without a nurse in the room.
But ONE DAY after learning that this current hospital does not have permission to perform the bypass surgery, they are threatening to discharge him. My mother asked if she'll be given a monitor to track his heart - no. Will he be given any care? - no.
This appears plainly retaliatory. How can a man who was deemed so fragile and frail that he couldn't go to the bathroom without fear of having another heart attack be suddenly CURED when the hospital learns they are not performing the surgery?
We are in a soft spot. The robotic surgical team is in the Orient this week, and we are in a bad spot. I have to ask - and beg - if anyone can give us advice, please help!
What are patient rights?
Why was the diagnose flipped 180 degrees once they learned they were not the chosen surgical hospital?
Are they allowed to dismiss a man so fragile that he's still labeled an extreme fall risk?
Can a man scheduled for a bypass surgery be sent home days before the surgery?
Who advocates to ensure my father isn't being sent home at the risk of his death?
And how can a hospital insist on a bypass surgery but fail to give a bypass count weeks after the recommendation? We STILL don't know if Hospital A wants to do a 2/3/4 bypass. We have NONE of that information. They've been keeping that information up their sleeve, and have used subterfuge, excuses, and "I can't tell you that, but Dr. So-and-so can..." to the point of clearly avoiding the question.
If he is so sick that he MUST be transferred to the new hospital by ambulance, how can he be dismissed from the hospital?
Who can help us?