It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

bellagal HB User
afraid for my future- heart problems

hi every one,
iv recently been sent to hospital by my dr to get a heart check as he thought i was having a heart attack.
i was told what i had was a very big wake up call and the cardiologist said after all my tests were done that my arteries are blocked because i have been a life time smoker of 60 cigs a day and my heart is in very poor condition, and its double my age - im 40. i was told i couldnt get any treatment iv started by stopping smoking right away,now im told there is nothing they can do only give me something to relieve my symptoms of chest tightness and neck pain, i also have constant exhaustion !
i havent been told if there is a name for what i have or what my future holds, i have an app for the cardiologist in 6 weeks and i feel very anxious now and very afraid. i never new the signs for heart problems and iv had the symptoms for at least 6 months and thought they were symptoms from my fibro.
i feel very alone and very scared as i get the pain when i do anything simple like waking upstairs so iv got them a lot and dont even know what im supposed to do when they come so i just have to sit and rest untill they pass.
can anyone give my any information on what i can do or should be doing/ not doing, what should i be asking the cardi dr when i go to my app.
i was told more info from the dr but when he told me i had a bad heart and blocked arteries i felt i would pass out and my mind went blank.i feel very confused and so scared for my future.i am seeing my own dr on monday
i need help please, many thanks and i wish you all better.
bella gal x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: afraid for my future- heart problems

Did you have an angiogram? if so, what were the results?
Do you have Nitrates for the angina?

Last edited by Vyking; 02-25-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I don't understand your Dr. saying there is nothing they can do. My husband just went thru this in Nov. and they did angioplasty to clear the blocked artery and put in 2 stents. When you go to your own Dr. I would ask a LOT of questions as yes, there are things that can be done.

Like Vyking asked, do you have Nitro for the pain? Great on giving up the ciggs. but I still feel more can be done medical wise. Something isn't making sense to me.

Sincere wishes and do ask many questions monday...JJ....

Old 02-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User

This makes NO sense at all.....If this is true, go to the cardio Dr's office Monday morning and sit there until he sees you...Wait 6 weeks....something doesnt sound 100% here. I had a pain, cardio saw me next day, did stress test next day, sent me for anio same day, received stent same day....

What hospital did they send to ??? What "tests" did they do ??

Old 02-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

bellagal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyking View Post
Did you have an angiogram? if so, what were the results?
Do you have Nitrates for the angina?
i will be getting something to relieve the symptoms from my dr on monday but i dont know what i will be given.
right now i dont have anything,
thanks for answering my post
bellagal

Old 02-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
(female)

bellagal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I don't understand your Dr. saying there is nothing they can do. My husband just went thru this in Nov. and they did angioplasty to clear the blocked artery and put in 2 stents. When you go to your own Dr. I would ask a LOT of questions as yes, there are things that can be done.

Like Vyking asked, do you have Nitro for the pain? Great on giving up the ciggs. but I still feel more can be done medical wise. Something isn't making sense to me.

Sincere wishes and do ask many questions monday...JJ....
hi i dont understand a lot of what the teats were for when i was in the hospital i feel very confused. i was given a test were they attach wires to your chest legs and top of back, had blood taken had a scan of my tummy then my heart, i also had my urine tested then they attached the wires again only this time for about an hr, i also was taken to another hospital for a scan -- the big machine you lay in for about half an hr and its very noisey i think its an mri not sure.
as i have never had anything like this before i dont know what the tests are called. now after your reply reg your hubby i think if other people can get help then i hope i can to.
i dont have my app yet for the cardiologist im just going by the dr saying it will take about 6 weeks before i get one. my mind was a blank while i was in there.i feel 6 weeks is a long time to worry.
i have lots of questions to ask when i go to my dr on monday and i hope he can give me the answers, also i hope he has had the report from the hospital by then too.

thanks for your kind words , i do hope your hubby is doing good now and i wish you both the best of health,
bellagal

Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
(female)

bellagal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
This makes NO sense at all.....If this is true, go to the cardio Dr's office Monday morning and sit there until he sees you...Wait 6 weeks....something doesnt sound 100% here. I had a pain, cardio saw me next day, did stress test next day, sent me for anio same day, received stent same day....

What hospital did they send to ??? What "tests" did they do ??
thanks for your reply,
i dont know were the cardio s office is yet and i dont know anything about heart problems except what i was told when i was in the hospital.
i also i dont understand all your questions reg if this is true!!! i feel if you think im making this up , i have to say im really not that kind of person !!! i dont know if it sound right or not thats why im asking for advice as im very afraid and its all very new to me.
i do know what a stress test is at least i think i do - as last year i was sent to go on a running machine while attached to lots of wires but i had to stop due to my breathing problems. im now being told iv to go for this again only instead of going on a running machine iv to sit on a bike. the hospital didnt have this type of test available this is why iv to go to another hospital to have it done.
i dont know what an anio or a stent is as i dont know the names of all the tests that are done. i have listed above what iv had so far.

i hope you are now well and i wish you the best
bellagal

Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
(female)

bellagal HB User

hi i forgot to say , i live in the uk and not all tests and treatment is given right away no matter what illness you have. very sad but true, there are waiting lists for all drs some take longer than others , i hope i can be seen before 6 weeks like i was told.
thanks again for your reply.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagal View Post
i dont know what an anio or a stent is as i dont know the names of all the tests that are done.
It seems like you haven't had an Angiogram done.
The Doctor has no right telling you nothing can be done .. because he doesn't know if you haven't had an Angiogram yet.

An Angiogram is the only 100% way of knowing if you have blockages or narrowings in your coronary arteries.
Any narrowings or blockages you may have should be able to be fixed depending on the severity and location with either a stent or bypass surgery.

I had a triple bypass in Oct 2009 and feel great.
My son in laws grandfather had a bypass done 27 years ago and he is still going strong.

Please don't worry, I'm sure there is something they can do to help you.

Good luck.

Last edited by Vyking; 02-26-2011 at 10:09 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vyking For This Useful Post:
bellagal (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagal View Post
hi i dont understand a lot of what the teats were for when i was in the hospital i feel very confused. i was given a test were they attach wires to your chest legs and top of back, had blood taken had a scan of my tummy then my heart, i also had my urine tested then they attached the wires again only this time for about an hr, i also was taken to another hospital for a scan -- the big machine you lay in for about half an hr and its very noisey i think its an mri not sure.
as i have never had anything like this before i dont know what the tests are called. now after your reply reg your hubby i think if other people can get help then i hope i can to.
i dont have my app yet for the cardiologist im just going by the dr saying it will take about 6 weeks before i get one. my mind was a blank while i was in there.i feel 6 weeks is a long time to worry.
i have lots of questions to ask when i go to my dr on monday and i hope he can give me the answers, also i hope he has had the report from the hospital by then too.

thanks for your kind words , i do hope your hubby is doing good now and i wish you both the best of health,
bellagal
It sounds like you had an EKG if wires were hooked up to you, that usually takes about 5 minutes and you get a read out from the machine. The scan of your heart was probably an Echo cardiogram, and yes, the noisey one was probably and MRI. Of course I'm not sure, but that is what it sounds like.

Hubby was also hooked up to a heart monitor, BP monitor and an IV of Hepron (sp.?) within 10 minutes of being at the hospital. I swear he had so many monitors and IV things hooked up to him he looked like a robot...

Yes 6 weeks is a VERY long time to wait but maybe you can get at least some answers from your own Dr. as he/she should get a report from the hospital. Hubby goes to the VA here and they get reports within an hr. or two.

I'm sure your mind went blank, I sure know mine would with all the tests plus being in pain and unsure of what was going on. Hopefully you can get some answers tomorrow, and please post if you do to keep us updated.

Thanks about hubby and yes, he is doing much better....JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
bellagal (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
(female)

bellagal HB User

hi there, thanks for all you have shared with me . i have looked up what an angiogram is and im sure i havent had one, they sound a little scary to !
after all youv shared with me im starting to feel a little more relaxed now and i hope my dr can put my mind at ease some more tomorrow.

its great your son in laws gf has done so well and i hope your not having any problems and are keeping well now.
take care, thanks for your support.
bellagal

Old 02-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
(female)

bellagal HB User

hi jj,
im now starting to come down from panic mode, and its only because of the things you and vyking have said to put my mind at ease.
there is so much to take in and when i went to hosp all the tests and wires are a bit scary.
i understand when you say your husband was like a robot !
its good to hear how good your husband is doing and i think its very good that he can get results from his tests in an hr or two, ill pray he continues to improve and i thank you for sharing with me.
i will post when i have spoken to my dr, im feeling so much more positive about my future now and i hope he can get me seen quickly.
take care and thanks for your support,
bellagal.
i love your quote is very uplifting.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey gal, glad we were able to help. As you can see I have been a member here since 2000 and had a bunch of GREAT folks help me, especially during my wicked side effects from Statin drugs. I still feel blessed to this day for all of them and their help as they saw me through a tough time, as the Statins wrecked my system and I was miserable with no idea as to why. Needless to say I will never touch another one and learned how to keep numbers down without them.

Oh yes, he sure did look like a robot to say the least but those Drs. work quick and don't fool around, so we feel blessed to have them, as they have pulled him through many things, including cancer. He is cancer free now and I feel if they didn't put him through tons of tests and procedures, he may not be.

Seeing what he went through and others that is why I guess many of us feel don't take NO for an answer. Sometimes Drs. pass things off too lightly so we as the patients need to push their buttons at times to get results.

Hopefully you will get more answers tomorrow...so please do post back and let us know how it is going. Glad your feeling so much more positive as well.

Take good care, stay positive and I'm sure things will go just fine. As far as my quote, I "borrowed" it from one of the former gents that was one of those helpful folks to me.

Best of wishes, and will look forward to seeing updates.....JJ....

Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
(female)

bellagal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Hey gal, glad we were able to help. As you can see I have been a member here since 2000 and had a bunch of GREAT folks help me, especially during my wicked side effects from Statin drugs. I still feel blessed to this day for all of them and their help as they saw me through a tough time, as the Statins wrecked my system and I was miserable with no idea as to why. Needless to say I will never touch another one and learned how to keep numbers down without them.

Oh yes, he sure did look like a robot to say the least but those Drs. work quick and don't fool around, so we feel blessed to have them, as they have pulled him through many things, including cancer. He is cancer free now and I feel if they didn't put him through tons of tests and procedures, he may not be.

Seeing what he went through and others that is why I guess many of us feel don't take NO for an answer. Sometimes Drs. pass things off too lightly so we as the patients need to push their buttons at times to get results.

Hopefully you will get more answers tomorrow...so please do post back and let us know how it is going. Glad your feeling so much more positive as well.

Take good care, stay positive and I'm sure things will go just fine. As far as my quote, I "borrowed" it from one of the former gents that was one of those helpful folks to me.

Best of wishes, and will look forward to seeing updates.....JJ....
hi all,
thanks for all your support, i spoke to my own dr she said i have a blockage but i dont really understand this ? iv been given asperine to take every day and a spray for under my tongue to take when i get the pain in my neck and chest. i was very surprised that the spray did help i think deep down i was thinking it was all a mistake and i wouldnt need the spray.
i have used it a few times now and im starting to know when the right time is to take it. im still frightened but my dr has told me not to worry things arent as bleak as they may seem and also she will try and get me up to see the cardiologist in the next 2 weeks so this is better news.
im going this week to have another test but i dont know what it is yet , i will post again when iv been to hospital.
its been helpful having someone to share with. thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to bellagal:
JJ (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks sooo much for the update. We like to hear how folks have made out and I'm glad your getting the attention you need and deserve.

The spray might be like a Nitro thing, you know how advanced they are these days. Sounds like your spirits are up as well which is a good thing.

It is amazing how just coming to a board like this can help. Lord knows when I came in 2000 and was beside myself from side effects from Statin drugs the gang here really helped me ever so much. I guess that is why if I see someone post who I feel is really upset and needs help I try to give a suggestion or advice, as I sure did appreciate all I got.....

Thanks again for being so kind to update us, as WE do care.

Stay well, and all the best of wishes....JJ....

Closed Thread