It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
(male)

GringoBob HB User
BP dynamics change ?

good morning from Costa Rica -

I am 71yo, 30lb overweight, non-smoker and 2 a day drinker

for most of my adult life, my systolic pressure has be elevated ie 200/70-80

I have been taking Cozaar 25mg for the past 10 years and keeping it stable

now, as of a few months, my systolic has lowered and diastolic has risen so my reads are typically 150-160/110-120 ?

we have tried beta blockers to no avail so wish to see what the rest of the heart world thinks ?

Thank you very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: BP dynamics change ?

You may need 3 or 4 different types of meds to keep it under control, I'm surprised your doctor hasn't tried this yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
(male)

GringoBob HB User

or we may need 5 or 6 different types Vyking ? I was hoping someone with similar experience would respond as we already understand the generality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyking View Post
You may need 3 or 4 different types of meds to keep it under control, I'm surprised your doctor hasn't tried this yet.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

GringoBob,

I have no experience on that, but I can tell you that the difference between Systolic and Diastolic it is called "Pulse Pressure". So technically you are suffering a low "pulse Pressure" if you Gloogle it, you can find a number of cardiac conditions that may cause it.
Do you have any other symptom or problem?

Anyway I think that a visit to a cardiologist could be appropriated.

Jesus

Old 03-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
(male)

GringoBob HB User

thank you Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrueda View Post
GringoBob,

I have no experience on that, but I can tell you that the difference between Systolic and Diastolic it is called "Pulse Pressure". So technically you are suffering a low "pulse Pressure" if you Gloogle it, you can find a number of cardiac conditions that may cause it.
Do you have any other symptom or problem?

Anyway I think that a visit to a cardiologist could be appropriated.

Jesus

Old 03-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoBob View Post
or we may need 5 or 6 different types Vyking ? I was hoping someone with similar experience would respond as we already understand the generality
What do you want?
Do you want someone to make a diagnosis for you?

I was only suggesting that you may need more than one med.
If you want a diagnosis I'm no doctor but maybe you have renal artery stenosis - google it.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoBob View Post
I am 71yo, 30lb overweight, non-smoker and 2 a day drinker
We are about the same age.

Have you had your blood sugar tested?

Quote:
for most of my adult life, my systolic pressure has be elevated ie 200/70-80
My current year's blood pressure average (2011), based on 357 readings is 125/73.

How many readings, over what period of time, is the 200/70-80 based on? Blood Pressure varies by hour and by day.

Quote:
I have been taking Cozaar 25mg for the past 10 years and keeping it stable
How stable? How many readings over what period of time proved to you that your blood pressure was stable?

Quote:
now, as of a few months, my systolic has lowered and diastolic has risen so my reads are typically 150-160/110-120 ?
One major cause of high blood pressure is Insulin problems, such as Diabetes or Insulin Resistance. The chances for having Insulin problems increases as we age.

Even if you cannot find a link between blood sugar problems and your high blood pressure, you can't lose by giving your self the healthiest diet possible. A healthy diet will improve the metabolism and thusly also enable the beta blockers, and other medications, a better chance to do their job of lowering the blood pressure.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-05-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
(male)

GringoBob HB User

high systolic readings are for over a 40 year experience - high diasystolic is relatively new and I take same time daily readings so we will see where that goes ? - blood sugar checked and OK no link visable

good feedback Machaon, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
We are about the same age.

Have you had your blood sugar tested?

My current year's blood pressure average (2011), based on 357 readings is 125/73.

How many readings, over what period of time, is the 200/70-80 based on? Blood Pressure varies by hour and by day.

How stable? How many readings over what period of time proved to you that your blood pressure was stable?

One major cause of high blood pressure is Insulin problems, such as Diabetes or Insulin Resistance. The chances for having Insulin problems increases as we age.

Even if you cannot find a link between blood sugar problems and your high blood pressure, you can't lose by giving your self the healthiest diet possible. A healthy diet will improve the metabolism and thusly also enable the beta blockers, and other medications, a better chance to do their job of lowering the blood pressure.

Closed Thread