It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
(male)

Liftingfood HB User
I think I almost had a heart attack? 18 yrs old

Hey guys, I'm extremely concerned right now.

At 4:30 in the morning, I seemed to have woken up. I had this horrific headache, and had to urinate. So I took care of my business, and went back to bed.

Whilst I was laying down, I noticed that I was VERY cold. And it felt like someone had put a weight in my NECK, so it was kinda hard to breathe. It felt like my air pipes in my neck were getting closed or something. When I took a deep breath, pressure would accumulate around my chest up to my neck.

In addition to my headache, I had this horrible ache all over my left jaw joint, down the whole jaw bone, down to my neck, to my shoulders, all the way down my right arm to my hand..The pain really did hurt.

So, I was awake tell 6 AM, trying to figure out whats wrong in my bed. So I got up, put socks on, took an advil, and went to another room. I was still freezing cold, and the pain still persisted. After an hour and a half, it seemed that Advil did do it's work. I noticed the pain started to descend away from my neck, making breathing easier.

My headache was completely gone at 7:30 AM.

However, it's 2:40 PM, and it feels like my neck is sore, and when i take a big breath, pressure surrounds my heart, and chest. I can't tell if I'm breathing normally or if I'm not...maybe I'm still suffering from shortness in breath.

However, I'm very athletic. I had a easy workout yesterday, I just did benchpress and some curls....Neither were soo strenuous to my body at all. I don't smoke or do any drugs..Im still in highschool, and Now i'm getting VERY concerned. The only thing I did different yesterday was that I changed my diet up a bit, and ate more food than I normally do.

Was I about to have a heart attack? What should I do now? Should I get a physical?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: I think I almost had a heart attack? 18 yrs old

Hi I would not do bench presses anymore. I would also head to the emergency room right away in case in the process of a bench press a heart valve was damaged.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
(male)

Liftingfood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi I would not do bench presses anymore. I would also head to the emergency room right away in case in the process of a bench press a heart valve was damaged.
So are you using I should go to the ER?

But, I've been benching for a year...This is odd.

Also, i'm noticing, another head ache is developing, seems like it's starting from the ear....please, more input would be more appreciated.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hey Liftingfood......did you see the news reports on the high school senior who collapsed after throwing the winning shot in his school's basketball game? He died. He had an enlarged heart and no one knew. He'd never had a chest x-ray.

Anything that gives you pressure around your heart should be checked out ASAP. could be something wrong or it could be warning sign of something going wrong but the time to check it out is while it's happening. You go in to your doc when you feel fine and they can't find anything....has to be checked out when it happens!

SJB is right....go to the ER or call your family doc or DO SOMETHING!

You don't mess around with hearts.

Jenny

Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi ok so sometimes a person may get away with it or think he does until one day the breathing technique was wrong or he loses balance and the internal pressures of the body are wrong for that tiny valve. I have not changed my opinion about the ER. An eye ear nose and throat doctor could be seen for the ear. And possibly now an MRI to be sure there is no aneurysm from a blown vessel with the weight and pressure of the bench press.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
(male)

Liftingfood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi ok so sometimes a person may get away with it or think he does until one day the breathing technique was wrong or he loses balance and the internal pressures of the body are wrong for that tiny valve. I have not changed my opinion about the ER. An eye ear nose and throat doctor could be seen for the ear. And possibly now an MRI to be sure there is no aneurysm from a blown vessel with the weight and pressure of the bench press.
I honestly don't think my bench press had anything to do with this. I follow a simple routine, and it's never hurt my body. So yeah, I doubt this.

Ok, so I just took a 1:45 min nap. Opened my eyes in bed, and I felt great. But the second I got up, i can once again feel the pressure in my neck, and it seems to be a litter lighter around the chest. There is pressure in my head, just a bit.

I checked my temperature and I seem to be fine. Not sick at all.

However, I took a Tylenol cause the pressure is still not gone.

Hmm..Allright Jenny, I'll see...but I still want to know what others say...please more input people :S

Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi ok tylenol is not good for the liver and since it is dry and something to be absorbed and pushed along in the bloodstream I don't exactly view it as good for the heart either.

We cannot do an EKG for a person on this forum since we were not given that power. Perhaps someone besides ourselves could do a better job.

Of course everyone's choices are their own.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Ok, you said you upt your diet and ate more food..exactly what do you mean? Did you eat something totally out of the ordinary that could have given you sever indigestion?

First off, if you even suspect your having any heart problem you take a FULL 325 mg. aspirin...NOT Tylenol. I'm not trying to scare you but just before Thanksgiving my husband was getting slight chest pressure and out of breath easily, chilly and very slight jaw pain. This went on for almost a week but he blamed it on having a cold. I finally told him on a sunday morning to get dressed as I was taking him to the ER. Before we left he took a full aspirin as well.

When I got him there they did all sorts of tests..EKG..blood work...chest X-ray etc. Everything seemed normal but they wanted to keep him overnight for observation and do a stress test monday morning. During the night his Troponin levels went up indicating he had a problem, so they skipped the stress test and did an Angioplasty and found he had a blocked artery. Dr. told me if I hadn't insisted on taking him down there when I did, within a week he would have had a full blown heart attack. So please, do NOT ignore your signs even though your young, heart disease doesn't care about age.

You may be perfectly fine, but please, get checked out to be sure.

Wishing you well...JJ....

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
sjb (03-09-2011)
Closed Thread