It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
My husband just announced for the past month he's had chest tightness in center

of his chest closer to his left breast......no other symptoms, not a severe sharp pain, but he says it's hard to describe.......no fatigue, no dizziness...if this was a heart attack, after a month something would have happened right? i'm trying to get him to go to the ER so he can the full work up but he's decided to WAIT until this coming Monday for a primary dr's appt.
what could this be from? he's a fit 40 year old, non-smoker...there has been alot going on over the past month-i went thru a depression episode out of the blue and am now recovering thanks to lexapro and some sleep but i'm very anxious and worried over THIS now......thoughts? input?
thanks.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Re: My husband just announced for the past month he's had chest tightness in center

one more note......it's not a sharp pain...more of a discomfort-slight pressure but not like the typical grasp your chest hold it and gasp......very worried for him....but been going on since I've had my own mental health issues and hasn't stopped him playing basketball on weekends (which i guess means he's more than likely ok)......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: My husband just announced for the past month he's had chest tightness in center

Hi well I would tell him some other people think in their opinion he aught to go to the emergency room too because if it is his heart once he is completely gone he can't be brought back. Sometimes some lifesaving measures can be done now to prevent a permanent goodbye. Let us know how it goes if desired. I would learn CPR huh? I just discovered there are free on-line classes I don't know if that really gives proper practice on a manekin like the other type of class but at least it might be better than nothing.

Last edited by sjb; 03-10-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: addition

Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I would try to convince him to have it checked ASAP. Just before Thanksgiving my husband was getting very slight chest pains, a bit of short breath but figured it was a cold, as we both had been fighting one for a week or so. I had him rest all day saturday but sunday morning he said he didn't feel much better..he also had some indigestion.

I decided NOT to wait and took him to the VA ER sunday morning. His EKG..blood work..chest X-ray etc. were fine but they wanted to keep him over night for observation and do a stress test monday morning. During the night his Troponin levels went up, indicating a problem. They skipped the stress test and did an Angioplasty and did find he has a blocked artery.

Dr. told me had we waited another week he may have had a full blown heart attack...so please...don't wait!

Good luck and best wishes...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
sjb (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
(male)

kaydgee HB User

I would STRONGLY urge him to check it out.

I'm a 49 year old, 50 lb. overweight sedentary man who never had any history of health problems. Over 9 days, I had 4-5 episodes of a hard to describe feeling in my chest. The closest I can come is to say it felt like I had swallowed something too large, accompanied by a slight discomfort. No pain, no shortness of breath, no sweating, no dizziness. The feeling would last from a few minutes to about an hour. The last time I got it, it didn't go away.

I drove myself to my primary physician's office. He attached an EKG, told me I had an ST elevation, and immediately called 911 to have me transported to the ER (about a 200' trip from the entrance to his office building which is on the campus of the hospital).

Upon entry to the ER, by which time the discomfort in my chest had disappeared, I was again hooked up to an EKG, was told by the attending physician that I was going straight to the catheterization lab because I was having a heart attack and was immediately whisked off to have a 99.9% blockage of the LAD discovered. The blockage was cleared and an eluting stent was put in. Three days later (yesterday) a second stent was put in the Circumflex where I had a 90% blockage.

I was discharged this morning with an EF of 50%, a prescription for Effient, Crestor and baby aspirin, feeling quite well (although I felt fine before, also) and a commitment to exercise and eat better.

In short, I would urge you to have him check it out immediately.

Closed Thread