It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
(female)

aes368 HB User
Random Increased Heart Rate and Strength

I am 22 years of age. Over the past six monbths or so, I have had a periodic increase of heart rate and stregngth of beat for no apparent reason. It happens at varying times and in different circumstances, none of which seem to conicide with each other. I normally run 70, and all of the sudden it'll go up to the 130's and be pounding throughout my whole body, I can feel it in my eyes, fingertips, toes, stomach, it goes everywhere.

Once it races it stays high for 3-10 minutes, and nothing I do slows it down or calms it. I have had anxiety in the past, but I don't feel anxious, and it is not during anxiety situations. I have had EKG's, but never while it was racing. During the past two summers I have had low blood pressure issues, but I, and my doctor, seemed to think it was due to the warm weather and dehydration maybe? I am getting more concerened as the racing is happening more and more often and would appreciate any advice or answers.

Thanks So Much!
Mandi

Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Random Increased Heart Rate and Strength

The condition could be related to hyperthyroidism or the parasympathetic nervious system (adrenal dysfunction).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
(female)

cmh 05 HB User
Re: Random Increased Heart Rate and Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by aes368 View Post
I am 22 years of age. Over the past six monbths or so, I have had a periodic increase of heart rate and stregngth of beat for no apparent reason. It happens at varying times and in different circumstances, none of which seem to conicide with each other. I normally run 70, and all of the sudden it'll go up to the 130's and be pounding throughout my whole body, I can feel it in my eyes, fingertips, toes, stomach, it goes everywhere.

Once it races it stays high for 3-10 minutes, and nothing I do slows it down or calms it. I have had anxiety in the past, but I don't feel anxious, and it is not during anxiety situations. I have had EKG's, but never while it was racing. During the past two summers I have had low blood pressure issues, but I, and my doctor, seemed to think it was due to the warm weather and dehydration maybe? I am getting more concerened as the racing is happening more and more often and would appreciate any advice or answers.

Thanks So Much!
Mandi
Hey Mandi,

I am 23 years old, I have episodes like this too...like right now, I'm sitting in my chair and typing this and my heart is going about 145 bpm. I just had a cigarette though, I'm quitting after this pack and never going back. Nasty, nasty, nasty habit. Anyways, when I have a bad attack, I can't even count my beats...I usually go in to the ER and they hook me to up a monitor and my heart rate is anywhere from 180-205 beats per minute. When they happen I am usually trying to sleep but can't because of my heart racing so fast and hard. I can feel it in my chest and all over as well. The first time I went in, my blood pressure was 166/90-something and my heart rate was 204 beats per minutes. I felt like I was going to die.

I was diagnosed in February with having Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia or PSVT which is most likely caused from extra electrical circuits tell my heart to pump faster and harder which usually makes me feel dizzy, weak, flushed, my chest to hurt and nauseated. Since has only happened recently. My cardiologist doesn't want me to get an ablation which can cure my PSVT because it happens so far and in between that he feels that it will go away on its own. I must come back however, if the attacks become more frequent. He prescribed me with propranolol which is a beta blocker that I usually take while I'm having an attack. I've had a few since the initial attack took place and the propranolol has been a hit and miss sort of thing. It works sometimes and sometimes it won't work at all. In the cases where it won't work, I usually try go to sleep and ignore my racing heart and in the morning I'm fine.

Here are some techniques I use that usually help me when I'm having an attack:

1) Bear down like you have to go poop, or better yet, try and have a BM. The pressure on the vagus nerve will be enough to make you feel somewhat better and slow a racing heart down. This is a hit or miss.

2) Splash cold water on your face or take a big bowl and fill it up with cold water and ice cubes and dip your face in it. This is the diving technique. I usually do this if the vagus maneuver hasn't worked. If this doesn't work, then I strip down and turn the shower on with the knob on cold and hop in and stand in there as long as I can then turn the shower off and stand there and shiver. That usually does the trick for me for a stubbornly fast rhythm.

3) Bend over with one of your knees on a stool and cough violently. That sometimes helps get my heart going normally again.

4) Take a walk. Sometimes (even if it's late at night) going for a brisk walk in the cool night air will calm my heart down enough to let me go to sleep it also helps relax you if you are anxious about something or feel like your going to die. If your worried have someone watch you.

5) If these techniques don't work go into the ER.

I'm trying to stay away from relying on my propranolol that much, it makes me feel so hungry and crappy afterwards. I hope this helps

Closed Thread