It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Congestive Heart Failure- Dad

I am seeking any information about Congestive Heart Failure. Although I have looked over all the information I could find on the internet, it was very unspecific, and left me with more questions than answers.

My dad, who will be 85 years old next week, has just gotten out to the hospital, with this diagnosis. He has not been sick a day in his life, very active and except for a pacemaker and diabetes, which is well controlled, he is a very healthy man.

His current condition is very poor. He was admitted to clear him from swelling all over his body that had added 17 pounds to his weight in just a weeks time. He is not overweight at all. He also is coughing continuously, and although pneumonia has been ruled out at this point, I have fears of is turning into it, if the coughing cannot be stopped.

He has gone from being very active from early morning till night, to not being able to shower, or walk through the house. Absolutely no energy.

Can anyone give us any personal experiences with CHF, and what do you think his prognosis might be, considering his age?

Thank you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Congestive Heart Failure- Dad

writeleft, Hi! I hope that you are doing well, and that your father is doing better!

I posted a thread, about Heart Failure, entitled:

What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=742271

I can relate to your father's difficult time because I have battled against Heart Failure and other Heart Disease and other health problems for about 25 years. It has been a difficult journey back to better health.

I hope that his medical professionals can get him back to his old self and enjoying life again!

Take care......

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, although I was unable to open the link you sent. It could be me...

I do appreciate your kindness, expressed by your effort in sending me the information.

janet

Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, although I was unable to open the link you sent. It could be me...

janet
It could never be you. It's these damned machines which aren't really, truly designed to be used by us actual human beings!

You need to highlight the link address and then copy it and then paste it into your browser address window near the top of your screen.

Right now your browser window should contain an address that starts with www.healthboards.com/boards/

Quote:
Can anyone give us any personal experiences with CHF, and what do you think his prognosis might be, considering his age?
Needless to say, at 85 with CHF, and with worsening symptoms, it does seem worrisome, doesn't it?

What I've done to improve my chances for survival over the past 25 years, is eat small, low calorie, frequent, high quality meals. A healthy small-meal diet is a powerful tool against CHF. But, one has to eat frequently in order to get appropriate nourishment for the day.

Why small meal? Well...... with a weak heart, I don't want to cause my weak heart any more work or stress than it can handle. Too large of a meal causes the heart to work too much.

One also has to limit the drinks, or liquids. The more one drinks, the more work it places on the heart. When the heart is allowed to rest and relax, it improves the chances for survival, IMHO.

However, there is still a lot more that has to be done to survive CHF (Heart Failure), which I have covered in fairly good detail in my thread.

Take care, and best of luck and health to you and your family and especially your father.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-21-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

All I needed was a little hand holding to get the link...I got it, and thank you.

My dad has been a picture of health for his entire life. He is a veteran of three foreign wars, being Korea, WWII and Vietnam. He in one who follows the rules, and that has included his health. That is what I imagine has given him the 85 years of beautiful health. Although both he and my mom have slowed down over the last few years, this is really the first sign of real trouble, and I understand the big picture. I cannot imagine there is much else he can do except continue to follow the advice of his doctors, who are all well respected.

I will just do what any good daughter can do, and that is see him everyday, and love him and my mom... by doing anything I can think of to make their lives a bit easier.

Thanks Machaon, you are a wealth of information.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
... My dad ... is a veteran of three foreign wars, being Korea, WWII and Vietnam.
It's obvious from whom you have inherited your toughness and fighting spirit. My family and our country is greatly indebted to your family and to your father for the significant sacrifice and his tremendous service and courage serving in our country's military during wartime. You must be quite proud of him.

Quote:
I cannot imagine there is much else he can do except continue to follow the advice of his doctors, who are all well respected.
It is great that he has a high level of care. He certainly has earned it!

Once again...... I wish you and your family and especially your father the best of health and luck for your future!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-22-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Honestly, that felt good! I copied and pasted your beautiful words into an email, so he could hear your words directly. Thank you, I am touched.

Closed Thread