It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
rapid resting heart rate

Hi there. This isn't a board I usually frequent. I have a question though.

I'm 40, female and 20 lbs overweight. I have a history of high blood pressure since my early 30's. I was on Dyazide and Norvasc for years. About 2 years ago, I was able to go off the Norvasc. On the Dyazide alone, I've been able to maintain a BP around 110's/60's or thereabouts. I'm happy with that. What I'm concerned about is my resting heart rate. Typically it is around 100-110 resting. It has been that way for several years now.

Unfortunately, due to other health conditions (asthma, reflux triggering breathing problems, and others), I'm at the doctors quite frequently. My PCP doctor isn't concerned. Occassionally, I see other doctors at the clinic and they don't seem concerned either. They say it is within normal range. My Pulmonologist who I just see 1-2 times a year always asks why my heart is beating so fast. I tell him it is normally that way for me. He never says anything in response. I can see my pulse being higher when I'm on frequent asthma steroids, but I've been good for about 5 months now without asthma problems and my pulse is still high. I've been sitting browsing my computer tonight--nothing stressful-- for about an hour and took my BP with my pulse showing at 110. Comparison of my BP monitor at my docs show it is pretty accurate.

I'm concerned about long-term issues with my heart constantly working so hard. I feel I should be concerned, but only my Pulmonologist appears to even think anything is out of normal. Should I push to see a Cardiologist or should I just accept this as "normal"?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: rapid resting heart rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
... What I'm concerned about is my resting heart rate. Typically it is around 100-110 resting. It has been that way for several years now.

My PCP doctor isn't concerned. Occassionally, I see other doctors at the clinic and they don't seem concerned either. They say it is within normal range.
Your doctors aren't concerned because they really don't know what to do about your heart rate problems, and because it isn't their health problem, it's yours.

Quote:
I'm concerned about long-term issues with my heart constantly working so hard. I feel I should be concerned, but only my Pulmonologist appears to even think anything is out of normal. Should I push to see a Cardiologist or should I just accept this as "normal"?
You should be concerned. Your body is probably over-producing "excess" hormones (such as adrenalin) and cytokines, which are not only exciting your heart, but also could be causing problems for other organs and glands within your body. A heart that is constantly being stressed, or excited, will very slowly weaken and enlarge.

Why is your body over-producing these excess hormones? Well..... one of the most frequent causes of this is allergies/asthma.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
(male)

achmeineye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Hi there. This isn't a board I usually frequent. I have a question though.

I'm 40, female and 20 lbs overweight. I have a history of high blood pressure since my early 30's. I was on Dyazide and Norvasc for years. About 2 years ago, I was able to go off the Norvasc. On the Dyazide alone, I've been able to maintain a BP around 110's/60's or thereabouts. I'm happy with that. What I'm concerned about is my resting heart rate. Typically it is around 100-110 resting. It has been that way for several years now.

Unfortunately, due to other health conditions (asthma, reflux triggering breathing problems, and others), I'm at the doctors quite frequently. My PCP doctor isn't concerned. Occassionally, I see other doctors at the clinic and they don't seem concerned either. They say it is within normal range. My Pulmonologist who I just see 1-2 times a year always asks why my heart is beating so fast. I tell him it is normally that way for me. He never says anything in response. I can see my pulse being higher when I'm on frequent asthma steroids, but I've been good for about 5 months now without asthma problems and my pulse is still high. I've been sitting browsing my computer tonight--nothing stressful-- for about an hour and took my BP with my pulse showing at 110. Comparison of my BP monitor at my docs show it is pretty accurate.

while a rapid resting heartrate isn't exactly a good thing, it's no reason to freak out. unless you feel really dizzy or weak or like you're about to faint, the slightly elevated heart rate isn't that big of a deal. like you said, it's been that way for a few years now and with no other symptoms that go along with it, it's probably nothing.
i used to absolutely flip out because i noticed i had a sinus arrythmia (heart rate increases when breathing in and decreases when breathing out), and thought i was gonna die, but i later found out that some peoples' hearts are just like that.
you mentioned you were overweight: that could easily have something to do with it. do you drink caffeine? even a little? like soda or coffee or anything? are you dehydrated? do you smoke? do you eat a lot of sugary/salty snacks?

there are so many differentials for slight tachyardia it will make your head spin, and never, ever EVER go on ***** or anything similar. you'll type in "abdominal pain" and "itchiness" and what you'll get back for a "diagnosis" is something along the lines of INCURABLE CANCER WITH A ZERO PERCENT SURVIVAL RATE AND BLEEDING OUT OF YOUR EYE SOCKETS.

you worry too much, darlin.

if it is accompanied by other symptoms, then you should go in for further testing.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
(female)

cmh 05 HB User

Hey mountainreader,

I saw this post and had to reply to it...

I've had several trips to the ER...all in which I have to pay for >.< but all in which I was trying to sleep and my heart felt like was beating so fast and hard it was going to break through my ribcage and skin at any moment.

The highest heart rate they recorded was the first time I had this attack (December 2010) it was 204 beats per minute. My blood pressure was 166/94 --Very elevated for me. Everything on the ECG showed normal, no atrial flutter or anything, just that my heart was beating way too fast while I was laying down. They ER nurses didn't want to give me drugs and instead ordered x-rays and another ecg. I was in the ER for nearly four hours before my heart rate came down to around 100. I was ordered to see a cardiologist, even though the doctor who referred me said I probably had SVT. So I went to the cardiologist and he asked a series of questions and concluded that I was PSVT.

A sudden occurence of a tachycardic rhythm. Cause it feels like someone turns on a switch when my heart just races. I feel faint, I can hardly walk, I'm dizzy, and really short of breath. It sucks. But I was prescribed Propranolol and only take them when I have an attack. But I'm thinking about taking something for the long run because it's starting to effect my daily life now. I have a couple drinks and my heart races. It never did before.

I too, also have a high resting heart rate. Between 85-120 bpm sometimes higher depending if I feel like having a night cap of wine before going to bed which sometimes I do.

Alcohol usually slowed my heart rate, but now it has the opposite affect, I'm 23 years old, I shouldn't be doing this!

Last edited by cmh 05; 03-22-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: addressed wrong person

Closed Thread