It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #16
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: self cpr

Hi so now I would like to know if it was a half breath normal breath or 3/4 breath before the cough. And maybe 2 seconds as the site says is too long a wait and maybe one cough is not enough. There was an important point that some people might depend on the coughing instead of getting help before it is too late. Three relatives on the spouses side have died suddenly of heart attack in the past 2 years. All of them in my generation and all of them overweight at least 2 smoked and at least 2 drank.

Last edited by sjb; 03-29-2011 at 05:10 AM. Reason: deletion

Old 03-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

It doesn't matter - Coughing is not going to help!
The best help you can get is by calling emergency.

If you have a cardiac arrest outside of a hospital setting there is a very very big chance you will die.

I think you are getting confused between a cardiac arrest and a heart attack, they are 2 different things.

Coughing will not help a heart attack - a heart attack is caused by obstructed blood flow to the heart - cardiac arrest is when the heart stops beating and you stop breathing.
Coughing is for imminent cardiac arrest, ie; the Doctor can see it coming on a heart monitor.

Please forget about the coughing and call emergency, it's your best chance of staying alive.

Last edited by Vyking; 03-29-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi of course I acknowledge 911 should always be called in something like that and all the families should know CPR and first aid backward and forward, I am not denying that in the least. Help may not arrive in the 3 minutes it is needed and while waiting for help well....

What if when the doctor said take a cough and it was done it moved a small clot out of the place in a narrow spot of the blood vessel that nearly caused loss of life?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
What if when the doctor said take a cough and it was done it moved a small clot out of the place in a narrow spot of the blood vessel that nearly caused loss of life?
Cough CPR is NOT used for heart attacks it is used for imminent cardiac arrest.
Quote:
The American Heart Association does not endorse cough CPR during a heart attack.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I talked to my son who is a nurse at a hospital and is assigned to the Cardiac OR. He told me..Cough CPR is only possibly useful during a sudden arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm), as it may be possible for a conscious person to cough forcefully and maintain enough blood flow to the brain. It's only usually used at the hospital to remain conscious for a few seconds until the arrhythmia disappears or is treated.

If your at home alone and feel like you may pass out before calling for help if the cough thing is done, it may buy you enough time to make that call. Obviously if one suspects a heart attack, you should dial 911 and then sit quietly till help arrives, and pray they get there in time! Outside of these 2 cases he said it is useless.

After hubby had his little episode in Nov. the Drs. told both of us..if it ever happens again don't even drive him to the hospital in my car as I do NOT have the right equipment in case anything serious happens and to dial 911 immediately. Like they told us, at least an ambulance has the proper equipment.

Makes sense to me...JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
sjb (03-29-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
sjb (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #21
Veteran
(male)

Exactly right JJ - To try and correct an arrhythmia, it won't do squat for a heart attack.

In my case I was asked to cough to try and correct Ventricular Fibrillation - it didn't work and I very quickly went into cardiac arrest.

If anyone had Ventricular Fibrillation at home and nobody was around you would die - you cannot feel it, you don't feel like you're going to pass out or anything, you would lose consciousness, very quickly go into cardiac arrest and die.

I know - it happened to me.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Well he called me tonight as he got off work early so I figured..HEY, here is the person to ask.... Of course he gave me a few technical terms which I had no idea what he was talking about, so told him to give it to me in layman terms.

He was a great help when hubby went in Nov. as he kept asking me questions on my cell about certain tests, so rather then try and talk back and forth with him and the Dr....They talked to each other. At least I came home knowing what tests needed to be done and why.

Oh well, so much for internet browsing and too many different stories. Sorry nothing worked for you but your still with us and give us a LOT of insight. Many of us who haven't really experienced things need some input from folks like yourself...WE thank you!

Enjoy your evening...JJ...

Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #23
Veteran
(male)

No need to thank me, I was just trying to point out that the cough thing won't help a heart attack.

BTW - It's lunchtime Wednesday where I am.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well you know how false stuff goes around, so we like to try and get to the truth so if anyone else needs answers..we just might have them....

Yes, I have a friend I talk with in Aussie country and he is on lunch break. Enjoy, it is tuesday 10:33 P.M. DST here so shower time before bed.

Enjoy your lunch and the rest of your day...JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 03-29-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added info.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #25
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Vyking what symptoms caused the doctors visit?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #26
Veteran
(male)

Hi sjb,
Every so often I would get a burning sensation in my throat.

I was sent for an EKG which showed abnormalities so I was then sent for a Nuclear Stress Test which was positive, the next step was an angiogram which showed a 70% blockage in the right coronary artery and two 90% blockages in the left - I had my cardiac arrest during the angio.

I was admitted right away and had my bypass a few days later.
It's now been almost 18 months and I feel great.

Last edited by Vyking; 03-30-2011 at 12:20 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vyking For This Useful Post:
sjb (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #27
Facilitator
(female)

Hi this was a useful post for me because I did not realize a burning sensation in the throat could be a signal for a beginning heart problem. Thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
Veteran
(male)

It was a surprise to me too, no way in the world did I think a burning in the throat would be a cardiac issue.

After a while I suspected that it may be .. but I never really thought it was.

The following user gives a hug of support to Vyking:
sjb (04-14-2011)
Closed Thread