It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
self cpr

Hi has anyone here tried the self CPR of coughing on a regular basis at almost heart rate during a heart attack while waiting for the ambulance on a 911 call to see if it would help?

Has anyone tried the cayenne and the celery seed tea also for these purposes, or kept cayenne available and the celery seed tea constantly ready for this use if needed?

This is something I read about and I am wondering.

Last edited by sjb; 03-27-2011 at 07:50 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
JJ (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: self cpr

When hubby was having his discomfort in Nov. and thought "maybe" it might be heart related he coughed purposely as he had read about it too. He also took a full 325 mgs. aspirin. Of course I didn't know about this till after I took him to the ER...AARGGH. Also didn't know he had slight jaw pain either.

After I got him settled in the hospital I asked him why he didn't tell me...I got.."I didn't really think it was my heart and didn't want to worry you"!!! Had I known he had other sypmtoms he would have been there sooner. Oh well, at least the Drs. yelled at him and told him..next time she is to call 911 and if you give her any trouble, we will yell at YOU..NOT her....

LOVE those Drs.....JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
sjb (03-27-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
sjb (03-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

The coughing thing is a myth.

Coughing MAY restore normal sinus rythm if your heart has gone into abnormal rythm but it does not help during a heart attack.
A heart attack is a different situation.

I should know - When I went into vF I was asked to 'give a big cough' by the Dr - It didnt work and I went into Cardiac Arrest and was revived by the good old defibrillator.

If your at home and go into vF you wont know it until it's too late because you can't feel vF, therefore coughing won't help.

Last edited by Vyking; 03-27-2011 at 12:41 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Vyking:
sjb (03-28-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Vyking For This Useful Post:
sjb (03-28-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi has anyone here tried the self CPR of coughing on a regular basis at almost heart rate during a heart attack while waiting for the ambulance on a 911 call to see if it would help?
I've had Heart Failure, Permanent Atrial Fibrillation, Valve Disease, Bradycardia and Tachycardia over the past 25 years. I have never suffered from a heart attack but I've had my share of chest pains, pressure in my chest and heart arrhythmia over those years.

I have a constant supply of fast-acting nitro due to my heart disease, but I seldom reach for the nitro. Instead of taking the nitro, I breath slowly and deeply in and out..... in and out..... for up to 10 minutes and, believe it or not, the deep breathing usually calms down my heart and my symptoms.

When I read your post, about coughing and heart attacks, the first thing I thought about was: Perhaps there is an association between deliberate coughing and the breathing exercises that I do? Perhaps some have been helped by coughing during a heart attack? And.... perhaps some have been helped by deep breathing during a heart attack?

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-27-2011 at 02:33 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Machaon:
sjb (03-28-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
JJ (03-27-2011), sjb (03-28-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Vyking...Sorry to hear what you went through. I never did comfirm with any Dr. about the coughing, in fact I really need to ask my son, as he is a nurse in a Cardio hospital. I guess hubby did it due to what he heard and whether it helped him or not, I can't vouch for.

His problem was a blocked artery with slight chest pressure, indigestion and a tad of pain in the jaw. When I took him to the ER everything from his EKG..blood work..chest X-ray came back fine. They admitted him as they wanted to do a stress test next morning. During the night his Troponin level went up so they skipped the stress test and did an Angioplasty and put in 2 medicated stents. They said he had no damage to the heart, so it was probably a totally different situation then yours.

Best of wishes...JJ....

sjb (03-28-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Machaon..Glad to hear the breathing exercises help you. Are you on Plavix? Hubby was put on it and he seems to be developing a cough, although he also has had a cold the past 2 weeks. Someone said Plavix can do it as well?

Stay well, and thanks for a helpful post....JJ....

Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Vyking...Sorry to hear what you went through. I never did comfirm with any Dr. about the coughing, in fact I really need to ask my son, as he is a nurse in a Cardio hospital. I guess hubby did it due to what he heard and whether it helped him or not, I can't vouch for.

His problem was a blocked artery with slight chest pressure, indigestion and a tad of pain in the jaw. When I took him to the ER everything from his EKG..blood work..chest X-ray came back fine. They admitted him as they wanted to do a stress test next morning. During the night his Troponin level went up so they skipped the stress test and did an Angioplasty and put in 2 medicated stents. They said he had no damage to the heart, so it was probably a totally different situation then yours.

Best of wishes...JJ....
JJ ...... I'm fine thanks.
The Cardiac Arrest was during an angiogram proceedure - apparently when they had finished checking the valves and were withdrawing the wire it tickled the wall of the heart and sent it into an abnormal rythm.

I had blocked arteries and had a triple bypass in Oct 2009, I'm fine now
Oh .. there was no damage to the heart muscle.

You can get the truth about 'Cough CPR' from wikipedia.

Last edited by Vyking; 03-27-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear your doing good. There is a lot I still have to learn about different heart problems, so excuse me if I ask questions about certain things.

Hubby had this identical problem almost 20 years ago. We use to walk up near my house at a neighborhood track and I noticed on several occasions he would just sit it out. I was also noticing his color was too pale, as he is Italian and we know they are NOT very pale.......When he was due for his physical I booked the day off from work and went with him as I knew he would not say anything to the Dr.....can you say STUBBORN???

Naturally I mentioned it and even the Dr. said he looked pale and tired out so sent him to a Cardio guy, well within a week he was in the hospital due to a 98% blockage. I forget the name of the procedure but we called it the "roto rooter job". When he went through this last episode I saw almost the same signs but he kept saying it was a cold. I finally told him...that's it, get dressed I am taking you to the VA ER. Dr. said if he had waited another week or 2 he could have had a full blown heart attack.

Two years ago he went through a lot of Cystoscopy procedures due to Ureta cancer, so I think the poor man has just about had it with Drs. and pills etc. Oh well, he is now cancer free and doing better since the artery cleaning, hopefully he stays healthy for a LONG time.

I will look it up, and thanks for the reply. Stay well...JJ..

Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok Vyking... I did some research and also talked to hubby. The coughing thing which was explained to him by the Drs. is intended not for a heart attack, but rather, imminent cardiac arrest. In other words, if you are alone and feel like something is wrong with the heart it will Probably at least send some blood pressure to the brain so you can get some help.

No matter how you look at it, if anyone feels there is a real heart problem coming on...GET HELP ASAP!!!

Think I got it this time....JJ....

Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Gee, your husband has had a bad trot - I hope he's doing ok now.

The thing about cardiac arrest is you do not know you are going to have one, that's why the coughing won't help, because you won't know it's coming.

I was lucky - I was on the angio table and the Dr seen it coming on the monitor - I felt nothing, I felt absolutley normal, no warning signs or anything.
I didn't know anything had happened until they were asking me to open my eyes and if I felt ok. One minute I was staring at the ceiling the next thing everyone was yelling at me to open my eyes.

It's pretty frightening to know you can go in the blink of an eye.

Last edited by Vyking; 03-27-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes it has been pretty hectic here for the past 3 years between his Ureta cancer and all the Cystoscopies plus they put in stents each time and no sooner would he heal and boom, back in to get the stent out. Oh well, hopefully that is over till next years checkup.

This bout with the arteries has been pretty hectic too as now he is on more meds. and getting a bit disgusted. Our kitchen cabinets are getting full of bottles of meds., it's like a pharmacy here. Between his Diabetic meds., PN meds., high BP meds. and now heart meds. he says he eats between meds.

That must have been mighty scary to go through what you did. Like you said, one minute your awake and then next people asking you to wake up.....Oh well I guess we all need to be thankful for each day we feel ok huh? I know folks who have it way worse then me so I just try and stay positive but don't mess around if I think hubby or myself just don't feel right.

You take good care of yourself and enjoy today....JJ...

Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Machaon..Glad to hear the breathing exercises help you.
Thanks. I have found that the deep, slow breathing significantly helps. Buts...... not last night. Last night I had breathing problems and an erratic heartbeat; and the deep breathing did not seem to help at all.

OTOH, I got what I deserved! I have kinda violated my diet over the past few days, and finally paid for it last night, UGH! I frequently push my diet too much!

Today I am, once again, back to better eating behavior.

Quote:
Are you on Plavix?
I take Coumadin for my Atrial Fibrillation and Enlarged Atria.

Quote:
Hubby was put on it and he seems to be developing a cough, although he also has had a cold the past 2 weeks. Someone said Plavix can do it as well?
According to Medscape, among Plavix's many possible side effects, cough is listed as a less frequent side effect. So...... tis quite possible that hubby's cough could be coming from Plavix.

Quote:
Stay well, and thanks for a helpful post....JJ....
Thanks for the well wishes. Best wishes also for both you and your hubby!

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-28-2011 at 07:01 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Machaon:
sjb (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Opppps, better get back to your healthy eating. Yeah I looked it up last night and it is a rare side effect, so it could be contributing, but I'm also hoping when the cold is finally gone most of the coughing will too. He is not getting the sleep he really needs, and that's not too good. Oh well, I'll see how it goes for this week as he said he felt prety good this morning.

Thanks again and stay well....JJ...

sjb (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi to Vyking I wonder if the cough was too big and not a proper rhythm?

Fortunately there is still life.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi to Vyking I wonder if the cough was too big and not a proper rhythm?
He actually said a big cough, maybe it wasn't big enough.
Quote:
Fortunately there is still life.
Yep, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Vyking
JJ (03-28-2011), sjb (03-28-2011)
Closed Thread