It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
(female)

Taylor222 HB User
Question Are blue fingernails/toenails a sign of a heart problem?

Over the past few weeks my nails have been turning really blue. They're not cold at all, just blue. It lasts for hours at a time and then eventually fades back to purpleish. My friends have told me that my face also turns colorless and my lips turn white. Also when I wake up in the morning my toenails are almost always blue-- like extremely BLUE blue. What could this be caused by? Clearly something involving circulation is happening but I don't know what to do.

Oh and I was also wondering if anyone knows anything about a link between Complicated Migraines and heart problems (like a hole in the heart?). I've recently been diagnosed with having these migraine attacks (like twice a week, ugh) but they don't know what is causing it. Any info at all about the above concerns would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

-Taylor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Are blue fingernails/toenails a sign of a heart problem?

Hi yes it seems the emergency room might be a good idea in my opinion a 911 call might be good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

Taylor222 HB User

Thanks for your reply, sjb. I decided to finally voice my concerns to my mom about the whole blue nails thing and she doesn't think it's anything to worry about. She tends to brush stuff off like that... For example it wasn't until my third complicated migraine attack (with numbness and jumbled speech and everything) that she finally took me to the ER to figure out what the heck was happening. Anyway, now what do I do? Today it was really bad, my toenails are blue/grey right now and usually it's only this bad in the morning. I'm really concerned about this...

Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi what did the people at the emergency room say to do?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

If your mom seems to brush this off do you have someone else that can get you to a DR. or ER? There is.. in my opinion a problem, what it is I don't know, but it needs checking on.

BTW..It could be iron deficiency anemia.

Keep us posted please...JJ..

Last edited by JJ; 03-30-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi or Raynaud's, a lung problem or a heart valve. Of course it should be checked in case oxygen may be needed. If the doctor allows it brisk walking might improve things a bit and deep breathing.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I doubt it is Raynaud's as she said she isn't cold. Hopefully it gets checked out as it really needs some attention...JJ

Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor222 View Post
Thanks for your reply, sjb. I decided to finally voice my concerns to my mom about the whole blue nails thing and she doesn't think it's anything to worry about. She tends to brush stuff off like that... For example it wasn't until my third complicated migraine attack (with numbness and jumbled speech and everything) that she finally took me to the ER to figure out what the heck was happening. Anyway, now what do I do? Today it was really bad, my toenails are blue/grey right now and usually it's only this bad in the morning. I'm really concerned about this...
It can be a sign of low blood pressure, due- for instance- to an eating disorder.
Anorexics often have blue/purple nailbeds, which they hide with nail polish.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
sjb (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
(female)

Taylor222 HB User

Yeah we can rule out Raynaud's because my fingers definitely aren't cold. I definitely don't have an eating disorder, so that's ruled out too. I don't think I'm anemic because I just got extensive blood tests done and I assume they would have told me if the tests showed I was anemic.

I've done a bunch of researching today and I think it's safe to say that my blood oxygen levels are low. That would explain why when I was in the ER a few weeks ago they made me wear a huge oxygen mask for 5 hours. And when I asked if I could take it off the nurse looked at my monitor and said "No definitely not".

Even if my mom WAS concerned about this blue nail situation, I can't go into the ER now because I'm leaving for a trip soon. And since my nails have been like this for a few weeks and I haven't dropped dead yet, I think I'll be okay for the next 4 or 5 days... After I get back though I'll see if I can have my mom call my doctor and ask for his opinion.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh so you were in the ER and needed oxygen, that pretty much explains it. Hopefully when you get back you get it checked out and get some straight answers and maybe something can be done. Just don't let it go too long.

Wishing you all the best...JJ...

Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi ummm low oxygen levels can cause brain damage in a short time perhaps an oxygen tank aught to be obtained and used and a good cardiologist?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
I don't think I'm anemic because I just got extensive blood tests done and I assume they would have told me if the tests showed I was anemic.
Were any of your blood test results either too high or too low (out of range)?

Quote:
That would explain why when I was in the ER a few weeks ago they made me wear a huge oxygen mask for 5 hours.
What was the ER's diagnosis? What tests did they run? Did any of their tests show any problems?

Besides those awful migraines, do you have any other existing, or known health problems?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-31-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
(female)

Taylor222 HB User

To answer your questions Machaon:
-i have no other known health problems. Blood work was all normal and in range. My oxygen levels were apparently low when I was in the ER though-- but they just seemed to brush that off and they let me leave after a head CT scan and a drug cocktail to help my numb/weak hand. They diagnosed my attack as a Complicated Migraine and referred me to a neurologist, who put me on a medication that is doing NOTHING to help. I'm now getting these migraine attacks twice a week and they're awful. But that's another issue... What I'm concerned about right now is this blue nail problem. I have some new possibly related symptoms:
--This morning I woke up and ALL the veins in my arm were dark dark dark blue. Like someone had drawn on me with a dark blue marker. It was so freaky. It gradually faded away throughout the day
--Today/tonight I have been more tired than I have ever been in my whole life. I feel like I have an extra 400 pounds of weight to carry around when I move. It's terrible. I haven't done anything strenuous to make me feel like this... I don't know what's wrong with me but it is really scaring me.
--Still have the blue nails randomly throughout the day and in the morning. And now my lips are starting to look either purple-ish or white ALL the time
--I'm also having some extreme dizziness. I feel like I'm on a boat all the time, or like the room is spinning around me. It's some freaky stuff.

Sorry I've blabbed so much. I figure I should be thorough in case anyone out there has a clue about what's wrong with me. My mom unwillingly said she'd call the doctor tomorrow but she still thinks these problems are all insignificant and dismissible. Blech. I definitely dont feel normal though. Do any of you think these new symptoms are related? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Have to disagree with your mom, your issues need addressing especialy with the lips turning funny colors. It's got to be either oxygen or some circulation problem. I hope you can convince her to have you see a DR., if not, is there another family member you can turn to?

Keep us posted...PLEASE..JJ..

Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
To answer your questions Machaon:
-i have no other known health problems. Blood work was all normal and in range. My oxygen levels were apparently low when I was in the ER though-- but they just seemed to brush that off and they let me leave after a head CT scan and a drug cocktail to help my numb/weak hand. They diagnosed my attack as a Complicated Migraine and referred me to a neurologist, who put me on a medication that is doing NOTHING to help.
I realize that, not only are you suffering from these unexplained and undiagnosed, nasty and worrisome health problems but you are very frustrated that all of your efforts have not yielded any improvements.

All we can do as fellow patients is discuss things that have helped us, or that we have researched, in the hopes that you can get some helpful ideas, or, at least, not feel so alone regarding your problems.

It would certainly seem that, considering your numbness and weakness in your hand and your low oxygen levels that the hand problems were due to the lack of oxygen getting to your muscles. Could that be one of the same causes for your migranes? And..... it brings up the main question, what is causing the low oxygen???

Quote:
I'm now getting these migraine attacks twice a week and they're awful. But that's another issue... What I'm concerned about right now is this blue nail problem.
Blue nails and toenails can be another sign of low oxygen levels. Something either anatomical, internal or external is causing your low oxygen levels. But..... what?!

Quote:
I have some new possibly related symptoms:
--This morning I woke up and ALL the veins in my arm were dark dark dark blue. Like someone had drawn on me with a dark blue marker. It was so freaky. It gradually faded away throughout the day
Not too surprising or unexpected... the blue arm veins are symptomatic of low oxygen levels. But what is causing the low oxygen levels? Could it be metabolic? Could it be a NeuroHormonal or Immune System over-reaction or over sensitivity?

Many of your body's hormone levels are shut down during the night, and some are increased, like Melatonin. It's a body process called your Circadian Rhythm. The Circadian Rhythm controls the "normal" circulation schedule of 300+ hormones of your body. So.... if there is a NeuroHormonal over-reaction, could the nightly shutdown of your body's 300+ hormones make the situation worse, winding up with lower oxygen levels???

Quote:
--Today/tonight I have been more tired than I have ever been in my whole life. I feel like I have an extra 400 pounds of weight to carry around when I move. It's terrible. I haven't done anything strenuous to make me feel like this... I don't know what's wrong with me but it is really scaring me.
I don't blame you for being scared. Anyone would be!

Do you have a blood pressure gauge? Also... do you know or record your heart rate or your heart beat while you are going through these increased problems?

Quote:
--Still have the blue nails randomly throughout the day and in the morning. And now my lips are starting to look either purple-ish or white ALL the time
All these symptoms see to scream "low oxygen levels" don't they!? But why is this happening???

Quote:
--I'm also having some extreme dizziness. I feel like I'm on a boat all the time, or like the room is spinning around me. It's some freaky stuff.
Sorry you are going through all these worrisome and uncomfortable symptoms. Dizziness caused by low oxygen? Could it be hormonal? Questions and few answers.

Quote:
Sorry I've blabbed so much.
Blab all you want. Sound off, if it helps. Perhaps someone can help?

Quote:
I figure I should be thorough in case anyone out there has a clue about what's wrong with me. My mom unwillingly said she'd call the doctor tomorrow but she still thinks these problems are all insignificant and dismissible.
You are doing the right things. Your mom is dismissing your problems because she probably doesn't want to deal with them. It's all complicated and unexplainable and seemingly unsolvable. When we are faced with situations that are difficult to solve or deal with, sometimes it is easier to ignore the problems. Sadly, problems usually do not go away by themselves and frequently get worse.

Quote:
Blech. I definitely dont feel normal though. Do any of you think these new symptoms are related? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
In my case, I have some health problems that have gone undiagnosed and unexplained, and I have had to do a lot of research, trial and error in order to improve my health.

I've got both NeuroHormonal and Immune System problems. My body constantly over-reacts and over-produces some of the 300+ hormones and cytokines in my body. I have found many foods, drinks, chemicals, additives, supplements, materials, odors, furniture, plastics, rubber, cigarette smoke, gasoline, auto exhaust, pollens, pollutants, things that touch my skin, heat, etc., that make my health worse.

I have been able to greatly improve my health, and survive 25+ years of Heart Failure and unexplained nasty health problems, with a good quality of life, by avoiding the things that cause my body to over-produce hormones and cytokines.

Have you ever found things, foods, drinks, odors, things that touch your skin or make you too warm, etc., that make you feel worse?

So...... what I did was start eliminating things from my diet, and my environment, that "seemed" to make me sick. We tore up all of our wall to wall carpeting. We got rid of wooden cabinets, couch, leather furniture, some plastic drawers, smelly wood. I stopped wearing some of my clothes that made my condition worse. Some blue dyes seemed to make me worse, while other blue dyes didn't?

I went on an extremely healthy diet of low calorie, small top quality, home made meals with frequent eating, high fiber.

I don't use artificial sweeteners. I include organic foods in my diet when possible.

I do demanding physical exercise every day.

I take very effective medications, like Coreg and Quinapril, which attempt to block or inhibit my body from over-producing harmful hormones and cytokines.

I don't know if any of this could possibly be of help to you?

What do you think about the possibility that something in your diet, that you wear, that is in your home, chemicals used in your home or on your body, could be part of your health problems, and avoiding some things might help?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread