It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
(male)

ajod99 HB User
My father had a minor heart attack and had to have stent put into one of his arteries

My father who is in his late 50s never had heart condition before. Although he was told by his physician one time about 6 years ago that he had a silent heart attack. Recently, he had some chest pain for few days and when he finally went in, found out that out of 3 arteries, one was supposedly 100% blocked and has been blocked for over 6 months but not really sure when. One was 100% healthy and one was 90-95% blocked. The one that that was 90%+ blocked, they put a stint in. He was doing just fine but last night while still an outpatient, he passed out when he got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Docs said that his heart stopped for 6 seconds..not sure why. Last night his BP was low and they had to give him some medication to bring heart back up. His heart rate is now normal and has been for almost 12 hours after he was taken off the med. However, his RESP rate has been consistently between 20-30. By talking to cardiologists here at the hospital, they are thinking that they may need to put a pacemaker in. Is that the right thing to do? Please help. Again, he has never had any heart issues before and now they are saying that they need to a put a pacemaker in to help control his heartbeat. I am not in medical field and that sounds crazy to me. Please that is why i am seeking help. Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User
Re: My father had a minor heart attack and had to have stent put into one of his arte

When in doubt, get a second opinion! Wish I could have been more help, but two cardiologists are better than one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: My father had a minor heart attack and had to have stent put into one of his arte

If he is still in the hospital I am assuming he is on a heart monitor. This gives the Drs. a way to see exactly what is going on. Like your dad, my husband went to the ER in Nov. due to slight chest pains and indigestion problems and was given an Angioplasty and 2 stents for a blocked artery.

If your dad's heart rate isn't steady they just may have to put a pacemaker in to keep the sinus rhythm right, as he may have sinus arrhythmia. Just make sure you ask the Drs. a lot of questions so they can answer you so you know exactly what and why they are doing things. Never just assume anything, get answers as it helps you to know so you won't be wondering why. Hope your dad is doing better, please let us know how he makes out.

Best wishes...JJ...

Closed Thread