It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
(female)

om7peace HB User
upper ventricle enlarged

Hi, I am so glad I found a place to talk about this!

I am a 40 year old female. My family doctor sent me to a cardiologist because I was having chest pain, flip flopping, and out of breath...badly.

My Upper ventricle on the left side of my heart is enlarged. They are not 100 percent sure what has caused this, my blood pressure is normally 140/90 at the highest.

They have told me nothing more. My insurance is giving them a hard time about another appointment and my family doctor only knows so much regarding heart issues. I also have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.

I get sooo out of breath when I walk. I get extremly hot and cannot breath. I would like to exercise some to get in better shape but I am afraid to. Is the out of breath and heart beating out of my chest is due to the enlargement then am I going to have a heart attack if I push myself? Should I rest when I get out of breath? To be honest I get so out of breath I dont have much of a choice but to stop and rest but I do not push myself due to the fear of a heart attack. My doctors have not told me anything. Other then if the bottom part of my heart was to become enlarged it would lead to heart failure. So it sounds severe and serious to me. Any suggestions? Is a heart attack likley? Thanks very much. I know this is a medical board and noone can diagnose. I would just like some opinions and be educated a little. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: upper ventricle enlarged

Quote:
Originally Posted by om7peace View Post
... My Upper ventricle on the left side of my heart is enlarged.
The upper part of your heart has the left and right Atria. The Ventricle is the lower right and left sides your heart.

Quote:
They are not 100 percent sure what has caused this, my blood pressure is normally 140/90 at the highest.
Blood Pressure varies every minute of the day, day and night. It is quite possible that there are times during the day that your blood pressure is not at healthy levels. High Blood Pressure usually leads to valve disease and enlargement of the heart.

Enlargement to the heart can also be caused, over time, by a bad diet, one that is too high in calories.

Quote:
Is the out of breath and heart beating out of my chest is due to the enlargement then am I going to have a heart attack if I push myself?
The only one who should advise you on exercise would be a health professional.

Quote:
Should I rest when I get out of breath?
I've got an enlarged heart and have been diagnosed as suffering from Heart Failure. When I have breathing problems, or if my heart starts beating crazy, or if I have chest pains, or if I get fatigued, I rest and absolutely do not push myself or put any additional strain on my enlarged heart.

Quote:
So it sounds severe and serious to me.
I agree with you.

Quote:
Any suggestions?
If you'd care to read it, I started a thread here, under Heart Disorders, called: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=742271. This direct link can be copied and pasted into the address window near the top of your browser. To find the address window, look for an address starting with www.healthboards.com/

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-01-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Closed Thread