It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Question Chemically Induced Stress Test

Hello Everyone,
I've never been on this particular board before and had a question about a "chemically induced stress test" coming up on the 8th. By the way, I had neck & lower back fusions within the past 8 months, the most recent one being neck surgery on March 29th, so that and along with Osteoarthritis in my hips is why I cannot do the walking stress test.
I'm 60 years young, and just a little over weight from all the heavy steroids they gave me recently (about 10 lbs over weight). Anyway, while I was in for this last surgery I ended up in the icu for 4 days because of excessive bleeding (had transfusion) and also had Tachycardia. The Dr. who over saw my care said that when I get out he wanted me to have a stress test, so my primary Dr. set it up at the heart hospital. I know they will answer allot of my questions, when I go, but I read on one of the search engines, that a person can have a heart attack or some other side affects when the test is chemically induced. Do I have anything to worry about, or is that something that will be said to me before the test? I also have been a little short of breath since I had this last surgery, and I can't get enough sleep. Anyone else have this kind of test?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Chemically Induced Stress Test

Hi Precious55,

I've had a chemical stress test and came through it just fine.

They slowly inject a drug to increase your heart rate .. If you are able they might ask you to peddle a stationary bicycle slowly for 4 minutes (optional).
You wont know your heart rate has increased unless you can see the monitor.

When finished they will give you another drug to return your heart rate to normal (if needed).

There are risks in all medical proceedures however the risks are low and they have all the equipment on hand should anything go wrong.

Don't worry you'll be fine.

Last edited by Vyking; 05-02-2011 at 12:21 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vyking For This Useful Post:
Precious55 (05-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Chemically Induced Stress Test

My husband can't do the TM either as he has very bad Nueropathy in his feet from his Diabetes so has had many chemical stress tests. Like Vyking said, there is always a risk with any procedure but I seriously doubt you will have any. Hope the test comes out fine so keep us posted.

Wishing you all the best...JJ....

Closed Thread