It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User
Diagnosed with slightly Enlarged Heart

I suffer with hypertension with is controlled by meds. I also have thyroid disease which is also controlled. also been put on diet pills now from the doctor to drop a bit of weight.

I was diagnosed with slightly enlarged heart today. I am 42 years old female. The doctor said its nothing to worry about.

I do a lot of exercise to try and drop weight but have been breathless recently. I was even at A and E other day as I was having chest pains, but they said all was fine and seems like I had a panic attack.

I guess a slightly enlarged heart is not that serious?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Diagnosed with slightly Enlarged Heart

An enlarged left ventricle can be a condition that is easily dimissed. If that was my dx I would what an echocardiogram to determine viability of the ventricle walls, functionality of the LV's pumping strength (ejection fraction), valves are compliant, etc.

High blood pressure can enlarge the ventricle, but usually when the blood pressure is controlled there less burden for the heart and the heart will reverse remodeling, but not always. Your doctor should be able to explain or recognize the underlying cause...I don't believe a panic attack(s) would increase the heart size! Thanks for your question.

KenKeith

Last edited by started04; 05-16-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: word out of sequence

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by started04 View Post
An enlarged left ventricle can be a condition that is easily dimissed. If that was my dx I would what an echocardiogram to determine viability of the ventricle walls, functionality of the LV's pumping strength (ejection fraction), valves are compliant, etc.

High blood pressure can enlarge the ventricle, but usually when the blood pressure is controlled there less burden for the heart and the heart will reverse remodeling, but not always. Your doctor should be able to explain or recognize the underlying cause...I don't believe a panic attack(s) would increase the heart size! Thanks for your question.

KenKeith
thanks for the advice, my GPS dont seem to want to bother much really. I am pretty disappointed with them actually. Doc said I dont have fluid on my chest, but my sister inlaw told me earlier you cant tell this from a simple chest Xray and can only tell from the thing you mentioned above. So why is the doctor lying to me then?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWriter1968 View Post
thanks for the advice, my GPS dont seem to want to bother much really. I am pretty disappointed with them actually. Doc said I dont have fluid on my chest, but my sister inlaw told me earlier you cant tell this from a simple chest Xray and can only tell from the thing you mentioned above. So why is the doctor lying to me then?
>>>>There may not be pleural effusion which is an abnormal amount of pleural effusion that is within a thin tissue that lines the chest cavity and surrounds the lungs.

My other post is in response to an enlarged heart (muscle) of the left ventricle.

The following tests may help to confirm a diagnosis of pleural effusion:

Chest CT scan, Chest x-ray, pleural fluid analysis (examining the fluid under a microscope to look for bacteria, amount of protein, and presence of cancer cells). Other than imaging there can be thoracentesis (a sample of fluid is removed with a needle inserted between the ribs) and an echo fro a dx.

Hope the info provides a perspective.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I also had a slightly enlarged heart from years of high blood pressure....same age as you too. And overweight too. Was told not to worry about it...yeah, right.

Then about 10 years ago, my doc told me to go out and walk everyday. Not hard walking and not pushing myself...just a nice long walk. The key was length of time I walked, not how hard I walked. So I started to walk for an hour plus a day and slowly but surely, my heart has returned to a normal size. It got worked out gently and regularly.

Turned out the key is the time and not the intensity......gentle frequent exercise like just going for a nice long walk.

Might want to give it a try....helped me lose weight too.

Jenny

Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

Thanks for all your info.

I have the results, can anyone tell me what this means as I cant find it anywhere?

Cardiothoracid ratio 151/289 on my heart?

The rest says No pulmonary edema or pleural effusion currently which means I have no fluid and no evident consolidation.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

Quote:

KenKeith
My Xray results,
Cardiothoracic ratio 151/289 on my heart?
Dunno what it means

Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

My Xray results,
Cardiothoracic ratio 151/289 on my heart?
Dunno what it means

>>>>>The ratio is to determine normal size of heart related to the chest cavity (thoracic). The normal ratio is less than 0.50. Your ratio is slightly high (52%)

Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

Thanks for info, the reason my same message twice was cause they was not showing up before and was having probs with site running slow, it took a while to get into this today to reply back to you.

thanks for the ratio info. I could not find info anywhere on line. Do you think the doctor should refer me then? rather then just sending me away?
I to take pills for hypertension already and thyroid probls.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

From your posted information doesn't appear to be any serious condition. Pleural effusion becomes a medical issue when a large volume of fluid accumulates in either right or left chest cavity. This condition can cause a respiratory dysfunction because it would impair the lungs to normally and this could cause shortness of breath.

It appears you don't have a serious condition and don't require treatment. There can be more extreme treatment (drainage, needle between the ribs, etc.) Your doctor could prescribe diuretic drugs that will excrete excess fluid through the kidneys, and this would help to reabsorb this excess fluid in the chest cavity.

Hope this helps provide some insight. Onlt your doctor who has the full benefit of your medical history i.e., concomitant health issues, medication, etc.

Last edited by started04; 05-18-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: delete some information

Old 05-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

Quote:
From your posted information doesn't appear to be any serious condition. Pleural effusion becomes a medical issue when a large volume of fluid accumulates in either right or left chest cavity. This condition can cause a respiratory dysfunction because it would impair the lungs to normally and this could cause shortness of breath.

It appears you don't have a serious condition and don't require treatment. There can be more extreme treatment (drainage, needle between the ribs, etc.) Your doctor could prescribe diuretic drugs that will excrete excess fluid through the kidneys, and this would help to reabsorb this excess fluid in the chest cavity.

Hope this helps provide some insight. Onlt your doctor who has the full benefit of your medical history i.e., concomitant health issues, medication, etc.
Thanks so much for your help on this appreciated.

Closed Thread