It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
(male)

IlliniGuy76 HB User
34 Year Old - High Blood Pressure

Hi All -

My first time posting here...

I'm a 34 year old male - in a healthy condition. 6'2", 215 lbs....

This year I have had the following in my life:

- Close Aunt passed away unexpectantly
- Started a new job
- Found out Great Aunt has cancer
- Had a diverticulitis attack
- Close to ending a 3 year relationship with my GF

In February I was at the Doctors office and had a 130/80 BP reading, weighing 230 lbs (I was overweight). During the diverticulitis attack I was put on a clear liquid diet for 8 days. I obviously lost weight at that point. I've consistently been about 213-215 over the last month or so.

My blood pressure has spiked BIG TIME at the Doctors office - from 135/82 to the other day it was at 140/100. I've been having dizziness and headaches for the last month or so. The Doctor felt that that this is related to high blood pressure and told me that the next time I see him if it is still high he's starting me on BP medication. He hasn't done other testing that could be a result of the headaches/dizziness (he originally diagnosed it as tension headaches).

He told me to go to Walgreens and measure my BP away from the Doctor's office. Yesterday it was 139/79 and today it was 130/78.

Wanted the boards opinion - isn't this something I can control by reducing stress and exercising more? Isn't it very odd for a 34 year old healthy male to be on BP medication?

Thoughts?

Last edited by IlliniGuy76; 05-21-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: 34 Year Old - High Blood Pressure

The doctor suggesting a self test at a public drug store indicates your doctor believes you may be experiencing unnecessary stress with a doctor's visit. But a pulblic facility is not a very good yo verify...often the cuff has been stetctched may not be properly calibrated, etc.Too much alcohol consumption (more than 1 to 2 drinks per day).

It is true that high blood pressure is medical problem more with the older than the younger propulation. It may be due to plaque buildup as one ages, but there are many other causes such as stess, genetics, family history of hbp, kidney disease, adrenal and thyroid disorders,
Stress
Older age
Genetics
Family history of high blood pressure
Chronic kidney disease
Adrenal and thyroid disorders.

Yes, heart/vascular diet, aerobic exercise, proper life style, no smoking, no excessive alcohol, etc. can put and keep your blood pressure under control and would be better than medication. Exercise can reduce stress and with reduction of stress the blood pressure should be normal and/or below within a few weels or so.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
(male)

IlliniGuy76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by started04 View Post
The doctor suggesting a self test at a public drug store indicates your doctor believes you may be experiencing unnecessary stress with a doctor's visit. But a pulblic facility is not a very good yo verify...often the cuff has been stetctched may not be properly calibrated, etc.Too much alcohol consumption (more than 1 to 2 drinks per day).

It is true that high blood pressure is medical problem more with the older than the younger propulation. It may be due to plaque buildup as one ages, but there are many other causes such as stess, genetics, family history of hbp, kidney disease, adrenal and thyroid disorders,
Stress
Older age
Genetics
Family history of high blood pressure
Chronic kidney disease
Adrenal and thyroid disorders.

Yes, heart/vascular diet, aerobic exercise, proper life style, no smoking, no excessive alcohol, etc. can put and keep your blood pressure under control and would be better than medication. Exercise can reduce stress and with reduction of stress the blood pressure should be normal and/or below within a few weels or so.
Thank you for your kind response!

I just went for a very brisk 20 minute walk outside. I came home and feel somewhat dizzy etc, and sweating quite a bit. I can only guess this means I am horribly out of shape.

I would hope this isn't due to me needing to run to the ER!

Would a brisk 20 minute walk everyday be sufficient enough to start lowering my BP?

Note: I just had a full blood test - even more so than a CBC test. Everything came back normal. I do have a few family members that have been diagnosed with HBP. I don't smoke, I've probably had 10 drinks total since the beginning of February.

Last edited by IlliniGuy76; 05-21-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

A brisk walk for twenty minutes 3 times a week is about the minimum recommended as I have read. But depending on what and how much stress you are under may require a more active routine.

For a guideline and it is my routine for the past 10 years. Vigorous Aerobic Activity for 20 Minutes on 3 days each Week, How Long: 20 minutes, How Often: At least 3 days a week. It is recommended to increase your heart rate to (220 minus age) for the most benefit when there is physical fitness...less if one is not in very good physical condition. You should not feel dizzy, and that symotom would require further analysis.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
(male)

IlliniGuy76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by started04 View Post
A brisk walk for twenty minutes 3 times a week is about the minimum recommended as I have read. But depending on what and how much stress you are under may require a more active routine.

For a guideline and it is my routine for the past 10 years. Vigorous Aerobic Activity for 20 Minutes on 3 days each Week, How Long: 20 minutes, How Often: At least 3 days a week. It is recommended to increase your heart rate to (220 minus age) for the most benefit when there is physical fitness...less if one is not in very good physical condition. You should not feel dizzy, and that symotom would require further analysis.
With my BP readings as they have been - under the stress I've been under - I should not be feeling dizziness after this? Meaning.. I don't think my BP readings have been so incredibly high that would experience dizziness etc after a 20 minute brisk walk. I could be wrong...

I have had constant headaches/dizziness/feeling "cloudy" for about 2 months now.

What conditions could the dizziness be from? Thanks for your replies BTW... like I said my Doctor over the last month plus has just told me that it was tension headaches till yesterday he mentioned that I might need to be put on high BP medication. I'm thinking about going to see another GP. I just am wondering if I should be rushing to the ER today.

Last edited by IlliniGuy76; 05-21-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
(male)

rickysgreyes HB User

Hi, at 215 lbs your BMI at 27.6 is still quite on the high side. Try to lower your BMI to a healthy 24++ or below. At age 34, you should already start thinking about permanently changing you lifestlye, basically exercising at least 3-4times/week (both aerobic and anaerobic) and, just as importantly, changing your diet (less red meat/dairy/fast foods/junk, and shift to more fruits,veggies, fish, non-fat dairy). In all likelihood, you can still avoid early medication with the correct weight management/diet/workout. If you have family history of cardivascular/diabetes problems, all the more change your diet.

Stress factors will always be there, be it in the form of family, financial, personal, environmental, work matters. These will be mostly uncontrollable - -but your lifestyle is highly controllable.

My personal experience - -in my 30s I exercised a lot (5-7 hours a week of basketball, running and high impact badminton). However, I did not watch my diet - -eating all sorts of fried stuff, beef, steak, junk, etc. Result - -I still developed cardiovascular problems even with all that exercise. I have lost 35 lbs. in my 40s with the right diet and exercise but (unfortunately too late) am already on all these pills for hypertension/cholesterol, which I feel I could have avoided had I started my lifestyle change in my 30s.

Closed Thread