It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
(male)

epicurious HB User
Palpitations? I can feel and hear my heartbeat

Hi All,

I'm a 28y/o male, no diagnosed illnesses.

Since I can remember I have always been able to hear my heatbeat in my ears when everything is quiet (e.g. just before going to sleep). As well as this, I have also always been able to feel my heartbeat throughout my body. This isn't constant, sometimes I can't feel it, but usually at any given moment I can.

I can even feel the very slight difference between when my heat beats and when it reaches my fingertips.

Often, when I lie down to do go sleep, I can hear my heartbeat, and also feel my body sort of reverberating on each beat and even feels like I am 'moving' on each beat. Sometimes this can really make it hard to get to sleep just from the annoyance factor.

Anyway, I have never mentioned this to a doctor or in fact *anyone* before, but the other day my girlfriend asked why I couldnt sleep and I just told her it was because my heart was making me vibrate more than usual. I'm 28 and have had this all my life but I only just found out that this may not be 'normal' and that not everyone gets it, according to my girlfriend. I have never told anyone, just like I have never told anyone that my fingernails grow.

So, what I am trying to find out is:

1. is this really not 'normal' or is it just something that some people get and others don't?
2. is it something I should be concerned about?
3. I have heard of palpitations and read the definition, but I'm not sure if that is what I have, I don't have a 'bad feeling' or 'discomfort', I can just feel my heartbeat.
4. Should I see a doctor specifically about this or should I just mention it next time I go to see a doctor when I am sick (probably within the next 12-24 months sometime).

Oh, and I'm terribly sorry if this is in the wrong forum category, I couldn't really find a perfect match for it anywhere.

Last edited by epicurious; 05-22-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
(male)

DKTemp HB User
Re: Palpitations? I can feel and hear my heartbeat

I just went through a similar issue, with palpitations. I ran through tests, and everything is fine. If you're concerned, of course talk to a doctor.

However, the cardiologist told me that some people are just more "sensitive" to their heartbeat than others. Some people can feel every beat, some people can't. It sounds like you're like me, that you can feel them more than normal. It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong.

Closed Thread

Tags
heartbeat, palpitations