It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

mish143 HB User
PVCs - How many consecutive are dangerous?

How many consecutive PVCs are dangerous or when should you seek medical advice? I am currently under a cardiologist's care. Three years ago, after complaining to my doctor about pain in my chest and having a sinking feeling, I was fitted with a 24 hour halter monitor. The monitor showed 1 episode of ventricular tachycardia. I was then sent to a cardiologist who did a nuclear stress test and echo cardigram. Everything checked out. I was put on different beta blockers and finally settled with Bystolic (not many side affects). A year later I wore a monitor for 1 week because I was continuing to have strange feelings in my chest. I was told everything checked out. Not until another appt. with my cardiologist and me complaining did he tell me I was experiencing PVCs and they were not dangerous and not to worry.

The past 6 months my PVCs have drastically increased. They occur when I am resting, they occur when I'm playing tennis (never experienced PVCs before when playing), and just about every day. I will have episodes for 3-4 hours a day. Some come back to back (within seconds of each other). I just counted 14 in a 10 minute period. My blood pressure is good - runs between 100/60 - 115-70 and my pulse is running around 78-80.

Should this increase be of any concern? Is this normal? I guess I worry because of the 1 episode I had of ventricular tachycardia which I understand can be very dangerous.

Thanks for your advice and input.

Last edited by mish143; 05-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
(female)

runnyc HB User
Re: PVCs - How many consecutive are dangerous?

Dear Mish,
You should always contact your cardiologist if you are experiencing multiple PVC's. I have been dealing with PVC's for 3 years now. I first noticed them when I went of birth control pills. (I am a 42 year old woman and an avid runner). I tend to feel every single one. They are so bothersome. I have been back and forth to the cardiologist. My last holter showed 875 in 1 day.. which, they say, is not astronomical, but uncomfortable, nonetheless. Most of the Drs seem to dismiss my PVC's since I am healthy and active. One of the cardiologists suggested Fish Oil. Simple as that. For 2 months I have been taking 1 500mg Fish Oil Gelcap everyday and the PVC's have improved dramatically. I no longer feel them everyday. When I Do experience them, I may feel 4 in a day, mostly after a long run. I don't know if Fish Oil is the answer, but for me, it seems to be working and I welcome that! Good luck!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
(female)

mish143 HB User
Re: PVCs - How many consecutive are dangerous?

Thanks....I do take fish oil, but not on a regular basis. I will definitely try to take regularly and see what happens.

Funny......I play tennis 2-3 days per week and my cardiologist tells me basically the same thing--not to worry since I'm active and can get out on the courts and play.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
(female)

runnyc HB User
Smile Re: PVCs - How many consecutive are dangerous?

Isn't it frustrating that PVC's are often "dismissed"? My blood pressure is on the low-side 90/60 and since my cardiologist didn't feel 800 a day is an impressive amount, he felt beta blockers would cause more harm than good. Another cardiologist mentioned the Fish Oil, so I gave it a try. One other thing that may coincide with my improvement... I was diagnosed with hypothyroidsim (underactive thyroid) in February and went on synthroid. When I was experiencing the PVC's with great frequency, they would usually come at rest, when my heart rate was low or after a run. On the synthroid, I think my heart rate is a little higher.. so perhaps its a combination of the synthroid and Fish Oil. I do know that they have definitely improved. I hope the fish oil helps!

Closed Thread