It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

anxiousgirl0322 HB User
Anyone experiences heart palpitation at night esp. when lying on the side?

Hello,

After reading these threads, it's good to know that I'm not alone in experiencing palpitations at night.

I'm a 28 yo female, have been experiencing palpitations on and off, this past week for four nights in a row. I would go to sleep and wake up by the palpitations (feels like irregular beats plus pounding heart beat for a few seconds) two hours later. Every night is the same. It gets worse when I turn to my side. What I find that helps is to sit up, once I sit up, the symptom stops. However, night palpitations has interrupted my sleep, and makes me more anxious. I am afraid to lie back down to sleep after experiencing these sxs. So I have to sit up for a while, and lie down to sleep again (this time usually for a longer period like 6 hrs of sleep straight). Does anyone experience similar symptoms?

I went to see my Primary doctor, she ordered a complete lab work, everything comes back within normal range. She also performed a EKG on me, it shows borderline abnormality with my age and gender. However, the Dr. said there's not much to worry about with my age. She thinks it's more caused by anxiety and stress. I don't smoke or drink, or exercise regularly, and no family hx of heart problems. But it's been bothering me at night. I can't turn to the side to sleep. Should I be concerned that I'm experiencing this at such an age? Please post your thoughts and share your experience with me. I greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Anyone experiences heart palpitation at night esp. when lying on the side?

It could definately be caused by stress or anxiety, but..seeing she saw a slight abnormality in your EKG I would ask to see a Cardio Dr. and get an Echo just to make sure all is fine. Many people, including myself get them especially if you have a rough day or sometimes overtired. My EKG came back slightly abnormal a few years ago and my Dr. had me see a Cardio guy and get an Echogram. Told me yes..there is a slight abnormality but nothing to get excited about, but get checked once a year. I doubt it's anything serious but for peace of mind it wouldn't hurt to get it checked.

Good luck, keep us posted...JJ...

Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
(male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User
Smile Re: Anyone experiences heart palpitation at night esp. when lying on the side?

The interesting thing about your palpitations is that they take place during sleep. Why? Why not during the day when you're awake? The reason I ask these questions is because that's what a Dr. is going to think of. Is there a condition during sleep that brings on palpitations. I've asked and the answer is no. So stress and anxiety become issues to consider, especially panic disorder. I've had them all my life, a very long life, believe me, and when they come during sleep I ignore them and do not fead them more anxiety because anxiety becomes more severe if you fead it more anxiety. It's like adding fuel to a fire. You'll find that if you read a little or watch a bit of TV. you'll relax and return to sleep. Of course panic anxiety can also hit one during the day. However, from what you report this does not seem to be happening to you, which is a blessing. As you know palpitations are very common. For peace of mind see a cardio and ask for event monitor so that he can actually see what is going on with your heart when you're having palpitations. If nothing, then nothing should be done or given. You can deal with them by changing how much coffee, tea, soda or any other stimulent you may be over using and bringing your stress under control. All the very best my friend and good luck. Awlright.

P. S. whatever you do stay away from meds unlesss cardio says the you absoultely need them. Please don't make a patient out of yourself. You're much too young for that.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
(male)

man648 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousgirl0322 View Post
Hello,

After reading these threads, it's good to know that I'm not alone in experiencing palpitations at night.

I'm a 28 yo female, have been experiencing palpitations on and off, this past week for four nights in a row. I would go to sleep and wake up by the palpitations (feels like irregular beats plus pounding heart beat for a few seconds) two hours later. Every night is the same. It gets worse when I turn to my side. What I find that helps is to sit up, once I sit up, the symptom stops. However, night palpitations has interrupted my sleep, and makes me more anxious. I am afraid to lie back down to sleep after experiencing these sxs. So I have to sit up for a while, and lie down to sleep again (this time usually for a longer period like 6 hrs of sleep straight). Does anyone experience similar symptoms?

I went to see my Primary doctor, she ordered a complete lab work, everything comes back within normal range. She also performed a EKG on me, it shows borderline abnormality with my age and gender. However, the Dr. said there's not much to worry about with my age. She thinks it's more caused by anxiety and stress. I don't smoke or drink, or exercise regularly, and no family hx of heart problems. But it's been bothering me at night. I can't turn to the side to sleep. Should I be concerned that I'm experiencing this at such an age? Please post your thoughts and share your experience with me. I greatly appreciated!!
I can identify with you on the PVCs waking us up at night. I have nasty times with them during the day and night both, off and on. I have had these PVCs since I was about 13 and now I am MUCH older. Just 2 nights ago I had just started to doze off for the night and it hit me so hard that I bolted up from bed to get relief, and it did work. It gets very difficult to deal with but we have no choice. I have had numerous testing, including an EPS test, many holter monitors and I have been on different meds to help. Currently I am on amiodarone and I would like to get off of it but I wonder if the med is keeping the "long runs" of PVCs from happening again. I wish you the best and try to accept and deal with the problem as good as you can.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
(male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User

if it's any consolation I'm had PVCs for most of my adult life too, off and on. Lately it's been the worst. I'm told it has to do with my having a pacemaker implanted a year and half ago. Most people in the pacemaker club tell me that it's been their experience. PVCs are incredible strange. Mine are on line only when I walk around. If I'm sitting down or lying down my heart beats like a Rolex, but the moment I get up and walk around they come every second beat and do bring on dizziness and shortness of breath. Presently I'm on Beta Blocker and it is helping to reduce them, but it does make me feel tired, (small price to pay). Yes, by all means try to get off the med you're on. It does not have a good reputation. You have to work very closely with your doctor when you're on it. You probably have the details on it, but if not let me know and I'll send what I have. All the best of luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
(male)

man648 HB User

I see my cardio at least every 6 months. He has watched me like a hawk, through blood tests, xrays of the heart and talking with me whenever I need to. I've been very blessed with my cardio. He is also is a professor of cardiology at the University of Toledo Medical Center in Ohio. Yet these arrhythmia problems are very debilitating at times. Some are VERY strong and others are just very uncomfortable. Sometimes when I start dozing off, the PVCs jerk me awake. Other times it is body movements that trigger them like bending over, twisting and other movements. I realize that amiodarone is risky but it seems to covert me baack from runs of PVCs. I don't know how much longer I can stay on it but, again, my cardio really watches the blood levels of different things to keep me safe as I can be. I have had some halo vision, recently, thyroid side effects and nasty skin/sun problems. Thank you for your reply and I hope we can keep in contact some how. Take care and hang in there.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
(male)

You're very lucky to have such a devoted cardio, especially one who has a real knowledge and feel for arrhythmias. I haven't been that fortunate nor have many others. Like most profession drs. like to deal with success and something they can resolve and people like us present very difficult cases and symptoms that they cannot get under control. It frustrates them to have to face what to this day is still so poorly understood in the field of cardiology. Arrhythmia can pop up anytime anywhere without providing any clue as to its arrival. I guess it's not only drs., but most of us want to deal with that which has some aspect of rationality, that makes sense. Arrhythmia doesn't. I've had them since I was in my middle twenties. Now the PVCs turn into VT runs. That's why I've decided to use the BBs and so far so good. I can still feel the PVCs but not as strong or as frequent as before. Stay well and lets touch base now and then.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
(female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User

I have read all of these replies and a few things come to mind. eat flaxseeds or linseeds, put them generously in banana smoothies or over salads or cereal. I do and it help because there is a substance in them called A.L.A or something like that, and helps regulate the electrical rhythms of the heart (the beat). I am on betablockers to, and have been for 16 yrs, and I noticed a marked improvement when I started doing this. Also, when u r sleeping, have u considered sleep apneoa as a problem, that would create stress during sleep. goodluck..

Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
(female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User

additionally, get ur potassium checkd, or try getting some more in ur diet (dont go overboard tho, that can be bad too). low potassium can affect palpitations too, esp at nite. And have a couple glasses of water b4 bed to hydrate ur blood, resting ur heart better.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
(male)

Unhappy Re: Anyone experiences heart palpitation at night esp. when lying on the side?

I cannot think of any medical condition (that would not cause other symptoms) that would give one palpitations only during sleep, except panic disorder or anxiety disorder. I'm speaking from experience, since I suffer from Panic disorder and go through periods when I have palpitations nightly for months at a time. They do go away for six or seven months, once for a year, only to return. arrhythmias that do not have a physical etiology related to a heart condition are notoriously connected to our emotional make up and are considered benign. Nevertheless, they can make getting a good nights sleep very difficult. In that respect they're like PVCs that don't go away when one lays down or wake one up from a deep sleep.

Certainly, there is no reason not to try good nutrition. Anything that will not hurt and might help should be considered. But it is always good to keep in mind that our systems do not function in isolation. One must look at the whole picture. Without help we often come to fear going to sleep because we expect palpitations or PVCs. Consequetly it can become a vicious cycle that seems impossible to break out of.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousgirl0322 View Post
... I would go to sleep and wake up by the palpitations (feels like irregular beats plus pounding heart beat for a few seconds) two hours later. Every night is the same.
Allergic reactions can cause the heart to misfire and an increase in blood pressure. The bed is the worst place for allergies. Plus...... at night, your body's chemistry goes through major changes (ref: Circadian Rhythm), which can cause all sorts of nightly changes in health that don't happen during the daytime.

Quote:
It gets worse when I turn to my side. What I find that helps is to sit up, once I sit up, the symptom stops.
I've got heart valve problems and a damaged heart (heart failure). As my heart condition worsened, I would suffer from different heart rate/palpitation problems depending upon whether I lay on my right side, left side or back. Laying on my right side would cause different types of heart rate disturbances, and other problems, than laying on my left side, or back.

As my condition has significantly improved over the years, the problems I've had sleeping on my sides or back have greatly diminished or gone away. I can now sleep on my sides, or back, without any troubling heart rate/palpitation problems.

I am not suggesting that you have any serious problems with your heart. There are just different types of pressure on different parts of our heart, depending upon how we lay in bed. If we have a sensitive heart, which is already prone to palpitations/PVCs and other heart rate dysfunction, then changing the pressures on the heart, during the normal movement of blood, by changing the position in which we lay in bed, might result in increased palpitations/heart rate abnormalities.

In my case, my problems with night time palpitations/PVCs, and my problems with palpitations/PVCs depending upon which side I sleep, has gotten significantly better as my health and my heart condition has improved.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
man648 (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
(male)

man648 HB User

It is so reassuring and helpful that we all can compare notes on here. My description of my arrhythmia mirror some of the other posts and some don't. You hit part of my description about lying down in different positions and sitting up to stop the arrhythmia. Back in 2002 I had a heart attack, after many years of the arrhythmia, and I was having pvcs and vtach along with the heart attack for about an hour or so. That was very scary, to say the least. Each day can be a challenge but we must take it one day at a time, the best we are able to. Thanks for your sharing.....

Closed Thread