It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
(female)

lyndylou1 HB User
Open Heart Surgery - How painful will it be?

Is there anyone out there who has recently undergone open heart surgery? On the 12th July 2011 I will be having an Aortal Aneurysm repaired, a new Aortal Valve, and a stent in a blocked coronary artery. I know that it is unrealistic to think it will not be painful, but just how painful will it really be? Also, I am SO tired of being tired, and having little quality of life at the moment, can anyone tell me whether there is a lot of improvement in energy levels post op? I know I don't have a choice in the matter....I either have the surgery or die!....but it would make a big difference if I knew I was going to get my life back! I'm not usually a sissy, - I can usually "roll with the punches", (I am divorced, live alone, and proud of my independence! Very rarely am I able to admit to weakness, or ask for help..."I am WOMAN..hear me ROAR" ) - but this is by far the most threatening situation that I have ever faced before, and yes, in all honesty, I am really, really afraid! I would truly appreciate someone to talk to who has been through something similar, and who can maybe reassure me a little?..........Thanks so much for listening to me whinge!

Last edited by lyndylou1; 07-04-2011 at 04:13 AM. Reason: bad grammar!

The following user gives a hug of support to lyndylou1:
Vyking (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Open Heart Surgery - How painful will it be?

Hi,
I had a triple bypass in Oct 2009.
In all honesty I can say I never had much pain and what pain I did have was controlled by pills - I was quite surprised by the lack of pain.
There's a bit of discomfort at times (especially if you cough) but not a great deal of pain.

Being afraid is quite normal but once it's over you'll wonder what you were afraid of in the first place.

Recovery time varies from person to person but you can count on at least 3 months recovery time.

Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vyking For This Useful Post:
lyndylou1 (07-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
(female)

lyndylou1 HB User

Thank you Viking, that is really comforting to know! Being an Aussie, you will know what a "Wuss" is......and that is exactly how I've been feeling! Guess its having to acknowledge to myself that I'm NOT Superwoman! (".....able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!!!") DAMN!!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Yep, I know what a 'Wuss' is.
Try not to worry though, you'll be fine.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
(female)

maisie jane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndylou1 View Post
Thank you Viking, that is really comforting to know! Being an Aussie, you will know what a "Wuss" is......and that is exactly how I've been feeling! Guess its having to acknowledge to myself that I'm NOT Superwoman! (".....able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!!!") DAMN!!!!
I am reading your post today 12/07/11 hope your surgery went well, its over now and the only way is up, its just about getting stronger each day and before you know it your life is back and who knows it may be better than before fingers crossed xxx

Closed Thread