It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
(male)

snkartha HB User
Post Angiogram complications for my father

My father is 73 years old, non alcoholic, non smoker, vegetarian. In Apr 2011, he was having some discomfort in the heart area and so was asked to take a battery of tests like ECG, Tread Mill etc. These results showed that he was very healthy. It was then when he insisted that he was not feeling comfortable, he was asked to take an Angiogram. Now, this was taken on May 2, 2011 and this showed Triple Vessel Disease and he was asked to go in for CABG. He is yet to undergo this.

My father is very health conscious and walks for atleast 5-6 kms a day. He has been doing this for the several years and continued to do even after the Angiogram was done. In the past couple of weeks he has not been able to do the same amount of walking that he had enjoyed. He says he is feeling tired down the hips and sometimes stops with walking just 500 mts and he is back. He says there is no problem when he rests, but when he walks he feels sick down the hip and unable to proceed. Last week on the advise of doctors, he underwent Doppler test and this also showed that the results were good.

This morning, he went for walk around 5 am, but retured within 5-10 mts. saying that he is unable to do it. He felt pathetic and even cried wondering what might be the problem.

I am trying to find answers to alleviate his fears. Is this quite normal of getting pain around the hips post angiogram ? Is there any medication or simple exercise that he can take ?

Thanks
Sajiv, Chennai, India.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Post Angiogram complications for my father

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkartha View Post
... Now, this was taken on May 2, 2011 and this showed Triple Vessel Disease and he was asked to go in for CABG. He is yet to undergo this.

This morning, he went for walk around 5 am, but retured within 5-10 mts. saying that he is unable to do it. He felt pathetic and even cried wondering what might be the problem.
Your dad has three blocked arteries. How badly are they blocked?

Quote:
I am trying to find answers to alleviate his fears. Is this quite normal of getting pain around the hips post angiogram ?
Are the problems because of the angiogram, or because his blocked arteries are getting worse?

Why has he decided to ignore the doctor's recommendation of CABG? Have his doctors recommended any other approach or procedure?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
(male)

snkartha HB User

Hi Machon,

Thanks for your reply. The Angio report showed that 60-90% block. He has been getting mixed response. Since he has been very healthy, the doctor had told that now that his heart is very healthy, this is the best time to do it.

And since my father has been healthy, he wanted to know why he should get CABG done now :-). We also searched for alternatives to CABG and though we found some answers, we have not gone ahead with it as we have not heard of anyone we know has followed it. But, he is strictly following the diet and medical prescriptions suggested by the hospital.

My father infact went to the doc when he had the tiredness feeling around the hips. He had asked if it has got anything to with the blocks to which the doc had replied negative and suggested for Doppler and this report also showed that there is no problem. My father is still ready to go ahead with the CABG, but he wants to know why this problem of tiredness has now come and if it has got to do anything with the blocks.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
(male)

snkartha HB User

Hi Machon,

Here is the extract of the Angio report. I dont know what to interpret from this, but I was told that one of the block is almost 90%.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
FEMORAL INJECTION SHOWS TORTUROUS ABDOMINAL AORTA HENCE A 45 cm LONG SHEATH USED.

LCA ANGIO SHOWS LMCA IS NORMAL

LAD IS TYPE III VESSEL AND HAS OSTIAL 90% STENOSIS FOLLOWED BY 60-70% STENOSIS IN THE
MID SEGMENT. DISTAL LAD HAS 80% STENOSIS. DIAGNOL IS SMALL AND HAS 90% STENOSIS

LCX IS DOMINANT VESSEL AND HAS PROXIMAL 70-80% STENOSIS. OM HAS PROXIMAL 90%
STENOSIS IN THE UPPER AND LOWER BRANCH. LPDA HAS 90% STENOSIS

LEFT INJECTION SHOWS FILLING OF NON-DOMINANT RCA AND IS DISEASED.

LEFT SUBCLAVIAN INJECTION SHOWS LIMA IS NORMAL

LV ANGIO NOT DONE : GOOD LV FUNCTION BY ECHO
---------------------------------------------------

Old 07-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkartha View Post
... And since my father has been healthy, he wanted to know why he should get CABG done now :-). ... My father is still ready to go ahead with the CABG, but he wants to know why this problem of tiredness has now come and if it has got to do anything with the blocks.
Our body's are very tough and durable. I've got major damage to my heart, but still have a relatively good quality of life and can do demanding physical exercise.

Your father's circulatory system is severely blocked in certain arteries, restricting the amount of blood and oxygen to his heart, glands, muscles and other organs, and restricting life-necessary blood to his circulatory system, and he can still function fairly well at 73 years of age. Your father should be applauded for his very healthy lifestyle.

However...... the worse the blockage, the less oxygen that flows throughout the body, and the harder that the heart has to work to keep up with the demands of the body. The doctors are saying that, while your father's body, and heart, are still in a fairly good, strong, healthy state, then this is a good time to fix the blockage problem. My guess is that they want to fix the problem before the blockage causes any worsening problems. Also, the blockages put your father at greater risk for a stroke or heart attack.

You can always play "what-if" games, or "why" games, but one thing that you know for sure is that your father has some very serious and dangerous blockages, and he is suffering from some fairly significant symptoms, which can be the result of the blockages.

Quote:
This morning, he went for walk around 5 am, but retured within 5-10 mts. saying that he is unable to do it. He felt pathetic and even cried wondering what might be the problem. ... He had asked if it has got anything to with the blocks to which the doc had replied negative and suggested for Doppler and this report also showed that there is no problem.
The question you should ask is, who are you going to believe, the doctor who said that there is no problem; or do you believe the warning from your father's body that there is something seriously wrong? Some doctors are very good at diagnosing problems, but, unfortunately, there are many doctors who are not very good at diagnosing health problems.

One thing that you know for sure... if the body is not getting sufficient blood supply, due to blockages, then the body will not be able to tolerate physical activity.

Not an easy decision is it?

Best of luck and health to both you and your father!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-06-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Your father has serious heart disease and is at high risk of heart attack or worse.
The LAD is nicknamed 'the widowmaker' for obvious reasons.

I had 2 90% blockages in the LAD (Left Anterior Descending) and 1 70% in the RCA (Right Coronary Artery).
I had CABGx3 in Oct 2009 and feel great now.

I would suggest that your father have this problem rectified asap.

Good Luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
(male)

snkartha HB User

Hi Machaon,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

My dad had visited the doc who had performed the Angiogram and had asked the opinion on why there is tiredness on his legs. This doc is very good and has a very good reputatation in the industry. It was this doc who had asked my dad to go in for the surgery as his heart condition is very good. When the doppler report came up normal, our doc gave my father painkillers for 3 days and said that it should be ok. It was at this time he also said that the blocks are in no way connected to this. But, what my dad did not quesiton was why there should be tiredness on the legs, if there is no connection with the blocks and all the tests have shown good.

I have also come across forums where I see similar experiences from other people and some of them have stated that there is no speciric reason but that the pain goes away in a couple of months or so.

I spoke to my dad today on how the Angiogram went in May 2. He said that after the process, when they pulled out the sheath, the bleeding did not stop immediately. So, they pressed on that spot for more than 10 mts. Thereafter the whole area was bandaged very tight and he was moved to the room. I dont know if this is the reason for his pain too...

The best thing I will ask my dad to do is visit our doc again and ask him these questions. We know the doc very well and he is a friend of our neighbour.

Thanks

Closed Thread