It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

onesweetworld HB User
Rapid heart rate with little or no exertion and dizziness when climbing stairs

I had three episodes of palpitations back in May and saw a cardiologist in early June who performed an EKG and stress test. He determined that I have a trace of mitral valve prolapse. I wore a halter monitor for ten days and the doctor didn't see anything concerning other than that I have occasional tachycardia for which he couldn't offer an explanation.

My resting heart rate is in the high 90's to lower 100's and it speeds up to 130 just by walking around. It will go up to at least 150 if I climb two flights of stairs, and 170 if I jog for one minute. It also increases to at least 130 if I'm walking or more if I'm walking while carrying heavy objects, such as groceries. If I'm climbing stairs while carrying heavy objects, I have severe chest pain accompanied by tachycardia. When I reach the top of a flight of stairs, Iím extremely dizzy and sometimes feel like Iím going to pass out. The same happens if I stand up after sitting for awhile. Iíve also been having intermittent low grade fever coupled with muscle pain and extreme fatigue, but I don't know if those symptoms are related.

My blood tests have come back normal except for slightly elevated CRP levels. I saw a pulmonologist, who found no problem with my lungs but after walking up two flights of stairs with me and seeing my pulse level increase and my oxygen saturation decrease on the pulse oximeter, suggested I go for a cardiopulmonary stress test.

Iím 24, female, and weigh about 128 pounds. I was going to the gym three times a week up until two months ago when I started having the palpitations. I started an aerobics regimen at home two weeks ago. I also walk as much as I can and eat healthy. I used to smoke every once in awhile but havenít in over two months. The last two times I got my blood pressure checked, it was low.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms or has a similar story to share? Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #2
(male)

goodguy85 HB User
Re: Rapid heart rate with little or no exertion and dizziness when climbing stairs

I'm very out of shape, but my heart rate is EXACTLY like yours when walking up stairs or bringing in heavy objects. My heart rate sky rockets when I jog for 1 min, or power walk out side. The only difference is mine is usually around 60 when resting if I haven't done much that day, but if I work out or I'm really active, my resting heart rate is around 80-90. And on those days It seems like my heart rate when walking or when I'm psyical is up around 125-130.

I think I'm just super out of shape but recently I started eating better, quit smoking, and I've lost 20 lbs in 2 months. But I still have a crazy fast heart rate when active. I'm looking to try and do something about that. Hopefully it isn't to late. I'm only 26.

Last edited by goodguy85; 08-02-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Rapid heart rate with little or no exertion and dizziness when climbing stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesweetworld View Post
Has anyone experienced these symptoms or has a similar story to share? Thanks so much!
Hi I will share the fact that several other people on these health boards have a history of working in the gymn and heart valve prolapse. I would certainly stop the gymn and take nice walks outside in the park in the sunshine and fresh air looking at beautiful flowers. If this condition is present they don't suggest carrying heavy weights. I would carry to tolerance. One could lessen the amount of things in any one bag and carry less weight. One could rest between trips perhaps leaving some of the non-perishable things in the car until last unless they use the bus, then of course they might leave it at the bottom of the stairs with a friend or trusted person.
The intrabdominal pressures squish the blood up the wrong direction and the valves are thin, they are not the same as big heavy muscles.

Closed Thread