It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
(male)

ridesafely HB User
Atrial Fibrillation

I went to the local fire house to get my BP taken and they found a heart beat of 160 at rest and irregular. Got a ride to emergencey in the nice red truck. So now I am on blood thinner and a pulse lowering drug. The heart was not dammaged, it was just getting a bad electrical signal. Now I have the breath problem. Seems like when the breath gets held then I have to take 5 or 6 breaths to catch up. This is a constant. Doc told me this is the body trying to keep the heart in check. He can explain this better than I can. So this is just the beginning of a new life for me. Looking forward to the no caffine headaches to come.

Just a little scared here people, really of the unknown. They told me at the hospital I just missed a stroke and was very fortunate. I'm not looking for any medical answers here, just looking for people with the same feelings maybe that I have.

Thanks
Randy

Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
(male)

Fredngai HB User
Re: Atrial Fibrillation

I was also diagnosed with AF more than 10 years ago. Yes, I know how you feel. Very scary when the heart beats very quickly. Now, I do have quick heart beats from time to time. But my doctor told me that AF will not kill me. As long as I continue to take the medicines, I should be safe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
(female)

zzoe HB User

I do Randy....I have had this since 2004. Does it bother you when asleep, awake, or all the time? I cannot take the blood thinner for mine as I have a platelet problem. Are you on any meds? I hope you get better soon...

Old 09-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
(male)

ceeJay HB User

AF is very scary. Was having episode for four hours at work four months ago and went to the fire department to find out my heart was in afib and my pulse was irregular at 200 beats per minute. 27 years old, 215 63" and have high blood pressure that is pretty well controlled but tends to spike up sometimes. Had one other episode a few weeks ago but only 10 minutes instead of 4 hours. Does everyone take meds here for their afib. Doc told me to only take it if the heart beats fast but said to be careful cause it could drop the blood pressure too low. I take 20 mg of Lisionopril for the pressure and haven't taken the afib medicine yet cause i am afraid my pressure will drop too low. any input will help.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
(female)

hearttrouble HB User

i was diagnosed with a fib 2 and a half years ago but have had trouble getting proper treatment because I am bipolar. i am so fed up with "you have a fib BUT" i've gone through several cardiologist and have now decided to not look for another one. do you know of anyone that could give me a straight answer? i've been told the holes in my heart can cause bipolar disorder due to lack of oxygen.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
(female)

zzoe HB User

Ask to wear an event monitor for a month. It will confirm A Bib if you havn't shown it exactly yet. It also will tell you when you are in it and not. Small to wear and just a button to push when you feel a bit odd. Worth a try.....
Don't give up.....also,it doesn't mean that you don't have more than one thing wrong with you. The Bi Polar has nothing to do with A Fib that I have heard of...
Don't despair, I know what is is like to go through a fib and not always be able to control it..

Old 10-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
(female)

hearttrouble HB User

i have worn the event monitor twice for a month. the first time it showed a fib and the second time it didn't. my nurse practitioner told me it may have gone away on its own. the research i've done says that rarely happens. the a fib has been caught on ekgs and monitors while i was in the er but no one will do anything about it. like i said it's always the same reply--"you're bipolar". i've decided not to look for another cardiologist because i'm so tired of the run around. i'm on my own until something major happens and then i have a whole lot of doctors to call and tell them to find a lawyer. i stay busy with fundraising for autism speaks and am my oldest son's guardian which keeps me extremely busy so it's not like i sit and think about the a fib all the time. only when my heart starts fluttering and i feel like i'm being strangled.

Last edited by mod85; 10-07-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
(female)

zzoe HB User

I am so sorry, it is frustrating. It is not gone, just hiding for now and has it's own agenda. I have a different pattern of it. Had it seven years, and my heart is sound, it is the A Fib that is erratic. I have it almost every night while sleeping as I stated before, which is unnerving and scary. I do not have it in the daytime. However, it is changing a bit and I understand your frustration with Doctors. Did you ask what type of A Fib they found??? Hang in there, and try not to be mad!!

Last edited by mod85; 10-07-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

You were very lucky to have been at the right place at the right time. Bp was way up there, but you got help in time. It might have gone into stroke. The blood thinner I have for aortic valve replacement, is warafin(coumadin). What do they have you on? Just curious. Have a great day and hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
(female)

zzoe HB User
Smile Re: Atrial Fibrillation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosier View Post
You were very lucky to have been at the right place at the right time. Bp was way up there, but you got help in time. It might have gone into stroke. The blood thinner I have for aortic valve replacement, is warafin(coumadin). What do they have you on? Just curious. Have a great day and hugs for today.
Hi
I am not on a blood thinner. I have paroxysimal lone a fib. (not sure I spelled that right) I have never been in A Fib longer than about one hour. I know all about the stroke risks and it depends on your CHAD score. That is a tool they use for determining your risk. My chad score is low. I cannot take a blood thinner as I have a platelet problem and could possibly bleed to death. So at this moment NO COUMADIN. They say my chance of stroke is very small %.....anyway, I am pretty educated on it. However, risks increase with age....it is hard to have it during sleep hours.

Closed Thread