It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
My enlarged, stretched out heart (CHF) is rapidly getting better.

I was first diagnosed with Heart Failure back in January 1987 in the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami. That was the beginning of a real nightmare. I did not really understand what it meant and I had unpleasant reactions to the medications. I found it very difficult to function due to the medications and due to the heart disease. No one told me what to expect. No one told me about nasty, unpleasant medication side effects. No one told me that my Heart Failure was going to worsen as I aged. No one told me that my metabolism was going to have problems with handling calories and that I could expect to become diabetic. No one told me that Heart Disease can negatively effect my metabolism, resulting in a dysfunctional metabolism for which common ordinary household items could worsen my heart failure and health.

From 1987 through 2003 my heart failure and health continued to get progressively worse. I was getting weaker. I was having increased breathing problems and could no longer recline. I had to sit up to watch tv or to sleep. My heartbeat was becoming more erratic. My ankles, feet and legs were swelling. I was becoming Diabetic and my blood pressure was getting higher and higher. My symptoms would worsen when I came into contact with normal everyday household items. I started removing things from my home that were making me sick. I would guess that these increased reactions to normal household items were a byproduct of worsening heart failure and a worsening dysfunctional metabolism. I would also guess that these same health problems relate to other diseases than just Heart Failure.

My health started to improve as I started on a healthier diet, but it wasn't until 2005 when my health really started to get better. I went on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance; and I posted about it on HealthBoards, under the title: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? (Direct Link: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229. I had no idea, back then, that Heart Failure prevents the body from processing calories and that a heart failure patient MUST limit calories.

Fast forward to today. I am exercising daily doing many pushups, weight lifting curls and lifts, working out on a stepper and stationary bike and doing one hour per day power walk. I am able to eat much more than I used to without any effect on my blood sugar. I am able to do very strenuous exercise without any breathing problems. My blood pressure is at a healthy level no matter when I take it, morning, noon or night. I am close to 70, almost 25 years after initially being diagnosed with Heart Failure.

Just posting to show that Heart Failure is not a death sentence and that it does not have get get progressively worse.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

The following user gives a hug of support to Machaon:
Ashley990 (10-30-2011)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Ashley990 (10-30-2011), Billyc33 (10-23-2012), flowergirl2day (01-20-2012), sjb (03-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: My enlarged, stretched out heart (CHF) is rapidly getting better.

I am really soooo happy to hear about your progress. From all the posts I have read from you..you have definately done your homework and have worked EXTRA hard to not let your illness defeat you.

Your a true inspiration to many on this board. Congrats. and sorry, but think I'm going to beat you to the 70 mark in a month.... Congrats. again and may you have MANY more great years, you earned it.

All my best...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
Machaon (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I am really soooo happy to hear about your progress.
Thanks! That's very nice of you to say!

Quote:
From all the posts I have read from you..you have definitely done your homework and have worked EXTRA hard to not let your illness defeat you.
Believe it or not, I am still in the learning process. I first learned that, with Heart Failure, your metabolism cannot handle too many calories. That is why most people with Heart Failure ultimately develop Diabetes and also various problems with organs, glands and nerves. Doctors and Cardiologists do not say anything about this relationship between Heart Failure and Diabetes, but this relationship is documented thoroughly in medical publications on the net. So...... after my condition worsened and I thought that I was dying, and my Cardiologist couldn't help me, I finally got on the road to recovery because of information that I found from very helpful members on HealthBoards. I learned that I was Insulin Resistant (Pre-Diabetic). I went on a very low calorie, low carb, quality, balanced diet, and stated to improve!

One thing that is great about HealthBoards is that my entire journey towards recovery from Heart Failure is documented here on HealthBoards, allowing me to go back and revisit my mistakes and my solutions...... what worked and what didn't work in my mistake-prone journey back from the misery of Heart Failure and Insulin Resistance.

I have also learned that a few of my nasty health problems, which I thought had maybe caused my Heart Failure to get worse, got much better as my heart strengthened and rebuilt. For instance, contact with Leather products, or news print, among many other things, would cause breathing problems, drive my blood pressure up and cause all kinds of palpitations, tachycardias and other heartbeat problems, all of which caused unhealthy stress to my already weakened heart. Not any more!!!

Two years ago, my Echo showed a thickening of my left ventricle wall and heart septum. Last year my Echo showed NO thickening there, and since then my health and my symptoms have gotten much better.! I am soooooo very happy and excited.

I am now trying to talk my Cardiologist into allowing me to have another Echo, so that I can see if there have been any improvements in my leaky heart valves or enlarged atria. It has been a year since my last one, and my health has improved over the past year in leaps and bounds! Surely, the improvement in my health has got to show up on an Echocardiogram, right?!

Quote:
Your a true inspiration to many on this board. Congrats.
You have no idea how much your kind words mean to me. You are a long time veteran of HealthBoards and have constantly offered support for others and have NEVER given an unkind word. Your encouragement is much appreciated. Thanks!

Quote:
... and sorry, but think I'm going to beat you to the 70 mark in a month.... Congrats. again and may you have MANY more great years, you earned it.

All my best...JJ....
I really don't mind you beating me to 70. Hmmmm!? For quite a while I never thought that I would make it to 70. I now am much more optimistic. However...... age 70 is going to be my age 39. 70 is it! After I hit 70, it is going to stay at 70 from then on.

I wish you the best of health and the best of good luck and fortune, and many more "good" years to come. Take care..............

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-07-2011 at 02:16 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
kenjsuzuki (09-13-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I only speak the truth. Many times I don't reply to your posts as I really don't have much to ad but I do read them. I have read through your "journey" on a few of the boards like BP etc. and it inspires me to NOT let my ailments get me down, plus your stuff is very informative.

Let's be honest, many folks in your situation might just sit around and feel sorry for themselves, but not you. I'm sure your entire ordeal was a wicked blow and frustrated the hell out of you at times but you decided to fight back and God bless you..you did a great job...

I remember when you and Vikying (sp.?) helped me understand things when hubby had his heart attack in Nov. of 2010. You both were there for any questions I did have and stuff like that is much appreciated by me. Yes I have been around here since Nov. of 2000 due to problems with statins and met up with many great folks who got me to understand the dangers of my side effects and how to get my numbers down naturally. Things like that you never forget so if I feel I can help someone I do my best. I'm not always right, but hey, I try.

As far as the 70 thing, I was 39 for so many years it was a VERY long running joke and last year I admitted to being 40... Definately going to be with you on the 70 for the rest of my life thing..no more B-days after this unless I hit 100....

Take care my friend and as I said before, your a true inspiration to many of us and I truly wish you MANY years of good Dr. reports and still improving your health. Remember...70 forever....

Enjoy the rest of your evening...JJ...

Machaon (08-08-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
... I am now trying to talk my Cardiologist into allowing me to have another Echo, so that I can see if there have been any improvements in my leaky heart valves or enlarged atria. It has been a year since my last one, and my health has improved over the past year in leaps and bounds! Surely, the improvement in my health has got to show up on an Echocardiogram, right?!
I had an EchoCardiogram plus a series of blood tests. I'll find out the Echo results next Tuesday. However... the blood test results were posted on the Internet yesterday by the Cleveland Clinic, and the results were surprisingly good. Much better than I expected.

I have been snacking on popcorn, chocolate, chocolate icecream, chocolate icecream bars, crunchy granola fiber bars and chocolate granola fiber bars; and I've added a Tilapia Fish Filet to my normal daily diet. I have noticed an increase in my blood sugar since increasing my snacking, but my glucose is still at an acceptable level, such as a Fasting Blood Sugar lower than 100. I am hoping that it stays that way. My blood pressure is also ALWAYS at a healthy level, 24 hours per day.

I have also increased my daily exercise load to make up for the additional snacking.

Currently I am doing a minimum of 600 steppers, one hour power walk, 300 pushups, 200 weight curls, 140 weight lifts per day.

My Hemoglobin A1C came in at 5.3. The past three readings were 5.0 4.8 and 5.2. The normal range for A1C is 4.5% to 5.9%, so I am still OK. I'll have to watch this and my blood sugar to make sure that my extra snacking doesn't start to cause any problems.

My TSH came in at 2.27. The normal range is .27 to 4.2, so this also looks healthy.

Total Cholesterol came in at 189. Triglycerides at 134. HDL at 63. LDL at 99. Ratio at 3.0.

Complete Blood Count all came at reasonable levels, some a little high, some a little low, but all at healthy levels for someone, after 25 years of Heart Failure, approaching his 70th year of life.

The most exciting result was the NT Pro BNP. The normal range for this is 0-125 pg/ml. Mine was 617.3 which is not a good reading for a healthy dude and could be at a worrying level. But, my last NT PRO BNP result was 985.9 and the prior result was 1008. That could be showing a significant improvement in my Heart Failure! I am feeling so much better, and doing so much better that I expect the EchoCardiogram to show a reduction in my size of my heart and possibly an improvement in my heart valves. So...... I am anxiously waiting for the results of my Echo, next Tuesday.

I post this for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I post this info because I am excited by the improvements in my health. Back in 2003-2004 I thought that I was dying. I was much weaker. My legs, ankles and feet were swollen. I could not recline either to watch TV or to sleep. I had constant breathing problems. My heart was jumping all over my chest most of the time. My blood pressure was soaring. My blood sugar was at unhealthy levels. My Cholesterol and Triglycerides were at unhealthy levels. NOT ANY MORE!!!

I also post this because I really feel that someone with Heart Failure, or many other significant diseases can greatly improve their own health through a healthy diet, significant appropriate exercise, taking the most effective medication and by avoiding common, ordinary things that are surprisingly unhealthy.

I have now been on 50mg Coreg and 10mg Quinapril for 320 days; and .125mg of Digoxin for 347 days.

I LOVE Coreg and it LOVES me!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 09-02-2011 at 06:38 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
texasjade (01-08-2012)
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds like all your very hard work at becoming more healthy is definately paying off. For someone who was in such bad shape in 2003 you sure have made great progress. I am sure other folks who have heart issues will read this and try their hardest to make improvements like you did.

As far as the snacking I guess we all tend to stray a bit at times, after all we are human. I got my test results back yesterday and had already told the Dr. not to expect a good cholesterol reading as I have been major bad the past few months. Although the numbers were a bit over the limits she just told me to get back on track and stop being bad...

I'm sure you were excited to see such a good report for yourself and I'm happy for you. As I told you before, I don't always reply to all your posts but do admire you for all your hard work and not letting your health problems get you down.

Keep up the great work my friend, and God bless..JJ..

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
Machaon (08-30-2011)
Machaon (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Sounds like all your very hard work at becoming more healthy is definately paying off. For someone who was in such bad shape in 2003 you sure have made great progress.
I always have said that people are not going to make necessary changes to their lifestyle or diet unless the level of pain and suffering gets to be too much to take. I was diagnosed with Heart Failure in 1987 at Mount Sinai Medical Center down in Miami Beach. 16 years later, in 2003, my health had deteriorated so much I had to do something. Back then, I really didn't know what to do. I just figured that my Heart Failure was going to kill me, and that I had limited time to live.

Fortunately the Internet, including HealthBoards, was extremely helpful in guiding me back to better health, especially since my doctors seemed to be quite ineffective and almost useless!

Quote:
I am sure other folks who have heart issues will read this and try their hardest to make improvements like you did.
I wonder about this. Are my postings about Diet, and Exercise, and avoiding irritants, and using the most effective medications for almost any health problem; of help to anyone out there? Who knows? But it doesn't hurt anything to keep posting, does it?!

Quote:
As far as the snacking I guess we all tend to stray a bit at times, after all we are human.
I am retired, and due to my physical restrictions, I have a lot of time on my hands. I think about snacking and food almost all the time! I am worried that if I stray too much, my blood sugar will go back into an unhealthy range, I will once again become Insulin Resistant and my heart and health will stop getting better.

Quote:
I got my test results back yesterday and had already told the Dr. not to expect a good cholesterol reading as I have been major bad the past few months. Although the numbers were a bit over the limits she just told me to get back on track and stop being bad...
Stop being bad? Easier said than done!

I am glad that your numbers were just a bit over the limits. Nice going! You had been "major bad" and yet were able to keep your numbers down to acceptable levels. That must've made you feel good! You could have your cake and eat it too!

Quote:
I'm sure you were excited to see such a good report for yourself and I'm happy for you.
Thanks!

Quote:
As I told you before, I don't always reply to all your posts ...
That just means that you are sane and wise!

Quote:
... but do admire you for all your hard work and not letting your health problems get you down.
I equate my hard work with being out in the ocean, treading water to stay alive. I have no other choice but to keep my head above water.

Quote:
Keep up the great work my friend, and God bless..JJ..
Same back to you!

Well..... tis almost 12:30pm. It's time for our second 30 minute power walk to music. Take care, have a nice day, and thanks for your post!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 08-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your absolutely right. When people are healthy they totally forget to eat right and exercise and sometimes it takes a major health scare to wake them up. Hubby and I basically ate as well as we felt we needed to etc. but as we get older and are having health issues we are much more careful. Of course we do stray sometimes but hey, such is life.... Like our Drs. tell us, they never had to really get on our cases as we did the best we could but sometimes that isn't always enough.

I just admire your way of dealing with your issues as you decided to research what the best things to do were for you and you stuck to your guns and did them. Many folks will complain and yet instead of trying to help themselves they just go into a funk or something and sometimes just get worse.

Yup, I have to be good now or my Dr. will be scolding me... I really like her a lot as she is always there for me and doesn't get on my case much unless she thinks it is absolutely necessary and always works with me, which is great. She even works with any other Drs. I see and they all say she is one of the best around. She even now has a new PA and even she is very nice to go to, so that really helps.

Hope you enjoyed your power walk. We just did some shopping and walking around as well. Wish I could exercise a bit more like I use to but lately the old back has been acting up so I do the best I can. Man this getting old stuff really sucks. Don't forget, I'll probably hit 70 before you..17 more days...YIKES!

Now that I have depressed myself (only kidding) I think I'll go have a nice glass of iced tea. Enjoy the rest of your day and stay well my friend....JJ....

Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Machaon!

Quote:
my doctors seemed to be quite ineffective and almost useless!

I think that communication among doctors (rather, a lack of communication).....and their unwillingness to explain things to patients due to time restrictions and overbooking have a huge impact on our trust in receiving top-quality care. This is why we have to be proactive in helping manage our health.

Quote:
Are my postings about Diet, and Exercise, and avoiding irritants, and using the most effective medications for almost any health problem; of help to anyone out there?
I can't speak for others, Machaon, but I find your posts extremely helpful. So.....there is your answer!!! Keep up the good work!

Quote:
I equate my hard work with being out in the ocean, treading water to stay alive. I have no other choice but to keep my head above water.
The bottom line is that nothing will come to us if we are not willing to work hard for it. We make our choices. We decide. We get what we put in.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
I had an EchoCardiogram plus a series of blood tests. I'll find out the Echo results next Tuesday. ... I am feeling so much better, and doing so much better that I expect the EchoCardiogram to show a reduction in my size of my heart and possibly an improvement in my heart valves. So...... I am anxiously waiting for the results of my Echo, next Tuesday.
I got my Echo results Tuesday morning, Sept 6. At first I was disappointed. I had expected WOW results because my health has improved quite a bit in the past year. A year ago, I had to wait about 6 minutes in between exercises, or suffer breathing problems and a tight chest that sometimes lasted for hours. I also just feel better and have more energy and can eat much more!

I did not get a WOW from looking at the Echo summary. It's funny how our expectations change. Just a couple of months ago, I just wanted the echo to show that my heart failure wasn't worsening. Now I expected a WOW??? Now I really expected it to show that somehow, someway, my heart failure was totally better!? Oh well......

I've taken several days to research the Echo results on the net. The terms are confusing, and I know very little about interpretting Echo results, so it took some time to understand the results. Following are the more interesting results from the Echo, and the difference between this year and last year's echo. I do realize that the measurements are estimated and the accuracy depends upon the skills of the echo technician. All in all, the EchoCardiogram shows a significant improvement in my heart and in the functioning of my heart!
  • Fractional Shortening (FS): 35% improvement, now within normal range.
    FS is the ratio of the size of the Left Ventricle before and after pumping, thusly measuring the pumping function of the heart
  • Interventricular Septum (IVS) Diastolic Thickness: No Change, still thicker than normal.
    A disappointment, but at least the IVS hasn't gotten worse
  • Left Ventrical Posterior Wall (LVPW) Diastolic Thickness: 25% improvement, now within normal limits
    This was a dramatic improvement in my all important Ventricle. It helps to explain why I am feeling better and have less breathing difficulties.
  • Left Ventrical (LV) Ejection Fraction - Cube Method: 20% improvement.
    Another sign that my heart and heart function has improved!
  • Left Ventrical (LV) Ejection Fraction - M-Mode Method: No change.
  • Left Atrium: 9% increase in measured size.
    This was not what I had hoped for. My wish when I had the echo was that it would show a reduction in my very enlarged left atrium. I was really disappointed to see that the left atrium was larger than a year ago.
  • Right Atrium: 12% decrease in measured size.
    This was unexpected. The Right Atrium holds the blood, that comes from the body, so that it can be pumped into the lungs. A damaged right atrium causes blood to back up into the lungs, causing breathing difficulties. So..... an improvement in the right atrium might further explain the significant reduction in my breathing difficulties, especially during or after physical exercises.
  • Tricuspid Valve: Slight improvement in function.
  • Aortic Valve: Slight improvement in function.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 09-14-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Boy do you sound like me. Every time I think oh joy my blood work reports are going to be really good they are usually a bit worse. This time I told Dr. to expect it to stink as I was a BAD GIRL and yet it was only a tad over. Ya can't win!

Well maybe you didn't get a WOW but there sure was a lot of improvement even if it wasn't huge. Like I've told you before, you work VERY hard at keeping that old heart and body going and it is showing. Although your disappointed in no wow, you still did A-OK! If you didn't work so hard can you imagine the report???..... You just keep on doing what your doing and you will probably be around for another 50 years.

All my very best to you and enjoy...JJ....

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
A year ago, I had to wait about 6 minutes in between exercises, or suffer breathing problems and a tight chest that sometimes lasted for hours.
How did you overcome your breathing difficulties? Did they gradually lessen as your body grew stronger and healthier?

It is really good to be able to read your own interpretation of your echocardiogram results. I have just had mine done (on the 7th) and am waiting for the results. As you say, no change from the previous one would be fine! Of course, there can be improvements as well. Are they possible without a lot of hard work and implementing very strict dietary measures?

I find your post very interesting and helpful. I have a feeling I will be coming back to it. Thank you for sharing some of your research here!

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-12-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
How did you overcome your breathing difficulties?
It wasn't easy. I've got several different health problems that cause me to suffer from labored or difficult or uncomfortable breathing.
  • I've got Asthma. I've avoided Asthmatic breathing difficulties by avoiding a variety of different allergens, such as dust and newsprint and cigarette smoke, etc, and by taking Flovent daily.

My Asthma also improved after a series of experimental at-home SLIT treatments.
  • I've got Heart Failure. I avoided heart-related breathing problems by being careful not to strain my heart during physical work or activities; and by not doing anything that puts a strain on my heart.
  • I've got Insulin Resistance. I avoid blood sugar related breathing problems by significantly limiting the carbs and the types of carbs I eat.
After many frustrating, confusing years, I've finally learned how to distinguish between which health problem(s) causes my breathing difficulties, in most cases. For a long time, I was going nuts trying to figure out what was cause my breathing difficulties, and what to do to stop or prevent them. Plus, I HATE labored or difficult breathing. It drives me up a wall! So I really hope that you and your doctors can find a solution to your breathing diffculties, and soon!

Quote:
Did they gradually lessen as your body grew stronger and healthier?
All of my health problems have gotten better since my body and my metabolism has gotten stronger and healthier. Almost every day I find out that something that used to cause me unpleasant symptoms, such as dyspnea, no longer does.

Quote:
It is really good to be able to read your own interpretation of your echocardiogram results.
When we suffer from serious illness we need someone in our corner who is going to give us the most helpful, useful information possible. The Echo provides very important information. But, our health specialists NEVER take enough time to explain the results and to compare the past results with the current results.

I have a sickly, diseased heart, that fortunately is getting better. I want to know the EXACT condition of my heart and I want to know if I am getting better or worse, and to what extent! Why is that? It's because I want to know if the actions and changes taken by my Cardiologist and by myself are working.

Anyone who thinks that they can just rely on their doctor(s) to get them well, is playing with only half a deck.

Quote:
I have just had mine done (on the 7th) and am waiting for the results. As you say, no change from the previous one would be fine!
I hope that you get some promising and helpful results.

If you feel that it is appropriate, post your echo results on HealthBoards so your friends and associates here can comment.

Why are they doing the echo?

Quote:
Of course, there can be improvements as well. Are they possible without a lot of hard work and implementing very strict dietary measures?
Over the past 25 years of suffering from Heart Failure, Insulin Resistance, Chronic High Blood Pressure and Permanent Atrial Fibrillation, I have learned that there are four critical steps that MUST be taken correctly to combat almost any health problem. Diet, Exercise, Taking the most effective medication(s) and avoiding irritants that negatively effect health.

All four of these steps are critical. Why is that? Our most deadly and debilitating enemy is our own body hormones. Our own 300+ extremely helpful and necessary hormones become poison when out of balance in our bodies. Over-produced hormones will slowly rot out every organ, gland, nerve ending, bone and muscle in our body. In order to keep our 300+ hormones in the most achievable balance, we need a diet which promotes a healthy metabolism; we need to exercise (exercise has an amazing healing/balancing effect on our metabolism); we need to avoid unhealthy irritants which causes hormonal imbalances; and we need to take the most effective medications to attempt to correct unbalanced metabolisms. Our doctors don't always prescribe the most effective medications, and sometimes prescribe the wrong medications!

Now..... if we assume that I am wrong about the dangers of an unbalanced metabolism, why is it that most medications made today try to suppress, or block or inhibit excess hormones?

Quote:
I find your post very interesting and helpful. I have a feeling I will be coming back to it. Thank you for sharing some of your research here!
Thank you for commenting. Over the years I have always enjoyed your posts and your contributions and your research.

Best of luck with that Echo, and I wish you good health and good luck!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 09-15-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I avoided heart-related breathing problems by being careful not to strain my heart during physical work or activities; and by not doing anything that puts a strain on my heart.
Walking up the stairs or a steeper slope; digging a hole for a potted plant, walking a short distance to get to the tools and supplies ...each one of these activities requires a lot of energy and can leave one gasping for breath and physically ill - enough to require a rest period on the couch. This worsens in hot weather , for some reason. Is that why people with certain illnesses are advised to stay indoors during heat waves or warm weather?

Quote:
I avoid blood sugar related breathing problems by significantly limiting the carbs and the types of carbs I eat

I did not know one could have breathing problems from blood sugar abnormalities! I love carbs. Thanks for this tip- I will have to research it and make some adjustments.

Quote:
After many frustrating, confusing years, I've finally learned how to distinguish between which health problem(s) causes my breathing difficulties, in most cases. For a long time, I was going nuts trying to figure out what was cause my breathing difficulties, and what to do to stop or prevent them. Plus, I HATE labored or difficult breathing. It drives me up a wall! So I really hope that you and your doctors can find a solution to your breathing diffculties, and soon!
Machaon, I can tell you that of all of my side effects of medication or symptoms of illness, breathing difficulties are the worst one for me. There is nothing as bad as when you cannot breathe well enough to lift your arm to weed in the garden, or walk three steps without resting. When you can't walk from your parked car to the restaurant a short distance away, without stopping several times to catch your breath. Or to walk up the five steps to the medical clinic to your appointment, having to stop on step number 3. Then again on entering the clinic, (after 5 steps) so completely out of breath you have everyone eyeing you and feeling sorry for you). I have been there. Right now the shortness of breath is not as bad, but it is bad enough. Heat seems to aggravate it. I wonder why? As you know, breathing is also pretty bad at night. Shortness of breath is what I am having a problem with when it comes to exercising. I work on my feet all day and am so very tired by the time I get home I can't even move. I ache everywhere.

Quote:
All of my health problems have gotten better since my body and my metabolism has gotten stronger and healthier. Almost every day I find out that something that used to cause me unpleasant symptoms, such as dyspnea, no longer does.
I am hoping to see some of this, soon!!!!

Quote:
But, our health specialists NEVER take enough time to explain the results and to compare the past results with the current results.
They do NOT. They are too busy (and overbooked) to take the time. They do not even want to talk about the current test results, passing the buck and hoping that the ordering doctor will. As a result of my """ last follow-up with family physican""""" a note was written, an inquiry how to proceed. Not a single question (about a new, potentially serious problem that arose) I had was answered. I had to look for the answers on the internet. I have another appointment in a couple of days with absolutely no hopes or expectations of learning anything new. I will be lucky if I get the results of at least one of the tests I had within the last two weeks, which include an echocardiogram.

In 2008, the echo showed LVH - LV mass index estimated at 128 (upper normal 100) I also had some mitral regurgitation with some mitral calcification.Systolic function was estimated at 70%. i have diastolic dysfunction. I have had them done since then, but this the echo I saw in my medical binder first. I do not think things have changed much.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that they can just rely on their doctor(s) to get them well, is playing with only half a deck.
I could not agree with you more. The doctors and specialists are overbooked, overworked and rely on family physicians to follow up on the lab results. Needless to say, this does not happen unless the patient is diligent and the lab results are crystal clear. I am having a difficult time with this. Too many doctors, too many tests, and no follow-ups. I find that I have to ask about every single test, without the benefit of a discussion pertaining to the test results and applicable therapy.. eg. ....we have to see what Dr. xymz says......... I feel lucky to even GET the results......I do not always.

Quote:
If you feel that it is appropriate, post your echo results on HealthBoards so your friends and associates here can comment.
Why are they doing the echo?

I experienced some problems, which I believed originated from underperfusion - ischemic issues. My arteries are clear. I have these tests done often, as I am at the highest possible risk for any cardiac or cerebral events. I have some new issues to deal with as a result of the recent tests.Hypertension has damaged my heart. I suppose this and chronic kidney disease, is the reason why these tests are done regularly. I have an aneurysm in one of the (descending) cardiac arteries. I have a disease that weakens the arterial walls, called fibromuscular dysplasia. It can cause aneurysms, arterial dissections and similar issues.

I will share the echo results and hope for some input once I have them. Thank you!!! I have an appointment for Friday, hoping my GP will have the echo results.

B
Quote:
est of luck with that Echo, and I wish you good health and good luck!

Thanks! I will share.

flowergirl

Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Walking up the stairs or a steeper slope; digging a hole for a potted plant, walking a short distance to get to the tools and supplies ...each one of these activities requires a lot of energy and can leave one gasping for breath and physically ill - enough to require a rest period on the couch.
I have had similar problems as you when my heart isn't beating well enough to keep up with my activity.

Have you had your heart function evaluated?

Quote:
This worsens in hot weather , for some reason. Is that why people with certain illnesses are advised to stay indoors during heat waves or warm weather?
The body reacts to heat by trying to cool itself down by pumping more blood to the skin. I also believe that the body considers the heat an attack, and the metabolism and/or immune systems produce extra body chemicals in defense. These extra body chemicals (hormones and cytokines) can make one feel deathly ill! The net effect is also more stress on the heart.

Quote:
I did not know one could have breathing problems from blood sugar abnormalities! I love carbs. Thanks for this tip- I will have to research it and make some adjustments.
Good luck finding any articles linking carbs/blood sugar/Insulin Resistance to breathing problems. The ONLY tie I could find was a tie between Metabolic Syndrome and Breathing Problems.

All I know is what happens to me if I eat too many carbs, especially at night. However..... now that my health is much better and Insulin Resistance is no longer a major problem for me, I can consume a lot more carbs than I used to, without any breathing problems or other nasty symptoms.

Hmmm!? Gots to run out to Publix and pick up my salads stuff. I'll finish my response at a later time.

In the meantime, I hope that you are having a good and enjoyable day!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread