It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

tatum46 HB User
Heart pressure

Hi, I am a 48 year old female and for the past maybe two years and counting... when ever I lay on my leftside I feel like my heart is being squeezed. I feel so much pressure on my heart as if there is an elephant sitting on it. I can't even lay on my left for a few seconds without getting that horrible feeling. Does any body else get this? I can't seem to find any answers anywhere. I have ekg and echo tests done and all is normal. Help please????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Heart pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatum46 View Post
Hi, I am a 48 year old female and for the past maybe two years and counting... when ever I lay on my leftside I feel like my heart is being squeezed. I feel so much pressure on my heart as if there is an elephant sitting on it. I can't even lay on my left for a few seconds without getting that horrible feeling. Does any body else get this? I can't seem to find any answers anywhere.
I've had Heart Failure for 25 years. As my heart failure worsened, and my heart valves were getting more problematic, I had more problems lying on either my left side, my right side or my back. In fact, the worse my heart and heart valves got, the more I had to sleep sitting up. During those dark days, I got much different symptoms when lying on my right side, versus lying on my left side, versus lying on my back.

Now that my heart and health are much better, and I feel great, I can sleep on either my right side, left side or back without any problems.

Quote:
I have ekg and echo tests done and all is normal. Help please????
Reading, evaluating and doing the measurement an Echocardiogram takes a very high level of skill, so getting reliable results from an Echo depends upon the training and skill of your Echo technician and Cardiologist.

That said, I would guess that if there were something significantly wrong with your heart it would clearly show up during the Echo, even to a poorly trained technician.

So..... IMHO, it would seem that your problems with lying on your left side have little to do with my past heart disease problems. I just wanted to chime in here in response to your post even if my comments do not have too much to do with your problems with lying on your left side.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
tatum46 (08-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hello tatum
Well let's see....I have PACs and occasionally had some SVTs...other than that my heart has a slight leak from the mitral valve...... also sometimes I've had a heart murmur(it comes and goes,but the dr. said that can happen).Just wanted to give you a bit of my heart history.

Okay I used to not be able to lay on my left side(when I had the heart murmor),but now I can.When I'd lay on the left it felt like my heart was struggling to beat.Now it seems like I can lay on the left or right or my back,but I do keep my back elevated with pillows and that works perfectly for me.

Do you have any tummy troubles?I'm asking you,because I have undiagnosed health problems concerning my stomach that effects my heart.If I lean forward and put pressure on my stomach I get that feeling like my heart is being squeezed and it is awful(maybe similair to what you feel when you lay on your left side?).It doesn't cause pain...just a pressure which makes my heart fell like it is being squeezed...it really is scary!).Sometimes I forget to be careful and not bend forward,but when it does happen I quickly straighten up and the feeling goes away....but it actually feels like I'm going to die,you know?

I have noticed that I seem to feel better when I remember to keep hydrated and also include magnesium in my diet(I like strawberries which have mag. in them and also potassium and phosphorous and stramberries are said to be a natural stress reliever!).

What makes sense to me is that the bowels are on the left side so maybe there is a connection since the heart is there too.So I also have asthma which makes it hard for me with the heart problems,stomach...etc......

hope you find some answers...feel better....take care

scout316

The Following User Says Thank You to scout316 For This Useful Post:
tatum46 (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
(female)

tatum46 HB User

Scout316, thank you so much for taking the time. I actually do have tummy problems.. I was recently diagnosed with h-pylori, which is a bacterial infection you get from contaminated food and it causes severe acid reflux. If untreated causes ulcers in the stomach.
And the sensation you describe with pressure is so familiar, if I wear anything slightly tight around my stomach area (right below my ribcage in the middle, maybe not directly above the stomach) I feel like my heart is struggling to beat also. It feels like it is being squeezed and it is a scary feeling.
I ended up in the emergency room last weekend, thinking I was having a heart attack.. had the classic symptoms. But thankfully all that was wrong with me was low potassium levels.

Closed Thread