It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
(male)

rosentrekker HB User
Question low max heart rate

I am a 78 year old male, 5'11',172lbs. I am an active hiker, bicyclist, skier(in season). I have had resting and stress echocardiogram recently which checked out mostly normal: mildly dilated left atrium with EF of 60%.

my resting heart rate has always been in the low 50's.

My question is related to my maximum heart rate. I have to work pretty hard just to get it above 100 and rarely get it above 120.

Could it be since my resting heart rate is low, my maximum heart rate is also correspondingly low?

are there ways to raise it other than a pacemaker, which my cardiologist mentioned but rejected as inappropriate for my situation.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: low max heart rate

Well,one of the points of exercising regularly is to lower one's heart rate. Yours seems exceptionally fine. What do you perceive to be a problem?

Last edited by Titchou; 09-01-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
(male)

rosentrekker HB User
Re: low max heart rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Well,one of the points of exercising regularly is to lower one's heart rate. Yours seems exceptionally fine. What do you perceive to be a problem?
Thanks for responding. As I pointed out, my seeming lack of obtaining a high heart rate that is puzzling me. I have also recently perceived that I run "out of steam" sooner than I used to when vigorously exercising.

I had a bout of sciatica about a year ago, which for some reason caused my blood pressure to go up, diastolic approaching 200, which I had never experienced before. My doc prescribed 30mg of nefedepine which I have taken since. My sciatica has long since gone away, and resting blood pressure is typically around 124/72 regardless whether I take the nefedepine or not. I wonder whether the medication has something to do with my inability to reach a higher heart rate.

Closed Thread