It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

marrie12 HB Usermarrie12 HB User
open heart surgery

Hi I need lots of help and information. My dad needs to have an aortic valve replacement asap but he's devloped cold like symptoms, sore throat, coughing, and wheezing, thus postpoing surgery. Does anyone have information regarding the valve surgery and the symptoms I've described? We are really worried about how to handle all this. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: open heart surgery

If your dad has any type of an infection from a cold they will not do it unless absolutely necessary. Your best bet is to speak with his Dr. and ask all the questions you need to as he/she is there to help you and also do the best thing for your dad.

When my husband had his artery cleaning last Nov. I asked tons of questions. As the Drs. told me, they like to have not only their patients informed but also the family.

Best of wishes and keep us posted...JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
marrie12 (09-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
(female)

Smile Re: open heart surgery

Thank you very much, we will do that we need to get him admitted to the hospital on Monday and hopefully from there they will evaluate and do whats best for him. We have met with the surgeon but at times it feels like we are asking too many questions so we don't really know what to do. I will let you know how it progresses along.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hon..don't think your asking too many questions. Like our cardio Dr. tells us, he is there to help so ask away. They really do like to have all of you as informed as possible.

Best of wishes for your dad and your family...JJ...

Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User
Thumbs up Re: open heart surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrie12 View Post
Thank you very much, we will do that we need to get him admitted to the hospital on Monday and hopefully from there they will evaluate and do whats best for him. We have met with the surgeon but at times it feels like we are asking too many questions so we don't really know what to do. I will let you know how it progresses along.

I am with the other post, you can never ask too many questions, knowledge is the key to everything. You may have to delay his surgery if there is least bit sign of infection. Mine was delayed two weeks. They will not operate if there is a chance of infection to into the chest, encarditis. So good luck and keep us posted. I am new here and plan to be here for some time to come.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
(female)

Thank you for your words of support. Now it's reallly getting difficult. Did you have valve replacement surgery as well? I am very new to this as well and don't know if I'm doing alright or not, sure hope so though. I appreciate your advice, tomorrow is the big day we take him in to ER to be evaluated, I will ask away and pray that figure out what is wrong with him and how to deal with it.
Thanks again,
Marrie

Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

My valve was replaced with a st judes in 2001, after the historic bad event in our american history. With the the st judes valve, you are place on blood thiners, mine in warafin, generic of coumadin. He will take time to heal from surgery, but he will feel better afterwards. Hope he clears through, but if there is the slightest infection, they will put a delay till he is better. Good luck.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
(female)

Hi again,

Turns out dad had loose teeth and they postponed the heart sugery and instead had oral surgery once there they ended up removing all his teeth and now he can't eat anything but mushed up food. Doctors sent him home now til he recovers from the oral sugery. However there seems to be a difference of opioion as to how long to wait, the dentist says 2 weeks, the surgeon wants heart surgery this Wed which would be 7 days. Also my dad is a diabetic so he heals slower. The whole family is very confused and still trying to deal with his oral sugery and the ramifications of such. He's home with Aortic stenosis and congestive heart failure. Any thoughts or ideas would be of much help.

Thank you
Marrie

Old 09-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
(female)

I am glad that they are making sure he has no infection before they open him up. Loose teeth can have infection inside and make it bad to get rid of. The waiting two weeks is when they have another opening in the surgery room to do his surgery and gives him time to heal from the teeth pull. He will be fine till then, nothing more you can do but make him feel confortable and being there when he needs you. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Closed Thread