It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

Cess HB User
Racing heart beat, please advise!

I am a almost 36 (next month) stay-at-home mom to 3 kids. Oldest is 8, has Down syndrome and Autism, 6 is typically developing and 2 1/2 year old just diagnosed with Autism. For awhile, about 8 months have been having random rapid heart beat, that goes away within a few mins. This past Friday, it happened and lasted 2 hours. I got the kids ready and dressed for school and it did not stop. I was going to go to the store but decided to go home and test it, it was 141. I called my doc and they had me come in. I did an EKG and it was normal. They want me to do a 24 hour holter monitor.
I also have an enlarged thyroid, full of nodules. Have had levels tested in May and they were normal.
I am thinking it can be a few things, 1) a heart issue, 2) thyroid, or 3) stress. I have weight loss since Jan am down 4 lbs and was down in Jan about 4. I am 5'8" and about 128.
Can I ask your thoughts on this and if anyone has similar things going on?
I think I have high stress, my 8 year old is non-verbal, g-tube, my 6 year old has a very bad attitude and we're dealing constantly with him talking back and rudeness and my 2 1/2 year old has had speech delays since she was 1 year old and we've been worried about Autism and then she has been diagnosed!
If the 24 hour holter is normal and labs are normal (I am getting thyroid, CBC and chem 14) what other heart tests are there?
I am really scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Racing heart beat, please advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cess View Post
... For awhile, about 8 months have been having random rapid heart beat, that goes away within a few mins. This past Friday, it happened and lasted 2 hours. I got the kids ready and dressed for school and it did not stop.
There are irritants and stimulants that can cause the heart to beat either rapidly or irregularly. Stimulants can be caffeine, chocolate, too much sugar or carbs, etc. Irritants can be things like cigarette smoke, pollens, allergens, pollutants, chemicals, etc.

I also realize that you are under quite a bit of stress, which can also act as a heart stimulant/irritant.

Can you relate anything that you ate or drank, or any encounter with something like cigarette smoke, or chemicals, or over the counter drugs, prior to your heart beat problems?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
(male)

sico HB User

I see your HB has doubled to 141. Presuming that your normal HB is 70 then you have the same prob that many people have. I too have this for 20 years.
My normal pulse is 65 and when this Tachycardia happens, it doubles to 130 BPM and can last from 30 minutes to 8 hours.
It is a rouge pulse in between the normal one that doubles your normal pulse.
This is not a big deal as it can be corrected with a small OP. Or live with it as I do.
But have it checked out though.
I must add that I have gotten rid of it by picking up heavy objects or pressing on the toilet or doing sit-ups.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
(female)

Cess HB User

Thank you both for the replies. Still waiting for lab results on blood and turned in my holter today. But, as I was wearing the monitor, I did not feel any episodes of rapid heart beat. Could it be happening and I am not aware of it?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cess View Post
But, as I was wearing the monitor, I did not feel any episodes of rapid heart beat. Could it be happening and I am not aware of it?
There are many, many ways that a heart can misfire. It can skip a beat. It can double beat. It can beat hard and slow or fast. It can beat soft and slow or fast. It can jump around like mine frequently does.

The heart can misfire but still pump blood very well. However, when the heart is misfiring and my heart is not pumping very well, is when it gives me cause for concern.

Sometimes your heart can jump around, pause, beat fast, beat slow, etc., and you not be aware of it, especially if you are really active and the heart's misfiring isn't too severe.

And, once again, you might consider minimizing your contact and use of caffeine, chocolate, too much sugar or carbs, cigarette smoke, pollens, allergens, pollutants, chemicals, etc.

But if the heart is misfiring and at the same time is not beating very well, in most cases the patient is well aware of it because of the nasty side effects of a heart that is not beating or functioning very well. A patient of a heart that is not functioning, or pumping very well can feel excessively tired and fatigued, sweat too much, have breathing problems, feel mentally confused, have chest pains, feel like they are going to pass out, etc.

So..... in a nutshell, if you are not aware of your heart's misfiring, and you don't feel sick or badly, then, you probably don't have any significant heart problems. You should still get it checked out, and follow your doctor's advice so that you don't develop more serious heart problems in the future.

I also realize the great amount of stress and frustration when dealing with problems concerning children, either health or behavioral. It seems that parents have everything against them these days, with all of the bad outside influences, the lack of good standards in our society, and also bad influences coming in on our TVs. I know it is easier said than done, but try to find ways to relax during the day. Stress, added to all of the other irritants and stimulants, can really negatively effect one's health.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 09-24-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
(female)

sickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB User

I'm not sure what all labs they did because sometimes dr say they're going to do a "panel" then don't include other tests that are needed. Have you had your TSH, free T3& T4 and TPO antibodies etc as well as a full electrolyte panel done that include magnesium & potassium?

Sometimes thyroid being too low or too high will cause tachycardia as well as being anemic and quite a few other imbalances. If you've lost weight and have nodules it may point to Hyperthyroidism; have you been tested/treated for it before? There's a couple of familial conditions related to Hyper also [brain fog can't remember which is which but you can google it].

I sympathize with you, my youngest son who's 10 was dx at age 2 with Autism. Each time I go to a different dr and they go through my history they tell me that's a rough road to go down and caution me about my stress levels being his primary caretaker.

It could be the holter will show some electrical abnormalities or may not pick up on them unless you're having an event. The tests are only as good as the day you're having - no symptoms may yield no answers.

From my own personal experience; it sounds like you're having PSVT episodes (Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) or an occassional rapid heart beat that can start or stop on anytime and can last for a few minutes or hours; then goes away and comes back with really no pattern.

I know it's easier said than done; but take care of yourself and try to find ways to give yourself a break and take time for you. Extended levels of anxiety & stress can cause problems with our entire bodies and may make you sick in other ways...this happened to me - my body's a train wreck of problems and damage because i didn't heed my body's warnings.

Closed Thread