It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
(male)

ferwoods HB User
Chest Pain when running on treadmill

I am fairly active, Bike to work and rollerblade a lot. When I run on a treadmill I start to get chest pain about 15 minutes into the run. If I slow down I'm able to run through this and the chest pain goes away.

I would describe it as moderate discomfort in the breast bone area near to the top of the rib cage.

I was concerned with this so went to the doctor and did an Ecocardiogram Stress Test where I took my heart rate up to 190BPM and the results were normal.

Is there anything other than cardio that could be causing these chest pains?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Chest Pain when running on treadmill

Other than heart disease, there are several possibilities I can think of offhand:

Lung problem such as exercise-induced asthma

Digestive problem such as acid reflux (Yes, vigorous exercise is a possible trigger)

Muscle or bone pain of the chest wall, such as costochondritis. Or maybe even pectoral muscle soreness, from the way you pump your arms when you run.

Do you feel winded or weak when this happens? How long has it been going on for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
(male)

ferwoods HB User

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will describe the pain. I usually run for about 30 minutes and the pain came on around the 12 to 13 minute mark. I slowed my pace down by about 10% and then by min 15-16 the pain was gone and I was able to continue my run and finish 30 minutes worth.

I have read various claims on the accuracy of EKG Stress tests. Some studies claim that S-T Segment Depression on an EKG is 65% accurate whereas chest-pain is 85% accurate. I had a normal EKG stress test however also did not experience chest pain during the test.

I also don't experience this pain during moderate exercise, only during vigorous exercise.

I did eat peanuts before I ran so perhaps it could be indigestion. I have had indigestion before but it usually feels different than this.

I suppose I could try to see if my doctor would send me for a nuclear imaging stress test however given that the EKG stress test was normal I doubt she will think that is necessary.

This is quite frustrating as I want to continue a healthy lifestyle but am afraid I'll drop dead on the treadmill!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferwoods View Post
... This is quite frustrating as I want to continue a healthy lifestyle but am afraid I'll drop dead on the treadmill!
The human body and the heart are very durable and tough. For instance, I have had Heart Failure for over 25 years. The top part of my heart is 50% larger than it should be and stretched out. I have heart valve problems and am close to 70 years of age.

Even though I do get occasional chest pains, and breathing problems while exercising, I still do the following almost every day:
  • 600 steps on my stepper
  • 300 pushups
  • 200 weight curls with two ten pound hand weights
  • 140 weight lifts with two ten pound hand weights
  • 6 minutes on my stationary bike
  • 2 thirty minute power walks

Exercise is GREAT for one's health. I do not allow my diseased heart to stop me from exercising. Sometimes, though, my heart is behaving badly and I am too tired, fatigued, having problems breathing, heart beating erratically and light headed; and in that case I either refrain from exercising, or limit the exercises that I do.

I am not suggesting that you ignore your chest pains. I am just giving you my own experiences for comparison.

The more exercises that I do, the better I feel. I am amazed at how much exercising improves my health and my heart!

Best of luck, and I hope that you are able to keep doing healthy exercises!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 09-26-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Just to be sure to communicate with your cardio your wanting to know what it could be and also talk to your regular doctor also. It could be anything, at least you are wanting to find out. Some people try using the internet to self diagnose, which is a bad thing we all know about. So good and hope you find out what it is soon. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
(male)

ferwoods HB User

I agree - my problem is since the EKG Stress test was Normal they will not send me for further tests.

I believe I could just be fixated on this now though.

There is SOME significance of a normal EKG stress test correct?
Maybe I am just out of shape or maybe it is indigestion as running is the only activity it happens in.

Closed Thread