It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

djf16 HB User
PVC's ?

Over my lifetime I have felt my heart flip flop a few times after I had a lot of soda and coffee. I have also from time to time feel what felt like was my heart skip a beat. I could put my hand on my pulse and it seemed to stop for a split second. For some reason 2 weeks ago they became frequent and are scaring me real bad. My blood pressure seems ok and I dont feel any other symptoms except a thump inside my chest and the anxiety. I panic so so bad when this happens. I think worrying it could be a heart attack but then realize I haven't blacked out or fainted. I have read about PVC's and not sure if that is when the heart feels like a flip flop or if it is when the heart feels like it stalls or skips a beat. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by djf16; 09-27-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
(female)

Ashley990 HB User
Re: PVC's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf16 View Post
Over my lifetime I have felt my heart flip flop a few times after I had a lot of soda and coffee. I have also from time to time feel what felt like was my heart skip a beat. I could put my hand on my pulse and it seemed to stop for a split second. For some reason 2 weeks ago they became frequent and are scaring me real bad. My blood pressure seems ok and I dont feel any other symptoms except a thump inside my chest and the anxiety. I panic so so bad when this happens. I think worrying it could be a heart attack but then realize I haven't blacked out or fainted. I have read about PVC's and not sure if that is when the heart feels like a flip flop or if it is when the heart feels like it stalls or skips a beat. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have quite a few palpitations or PVC's a day. Today at work, I had one every few heart beats for like 5 minutes. They are scary. I'm deathly afraid of cardiac arrest. When I have them, they feel as if my heart has paused for a second, then follows are very hard beat. Or sometimes I feel like it's doing cartwheels in my chest for a good 5 seconds, that scares me more than the large thump does. I've had these sine I was a child, before the age of 10. But I developed a huge anxiety disorder because of them, which I fight everyday. My doctor said that they are normal. That everyone has them, but some feel them and some don't. I honestly don't see how your heart pausing for a second is 'normal' bur hey, I'm not the doctor. Best of luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
(female)

coastgirl198 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMariex0 View Post
I have quite a few palpitations or PVC's a day. Today at work, I had one every few heart beats for like 5 minutes. They are scary. I'm deathly afraid of cardiac arrest. When I have them, they feel as if my heart has paused for a second, then follows are very hard beat. Or sometimes I feel like it's doing cartwheels in my chest for a good 5 seconds, that scares me more than the large thump does. I've had these sine I was a child, before the age of 10. But I developed a huge anxiety disorder because of them, which I fight everyday. My doctor said that they are normal. That everyone has them, but some feel them and some don't. I honestly don't see how your heart pausing for a second is 'normal' bur hey, I'm not the doctor. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
(female)

djf16 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMariex0 View Post
Thank you so much! I am happy to say that since I joined the boards and posted my thread I have made some changes that have worked so far. (fingers crossed). I cut out all caffeine and diet Mt. Dews and everything that has caffeine in it. I also began drinking 4 bottles of water a day. I am taking a vitamin too. I also had a small sewer gas leak at my comode that was repaired. One of these worked. Not sure which one since I did everything the same time. I am now almost five days free of pvc's evcept one every once in a while when I overeat or drink some caffeine free soda. I am going to continue to change my diet and bad eating and eat slower and less and never eat until I am full. These things might come back full force tomorrow but for now something made them almost disappear. Maybe this will help you. One of the worse things about this ordeal is trying to explain it to others who have never experienced it. Same as panc disorder. People look at you as if you are nuts when you have one. Sometimes I think they go hand in hand. Maybe my panic is causing this also. Thanks again for responding. Support is the first part of recovery.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #5
(male)

BensonB HB User

You're definitely not alone. In fact, the reason I'm posting this now is because I'm being kept awake by a bit of a PVC 'episode'.

True, it's normal for everyone to get them sometimes, but I've had a noticeable increase in the last 3-6 months, including more than a few of these episodes, sometimes including a handful of back-to-back series of PVCs, which is quite unpleasant. Some of the stronger ones are forceful enough to make me pause or cause my breath to catch. It's strange, because in the last 8-10 months or so, I've been more active than ever, taking up multiple outdoor sports and activities, as well as maintaining a regular workout at the gym and eating better.

I've been trying to note any patterns with these PVC episodes, and I would say they're generally brought on by excessive caffeine and/or fatigue, but that's not the only cause. I do own a stethoscope, and try to listen to my heart during these PVC fits, but frankly I'm no medical expert, and it seems the 'experts' generally dismiss PVCs as being harmless anyways. It's a bit unnerving though, hearing that rhythmic 'lub-dub' suddenly turn into a big THUD, followed by unsettling silence. It's interesting to hear what's going on in there, but concerning as well, regardless of professional opinion. Especially when I know I'm being kept awake by it. I'm not really sure what, if anything, I can do about it. I've tried reducing caffeine and sugar intake, but the results are erratic.

Anyways, I wish you better luck. I know where you're coming from, and I sympathize; even if these PVCs are not threatening to one's health, they're definitely extremely annoying.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #6
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Never let a doctor make the assumption that it is all in your head, that is what the doctor is doing. That is old school and outdated, especially if you are female. There have been cases of doctors being this way, the patient has real problems later. They think it is nothing, but it is a signal of something. Never back down. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
(female)

djf16 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensonB View Post
You're definitely not alone. In fact, the reason I'm posting this now is because I'm being kept awake by a bit of a PVC 'episode'.

True, it's normal for everyone to get them sometimes, but I've had a noticeable increase in the last 3-6 months, including more than a few of these episodes, sometimes including a handful of back-to-back series of PVCs, which is quite unpleasant. Some of the stronger ones are forceful enough to make me pause or cause my breath to catch. It's strange, because in the last 8-10 months or so, I've been more active than ever, taking up multiple outdoor sports and activities, as well as maintaining a regular workout at the gym and eating better.

I've been trying to note any patterns with these PVC episodes, and I would say they're generally brought on by excessive caffeine and/or fatigue, but that's not the only cause. I do own a stethoscope, and try to listen to my heart during these PVC fits, but frankly I'm no medical expert, and it seems the 'experts' generally dismiss PVCs as being harmless anyways. It's a bit unnerving though, hearing that rhythmic 'lub-dub' suddenly turn into a big THUD, followed by unsettling silence. It's interesting to hear what's going on in there, but concerning as well, regardless of professional opinion. Especially when I know I'm being kept awake by it. I'm not really sure what, if anything, I can do about it. I've tried reducing caffeine and sugar intake, but the results are erratic.

Anyways, I wish you better luck. I know where you're coming from, and I sympathize; even if these PVCs are not threatening to one's health, they're definitely extremely annoying.
Sorry you have to fo through this Benson. I haven't been diagnoised but was lucky enough to have a friend who is a doctor and he told me to stop all caffeine asap. I do know I was dehydrated, worried, and also drinking way too many diet sodas. He told me to have them check for mitral valve prolapse (I think that is how you spell it). I also read that mold allergies and such can bring them on. They scare me so bad and I hate the panic because I am sure that makes it worse. It sure helps to have support. A big hug to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to djf16:
BensonB (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
(male)

BensonB HB User

Dehydration is probably a good point. I've been making an effort to drink more water, especially if I've been drinking coffee, but I'm still not quite where I should be. I tend to drink enough on a big hike or a long day of mountain biking, when I really crave it, but on most days, the urge for water just tends not to occur. Something to consider at any rate.

Thanks for the support though. I mean I feel like a bit of a whiner for complaining about something as relatively harmless as PVCs, considering a lot of people on these boards deal with life-threatening illnesses, but it's nonetheless pretty irritating when it starts to affect my sleep patterns. I can't sleep because my heart is doing backflips at night, due to the fact I'm overly exhausted, and I can't fix the exhaustion, because I'm being kept up at night by the aforementioned palpitations. Heh, bit of a paradox. Oh well, could be a lot worse.

Closed Thread