It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
(male)

supercub HB User
palpitations every day for 7 years

I started getting palpitations when I was 15. They just started one day and happened about every 10 minutes. They haven't subsided for 7 years. I have been to three different cardiologists and have worn halter monitors twice. The only thing they say is that I'm too young for heart problems and its nothing to worry about.
Just recently the palpitations have been accompanied by a sharp squeezing pain, but again the cardiologist says its nothing to worry about. At this point Im just searching for answers. Every time I hear about people with heart palpitations, they maybe last week or so... Not 7 years every couple of minutes. It seems to get worse after I do a workout and they even happen during workouts. Any ideas?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: palpitations every day for 7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercub View Post
I started getting palpitations when I was 15. They just started one day and happened about every 10 minutes. They haven't subsided for 7 years.
What do your palpitations feel like? Is it a constant fast beat? Or does it feel like your heart is jumping, or thumping harder than normal once in a while, or does it feel like it rapid fires a few times and then goes back to normal, or does it feel like it is pausing once in a while, or a combination of all of those things?

Quote:
I have been to three different cardiologists and have worn halter monitors twice. The only thing they say is that I'm too young for heart problems and its nothing to worry about.
Too young? It sure seems like your heart doesn't care how old you are!

And.... nothing to worry about? I'll bet if their heart misfired every day for seven years, they'd be just as worried as you are.

Quote:
Just recently the palpitations have been accompanied by a sharp squeezing pain, but again the cardiologist says its nothing to worry about.
Nothing for "them" to worry about. If your doctor(s) can't tell you what is causing your palpitations, or why your heart is misfiring every day, then I definitely would not have much faith in their opinion of what is safe and what isn't!

Do you have any breathing problems when you get the squeezing pain? Do you over-sweat? Do you get light-headed or dizzy? Ever feel like you are going to pass out?

Do you have allergies or Asthma? Ever react badly, or sneeze, or cough around dust or animals or when going outside?

Do your palpitations get worse when you go outside, or come back inside?

Quote:
At this point Im just searching for answers. Every time I hear about people with heart palpitations, they maybe last week or so... Not 7 years every couple of minutes. It seems to get worse after I do a workout and they even happen during workouts. Any ideas?
There are many things in our environments, in our diets, in our medicines, in our supplements, etc., that can irritate our heart's electrical system and cause our hearts to misfire more than normal. If you can't find out what "worsens" the palpitations, and either stay away from the irritants, or eliminate the irritants; you may have to consider asking your doctor about a very mild dose of medication (ugh!) to settle down your heart.

Heart meds, even at low dosages, not only settle down our hearts but also settle us down. Heart meds can make one tired and listless, with less energy. So, for someone like you, at your young age, to get on heart meds, it might not be the most pleasant experience for you. On the other hand, there might be a med that you can tolerate very well, that would reduce your palpitations.

Are there times during the day when you don't get any palpitations?

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-08-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
(male)

supercub HB User

The palpitations feel like there is a pause, and during that pause I need to take a quick deep breath then its followed by a heavy thump and I feel blood rush to my head and down my arms. It kind of feels I get a mild dizziness which is followed by short fatigue like I'm very tired all of a sudden. That fatigue maybe lasts 3 seconds. That is what it feels like for most palpitations. Some of them are just a pause followed by a heavy thump with no dizziness.
I have never thought I was going to pass out, and I don't have any allergies. It doesn't seem like there is anything that makes my palpitations get worse aside from alcohol, but I avoid alcohol for that reason.
The squeezing pain seems to follow the palpitation about 10 seconds after and is a gradual onset of tight / squeeze pain in my heart area and sometimes on the inside of my bicep also feeling like the circulation is being cut off to my hand. That lasts about 20 seconds.
There isnt anything that aggravate the palpitations and there isn't anything that makes them go away. They're just always there even through exercise.
Now that I write these symptoms out it seems crazy for someone to brush this off as being "too young". I feel there is seriously something wrong with my heart.
Thank you for your reply

Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
(female)

oldmt HB User

I have frequently have PVC's and irregular beats. An old family Dr. once told me to just push down like you were having a bowel movemet ( too gross!!!) and it would help stop them. Some people have irregular heartbeats all their life and do fine. My Aunt's sounded terrible, would skip beats ever 3 or 4th. beat, etc. She lived to be 90. I do know that any kind of stimulants, ie: coffee, tea & nicotine will make them much worse. I don't know of any medication specifically for that. If they just started you should get a B/P monitor that will pick up irregular beats and if they continue or your B/P is over 140 see a cardiologist. Not much help, I know.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
The palpitations feel like there is a pause, and during that pause I need to take a quick deep breath then its followed by a heavy thump and I feel blood rush to my head and down my arms. It kind of feels I get a mild dizziness which is followed by short fatigue like I'm very tired all of a sudden. That fatigue maybe lasts 3 seconds. That is what it feels like for most palpitations. Some of them are just a pause followed by a heavy thump with no dizziness.

I have been to three different cardiologists and have worn halter monitors twice.
If I had your symptoms I would definitely want to get it resolved while I was young; and not wait until I was older when it could get worse.

You had two Holter Monitors. With each one, there is a summary which has the types and frequency of irregular beats. To me, the summary is very valuable and very revealing. Did your doctors give you copies of the Holter Summary? If so, what did it tell you about how many times your heart misfired, and how many times it misfired per hour?

Quote:
I have never thought I was going to pass out, and I don't have any allergies. It doesn't seem like there is anything that makes my palpitations get worse aside from alcohol, but I avoid alcohol for that reason.
Allergies are one health problem that can cause irritation and incitement to a heart. So..... at least, it seems, you can rule out allergies.

Quote:
The squeezing pain seems to follow the palpitation about 10 seconds after and is a gradual onset of tight / squeeze pain in my heart area and sometimes on the inside of my bicep also feeling like the circulation is being cut off to my hand. That lasts about 20 seconds.
What do your doctors tell you when you tell them this?

Quote:
There isnt anything that aggravate the palpitations and there isn't anything that makes them go away. They're just always there even through exercise.
Now that I write these symptoms out it seems crazy for someone to brush this off as being "too young". I feel there is seriously something wrong with my heart.
Thank you for your reply
Your Holter Monitor summary reports would show how well your heart is beating and if there are any electrical problems with your heart.

If it were me, I would not panic, but I would do everything I could to resolve the heart problem, just in case it could worsen and get dangerous.

A heart is a very tough, resilient organ. It can take a lot of abuse and keep beating. For instance, I've had heart failure and nasty heart-beating problems for 25 years and I am close to 70, and I am doing very well.

Since your doctors don't seem over responsive to your concerns, your best bet, in my opinion, would be to get copies of your Holter Summary Reports and post them on HealthBoards, where I am sure that members would chime in and give you their opinion of the Holter results.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

supercub, a few of questions:

Do you eat chocolate, or any other food or drink that contains caffeine?

How is your diet? Do you eat a lot of carbs or foods with high sugar contents? Do you eat a lot of potatoes, white rice or white pasta?

Have you had your blood sugar tested for Diabetes?

Do you work around chemicals? Do you smoke? Are you around smokers during the day?

Just looking for things that could irritate your heart each day, or cause your metabolism to malfunction every day.

Are there any members of your family that have Diabetes?

Quote:
I started getting palpitations when I was 15.
Did anything happen to your environment, or diet when you turned 15? Did you move to a different home?

Since you get these heart misfires each and every day, apparently for little reason, it might be possible that there is something in your daily environment, lifestyle or diet that is irritating or exciting your heart's electrical system.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-09-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
(female)

sickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB User

the most important thing you need to do is find out what arrhythmia you have, how many you're having daily of what type and if there's any structural problems; request a copy of your reports esp any monitors you've worn so you know what you're dealing with

sometimes dr's say it's "normal" when it's not or they may not have all the information needed to know what's going on; I had this happen on 2 occasions and almost died once because of a doctor dismissing my symptoms as "normal"

if it's pvc's and you are having them daily/constantly then you would have a TON of them daily and a cardiologist/ep would recommend an ablation; so it may be that you're feeling like you have more than you do or they're couplets, triplets or pairs

dr's typicaly treat 6,000 - 8,000+ pvc's daily with meds and look at an abltion with roughy 15%-20% of your daily total (roughly 15,000 pvc's) pvc's most of the time are just a nuisance and even at higher levels can be tolerated but wear thin on our nerves

as someone else suggested, it's important to find if you have any lifestyle, environmental or physical causes such as caffeine, too little sleep, sleep apnea, thyroid probems, low magnesium or potassium etc etc you can search pvc's causes and find a huge list - make sure you look at your tests they've done to see if specific panels like electrolytes and thyroid were done...sometimes it's as simple as low magnesium or potassium and patients think this was done but find out later it wasn't.

I'm not as familiar with pac's but have had PSVT & SVT since 2004; doctor's don't seem to worry as much with upper chamber things as much as with lower ones like with pvc's and VT; but I do know from other patients that AFib can be hard to deal with and they watch for clots.

rest assured, the heart is very resilient and can handle a lot...I've had arrhythmia's since I was 9 with fainting spells until age 42 when a doctor found 50,000+ pvc's during a regular checkup when I broke my foot. The next month I went in for testing and an ablation and my heart stopped during the tilt table test, then I had an asystole (flatlined) then my heart restarted but stopped twice more all within 2 hours time.

the dr's think I have a genetic heart disease called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and my fainting episodes that my heart has been briefly stopping all along...I had an icd implanted and it still stops but here I am sitting an typing it's just a pain to get shocked.

get your papers, write down anything you note in there that looks abnormal or high/low, write a list of questions for your doctor's and definitely keep a journal of symptoms, dates & times this may help pinpoint a cause

Old 10-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
(female)

oldmt HB User

I don't know your age, but from other posts you must be on the young side.
The symptoms you discribe could be of concern. I hope that you have reported them to your Dr. Do you take a baby aspirin every day. Unless you have a bleeding disorder, had a bleeding ulcer or other bleeding problems.
Aspiring can be your best friend if you are having a heart attack or stroke. Take one immediately if you think that you are having a heart attack or stroke.
Everyone has different symptoms when having a heart attack so you cannot describe what one is like. Since this seem to happen often and you have not
had one it is likely that you have some type of irregularity. Could be simple as stimulants I mentioned before, electrical impulse problem, defective or leaking heart valve. In total you need to get checked out. Have you ever had a EKG, stress test or other cardiac tests done? Primary thing, tell your Dr. If you don't have one get one an internal medicine Dr. Good Luck

Closed Thread