It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

allyqat HB User
IST on medication but getting worse

Hello all, I was diagnosed with IST around the beginning of 2011 after I brought a rapid heart rate to the attention of my pcp. They put me on beta blockers. Metoprolol 25mg. For a while that was working alright, but then the slight drop in energy levels became massive loss of energy and I was finding it increasingly difficult to function with being dizzy all the time.

I have since switched over to Atenolol 25mg, but that too has proven to be a massive drain of energy, even more so than the Metoprolol. It's gotten to the point where I can barely function. A short walk has me feeling like I've just run around the block. I've also been experiencing: chest pain, headaches, palpitations, fatigue, abnormal drops in blood pressure and changes in pulse pressure.

I'm being switched over to calcium channel blockers as a last resort before my pcp sends me back to the cardiologist, but I'm not very hopeful. Living with IST before was somewhat uncomfortable, but totally do-able. Since I've been on these medications my life has been awful.

Eating destroys whatever effect the beta blockers have. Even low sodium foods send my pulse racing again. My blood pressure, which used to be normal ranges from very low (90/55 ish) to normal. but more worrying is my widening pulse pressure which is anywhere from 50-70mmHg most of the time now. I'm quite small, 5'6" and only 133lbs so my doctor found this quite odd. I've also observed it as low as 16mmHg. Pulse ranges anywhere from 70 to 130

I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid because I'm helpless to do anything. I'm young and uninsured so I'm at the mercy of the charity of local hospitals and clinics.

I know it's bad to try to self diagnose but I really need answers. I can't deal with this anymore. I want to get back to work and school and having a life

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: IST on medication but getting worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyqat View Post
Eating destroys whatever effect the beta blockers have. Even low sodium foods send my pulse racing again. My blood pressure, which used to be normal ranges from very low (90/55 ish) to normal. but more worrying is my widening pulse pressure which is anywhere from 50-70mmHg most of the time now. I'm quite small, 5'6" and only 133lbs so my doctor found this quite odd. I've also observed it as low as 16mmHg. Pulse ranges anywhere from 70 to 130
Do you take any supplements that contain calcium or potassium? Do you eat foods or drinks high in calcium or potassium?

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 10-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
(female)

allyqat HB User
Re: IST on medication but getting worse

No I don't take any supplements. I don't even take a multivitamin regularly. I don't eat much of anything I can think of that's heavily loaded with either calcium or potassium. It happens even with pretty benign foods.

The medication she wants me on is Verapamil ER 120mg x1 per day. It sounds like a lot to me, but I don't know.

Last edited by allyqat; 10-08-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Closed Thread