It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Scared about taking a stress echo :(

I have to go get a stress echo done, because I have been having chest pain. I have svt, and been on propanolol for 5 years. I'm scared because I've never had a stress test. I've had the holters, EKG, echos, but no stress echo. I'm worried I"m going to fail it, or have it send my heart into svt.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User
Re: Scared about taking a stress echo :(

well a couple things; a stress echo is a pc of cake. Second IF you have a problem, which is unlikely, what better place to be than in a cardio Drs office !!!
And it really IS better knowing WHAT the problem is and maybe nothing will show and maybe it will but at least you know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

I know many people that have had it, and said the same thing. I guess I'm just mostly worried about whether they will let me take my beta blocker because when I don't take them my heart rate soars so I don't know how I can skip it. I can't call them till tomorrow to ask them. From what I've read online, your not supposed to take it 24 hours before a stress test. Is that true?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User

yea probably true but call first and I wouldnt worry, again they know what they are doing

Old 10-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
(female)

coastgirl198 HB User

I have a stress test this Tuesday, I take a Beta Blocker also and was told not to take it the night before or that morning. I had one done 3 yrs ago and it was not bad at all just takes about 4 hrs but you have to rest in between. I have pvc's and inverted T waves. In fact I was admitted last week because my heart was flopping all over in my chest but then it was due to my potassium being down to 2.4. all my enzymes were good as well as the echo but I want the stress test just so I can have peace of mind ! Good luck and it's better to know than to worry about it

Last edited by mod85; 10-09-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

But doesn't your heart race when you don't take your beta blocker? If I forget two doses, my heart is usually racing.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Best to call and find out, some information online and be out of date. 10 years ago, I was facing test that I had not had for years, and it was information from when I was a child. So please talk to someone, do not always go with online information, except a reliable source, like *****. Hugs for today. Please let us know how the test comes out.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I went into the Heart Institute and asked them about their protocol on whether I have to stop my beta blocker. They said it is up to the physician that ordered it. I said the physician that ordered it does not even think I need it, that it is more for my own peace of mind. I said that I can still easily get my heart rate up to the level they need ON my beta blocker. I did not take my bb last night and woke up this morning to a fast hr. So he said if the Dr. doesn't care and I can get it up, then they are good to go with me staying on the bb. He said some cardio's do not want their patients off the bb no matter what tests, while others do want them off. So they are all different.
Anyways, now I just need to get my nerve up to take the test. I can exercise with my hr around 140, but I hate it when it gets faster than that, cause I start getting panicky, then it can trigger that svt.
Thank you guys for all your support.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
(female)

coastgirl198 HB User

I have always taken my beta blocker in the mornings, You can take it the morning before just not the morning of the test ! by the way I had my stress test this morning and really it was not bad at all my heart did flutter a little probably due to the stress of having to do the test it self. They told me I will hear something the beginning of next week but I felt better when the Tech finished and he said it didn't look like I had anything to worry about. He did say they could change my beta blocker because the one I am now has been around for a long time ! Good luck and try not to stress it will be fine.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Good for you, going in and getting it done! How high did you have to get your heart up to? See, if I don't take it, my heart rate goes into svt if I go past a certain rate. That's why they said I could take a small amount of beta blocker, so that I'm not in constant svt when trying to do the stress test. We already know I have it, so they aren't trying to see that. They want to make sure I don't have any blockages, hence the echo right after. I've been going for walks and getting on my elliptical. I can get my heart rate up to 150-160, but haven't been able to get it much higher than that. Not that I'm wanting to lol. I hope your results turn out good!
Michelle

Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
(female)

coastgirl198 HB User

They wanted my heart rate up to 138 which is not bad and I think mine got up to 135 when they injected the dye then within a minute or so it was over. They told me I could have my cup of coffee just nothing to eat, I waited for an hour then they took me back and took pictures of my heart which took 10 minutes.. He said your done and I told him well now I pray it comes back ok and he told me he didn't think I had anything to worry about ! Praying since he was there watching it all he was giving me a hint that it looked good !We will see.. Just keep the faith and don't worry about the bb missing one dose will not hurt I am sure, in fact I think I was throwing pvc's or at least it felt like it ! Good luck and keep us informed will keep you in my prayers

Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User

Miche31,
I have a stress echo done every 6 months and have gone without a beta blocker dose many times for the test without problems other than feeling my heart beat and a few pvc's. They'll take good care of you!

Closed Thread