It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
(male)

dfsa HB User
Sharp pain in chest and down left arm

Yesterday I had a very sharp pain where my heart is, and this pain extended to my neck, along my collarbone, left shoulder and down my left arm. It was very painful and I felt like I couldn't breathe much.

The pain passed after about 1 minute but since then my heart has felt a bit strange, and so has the left of my neck. I don't know how to describe it, it feels perhaps a bit delicate, like if I breathe in too deep then I feel the remnants of the pain there on my heart and left of my neck.

What can this be? I am guessing it is not serious because... I am still alive ... but it is obviously worrying for me. I want to go to the gym today, but I am worried about exercising or lifting weights; if there is a problem I don't want to exacerbate it.

Please has anyone had something similar or is anyone a doctor that could advise?

Old 10-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Sharp pain in chest and down left arm

Do you know how your blood pressure runs during the day? How about your heartbeat or heart rate? Does your heart ever beat erratically, fast, slow, hard?

How is your blood sugar? Does Diabetes run in your family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsa
It was very painful and I felt like I couldn't breathe much.
How long did the breathing problems last? Did you feel faint, lightheaded, weak or dizzy? Did you sweat heavily during this time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsa
... or is anyone a doctor that could advise?
HealthBoards members are not healthcare professionals or healthcare students.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-11-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
(male)

dfsa HB User

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Do you know how your blood pressure runs during the day? How about your heartbeat or heart rate? Does your heart ever beat erratically, fast, slow, hard?
My heart sometimes beats fast yeah, (can feel it in my neck). But only a few times I've felt it "racing" and it made my fingers tremble and me feel faint. I think that was from low blood sugar or something, because I craved sugar and have to eat chocolate or fruit juice or bread to feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
How is your blood sugar? Does Diabetes run in your family?
Nobody has diabetes in my family.

I'm posting again because it's been getting worse. Most days now I will feel discomfort or pain where my heart is, and often when exercising I feel a tightness there, and sometimes a sharp pain in my back?! (like where my heart is, but I can feel it in my back instead of chest).

I went to the doctor and he could not find anything wrong with the stethoscope, and he sent me for an EKG and blood tests. The EKG was apparently normal, still waiting for the blood tests, but I can't see what they could even find with blood. It was testing various things like thyroid, kidneys, and others I can't remember but I can't see how that will affect the heart so that will probably come back normal when I get the results.

So what should I do? Just ignore the pain? When I exercise just ignore the constricting pain on the left of my chest? When I am sitting at my desk and suddenly get a sharp pain in my chest and then uncomfortable pain that makes breathing difficult for 10-30 mins ignore it?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
(female)

the good life HB User

hi dfsa...sorry to hear you're not feeling better since your last post. I am not a health/medical professional, but I think I can answer your bloodwork question. If you did have a heart attack, it would show up in your bloodwork as high cardiac enzymes. That reflects damage to the heart muscle from MI. Your doc may be looking for a thyroid tie in also. An 'out-of-whack' thyroid can affect the heart as well.

My pain started in the chest,then went to my chest & back-then my right arm was included. I have 2 blockages but it showed up on my EKG right away...Im having a stress test & angiogram. If you are still affected every day, and you dont feel your doc is working to get to the bottom of this, you are always entitled to get a second opinion. Or change docs. And if the pain interfered w/my day to day living and daily functions as it is yours, Id sure get one. If the pain worsens, you go to the ER right away! They are well equipped to run every test and get bloodwork back w/in an hour to see what the basis of your pain is. Good luck to you...keep us posted.
The Good Life

Old 11-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User

Here is the best and only advise you should take...Go back to your Dr and tell him you need an apt with a cardio Dr this week...Ask for, no scratch that DEMAND at the least an echo stress test..The blood work and EKG are useless if they dont show anything..
I had MILD chest discomfort, my GP told me I had a pulled muscle, my blood work was better than perfect, EKG perfect, ECHO perfect...failed the Echo stress test, angio that day 98% blocked lad !!!!!
The only way to know is thru a GOOD cardio Dr, not this web site and not a GP..If I had listened to my GP I may not be here to give you this good advise.

Closed Thread