It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

deremith HB User
Ventricular Tachycardia

I'm 23 years old and I just found out I went into v tach the other day. I've been having problems with tachycardia and palpitations for a while and was wearing the holter monitor when the rhythm was discovered. I'm also a Paramedic so I know allll about heart rhythms, so I was terrified when I heard V-tach, wasn't expecting that!
I have an appointment with an electrophysiologist next week, what should I expect??
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Ventricular Tachycardia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deremith View Post
I'm 23 years old and I just found out I went into v tach the other day.
During the time that you were experiencing v tach, did you notice an increase in symptoms, such as lightheadedness, dizziness, tiredness, fatigue, sob, chest pain, over-sweating?

When I used to have worse tachycardia and heart rhythm/rate problems, I used to experiment during the Holter test and keep a log of the times, and the experiments. I found that, the more I did something that irritated my heart, the lower in my heart and the more erratic, the heart-beat dysfunction. Fortunately, my heart has settled down quite a bit and those days are mostly gone.

So..... I am wondering if you can attribute something you did to the advent of the vtach?

Quote:
I have an appointment with an electrophysiologist next week, what should I expect?? Thanks!
I've never been to an electrophysiologist over the 25+ years I've had Heart Failure and Permanent Atrial Fibrillation. Fortunately, my health and quality of life has much improved, but I can't answer this part of your post. I hope that someone else, who HAS gone to an electrophysiologist will respond.

Best of health, and good luck at the electrophysiologists!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-15-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

deremith HB User

I get lightheaded and weak, difficulty breathing, chest pain, and my heart just feels like its going to explode. It seems like one of the biggest triggers is going up the stairs to my apartment! I'm in good shape, I run and exercise everyday so it just seemed so strange that this was happening.
The specific event that my Doctor saw and called me in for was last Monday night, I went up the stairs carrying a 24 pack of water...but I can't remember too many symptoms so I didn't check my pulse.

He has put me on Metoprolol and it seems to be helping so far.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deremith View Post
I get lightheaded and weak, difficulty breathing, chest pain, and my heart just feels like its going to explode.
When my heart is beating badly, that is what happens to me. If I know that my heart is not functioning as well as it should, I take it easy. If I don't, the misfiring can get worse and spread down into my ventricles.

Sometimes I push it a little and the beat gets worse and I get weaker and then I know that I better just sit still and rest and take deep, slow breaths in and out until my heart settles down. The deep slow breathing, in and out, really helps me, when my heart is not doing too well. It gets my heart beating stronger and more steady.

Quote:
It seems like one of the biggest triggers is going up the stairs to my apartment!
You could have a perfectly healthy heart, and probably do at age 23, but when your heart is not pumping as well as it should, going up stairs puts more of a strain on the heart.

Quote:
I'm in good shape, I run and exercise everyday so it just seemed so strange that this was happening.
Doesn't seem fair, does it? You do so many things right, but still are faced with a serious heart problem that someone of your age and condition should not have!

Regardless of your overall physical shape, if your heart has an electrical problem, then when your heart is not firing effectively, it causes all kinds of uncomfortable and even debilitating symptoms, and reduces your physical ability.

Quote:
The specific event that my Doctor saw and called me in for was last Monday night, I went up the stairs carrying a 24 pack of water...but I can't remember too many symptoms so I didn't check my pulse.
That makes it even worse! If you were carrying a case of beer, then it might have been worth the heart problems, but to get vtach for carrying WATER!

Quote:
He has put me on Metoprolol and it seems to be helping so far.
I am soooooo happy for you that the Metoprolol is helping you! Let's hope that it keeps any arrhythmias contained up in the Atria. Are you having any side effects from the Beta Blocker, such as tireness?

I'm also on a Beta Blocker, Carvedilol (Coreg), which I LOVE! It is one of the greatest meds ever made. It has really helped to improve my heart failure and health!

However, it does make me tired and, in the morning, really fatigues and weakens me. I do demanding physical exercise every day, but I am somewhat limited from about 7am-10am due to the morning dose of Coreg. Buts.... I have learned to put aside the tiredness and fatigue, and even the weakness, from the Coreg and still do my exercises.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-15-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
(female)

deremith HB User

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing any side effects of Metoprolol at the moment. I'm a tired person to begin with and I'm currently not working so I sleep in pretty late. I'm just worried that I'll get the depression side effect. I'm already Bipolar and have been dealing with depression lately, hopefully it won't get worse! But so far so good. Seemed to feel really relaxed.
Really hoping it continues to work because I'm doing a physical agility test soon for a Paramedic job and they monitor your heart rate, mine was too high last time I took it so I failed. I practiced yesterday and at the end it was 82 not 131! wooo!

Old 10-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
(female)

deremith HB User

And yes, I know its an electrical problem, it just seems weird to me that I never get symptoms at the gym, where I sometimes do 1 hour of cardio.. and at home one flight of stairs will do it! HA!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
(male)

BensonB HB User

I think that has something to do with the fact that it's usually easier for the heart to maintain its rhythm at higher speeds. I get PVCs myself, and yeah, they really only ever happen when I'm sitting down, in bed, or otherwise mellowed. Never during vigorous exercise, thankfully.

Closed Thread