It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

Solange1965 HB User
Feedback please on new heart labs~

I recently had my labs done for my cardiologist which I get done annually. As I am hypothyroid, when my numbers are off, I notice my cholesterol goes up and the other cardio numbers get off the normal range. So I had these results:
Chol. 211(under 200 is preferred)
Triglyceride: 129( under 150 is preferred)
High Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol+:66(above 40 is preferred)
Low Density Lipoprotein Cholestesrol:119(below 130 is preferred)
LDL/HDL Ratio: 1.8(below 3.2 is preferred)
C Reactive Protein: 0.7(0.0-1.0 normal range)

They called back with the results, the nurse said he wanted to start me on a low dose of Symvastatin as I am in a risk for placque buildup according to my C-Reactive Protein results which, to me, read normal.

I am a female, 67 years, 137 lbs. and my thyroid levels are normal at this time.
Given the above information, why would a statin be necessary which I am not wanting to take.
Thank you...Solange

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Feedback please on new heart labs~

A doctor's business is just like any other business. They want to sign up patients. One way of "signing up" patients is by prescribing medications that need to be renewed at least once per year. Plus...... doctor's get all kinds of perks from drug companies for prescribing their medications.

I would assume that you are getting these healthy lipid numbers via diet and exercise.

You might call your doctor's office and ask why your doctor thinks you require medication. If anything, you should be rewarded for having such healthy looking numbers, not punished.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-20-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

In Dec. '10, my chol. was 247. That immediately told me that my thyroid levels must be haywire. Sure enough, it was too slow and the primary bumped up my synthoid. But, I also lost 13 lbs., between that Dec. and the next test in April '11. My chol. was down to 212 and all other labs were fine.

For me, I eat 5 small meals a day, protein, fish and veggies. And I do eat almost anything in terms of carbs, BUT very small portions. I eat all meals on a sandwich sized plate. I am not depriving myself of anything but using common sense. Good think I love fish though, I know it's not for everyone.

Thank you for the wise advice. I thought he was reading off of someone else's labs to recommend a statin. Healthy diet with alot of fish/veggies was my ticket.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solange1965 View Post
In Dec. '10, my chol. was 247. That immediately told me that my thyroid levels must be haywire. Sure enough, it was too slow and the primary bumped up my synthoid.

But, I also lost 13 lbs., between that Dec. and the next test in April '11. My chol. was down to 212 and all other labs were fine.
It's all related isn't it?! When the metabolism is unhealthy because of inappropriate diet and lack of exercise, many health problems can result.

However..... nice going on lowering your cholesterol that quickly! That is quite an achievement! Personally, I am AMAZED at what a good quality, healthy diet can do for one's health, especially for someone like me who "had" debilitating health problems and is close to 70.

Quote:
For me, I eat 5 small meals a day, protein, fish and veggies. And I do eat almost anything in terms of carbs, BUT very small portions. I eat all meals on a sandwich sized plate.
You and I have similar diets. I've been on a similar diet since 2005. However.... I really like the idea of the sandwich sized plates! That is a good way to limit one's meal. To me, a small meal, frequent eating, quality balanced diet is the best medication someone can take!

Quote:
I am not depriving myself of anything but using common sense. Good think I love fish though, I know it's not for everyone.
Unfortunately, for most people, common sense gives way to appetite and love for food. If I could, I would go back to my old evil eating ways of french fries dipped in melted cheese, chicken wings, pizza, beer, bacon-egg-cheese subs, quarter pounders with cheese, bags of potato chips, pretzels, cheese puffs, candies, etc.

I've started eating a filet of fish every day. The type of fish I eat is a "dirty word" to many fish connoisseurs, but I happen to love Tilapia! And..... providing you get it from a quality source, it's one of the safest fish to eat.

Quote:
Thank you for the wise advice.
My pleasure. Thanks also to you for the idea of the sandwich plate! I like that!

Quote:
I thought he was reading off of someone else's labs to recommend a statin. Healthy diet with alot of fish/veggies was my ticket.
It's great to be able to go to a healthier lifestyle and avoid medications, even if the doctors aren't totally pleased. I have yet to hear someone say that their doctor said to diet and exercise to avoid medications. I would guess that it happens once in a while, but I have yet to hear it!

Keep up the good work! Best of health!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-21-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Just wanted to add that in eating less at each meal, I don't get so hungry that I need gobs of servings the next time. If a stomach interior can shrink then mine has. I am filled and satisfied with my serving but at one time, it would have been enough for an appetizer only. Eating even a few spoonfuls more actually makes me stuffed and uncomfortable.

Btw, be cautious as to the source of your fish fillets. I recently returned a bag of frozen fillets that were imported from China. Geez, I live in Florida and wonder why we are selling fish from China and it was a chain supermarket.
So now I go to a smaller fish market, pricier unfortunately but since it's my body, I can cut corners elsewhere. Ask if you are not sure of the fish source of origin.

Closed Thread