It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
(female)

Passiongirl79 HB User
Heart skip beats/flutters

I am new to this board, and have learned alittle from reading others post. What I need help with is my heart does all kind of things like skipping beats, flutters, feels like it is beating all over my chest and speeds up then goes back to normal. I did have a ekg, echo and 24hr monitor but all they said is they saw a couple of skipped beats but it didn't last long during the monitor like it is doing now. I have had this for years it will come on then disappear for awhile then come back. When my heart does this it can last for hours at a time, it is terrifying, I feel like I am dying. It has caused me to have panic attacks that are now controling my life. My question is has anyone else had problems like this with there heart and nothing be wrong or do I have a heart problem that the dr's aren't seeing.

The following user gives a hug of support to Passiongirl79:
MatrixX (11-03-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
(female)

iHEARTu HB User
Re: Heart skip beats/flutters

yes ive had this for years also i went to the hospital plenty of times cause of it but result form the heart monitor were healthier than ever, it still freaks me out because it still happens to me and cause harsh anxiety attacks that make feel like im dying and cause me to go to the hospital, but once i get there im normal again so its fraustrating what this is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It's very common in women - and esp those who are older. A simple trick to bring it back under control - one really hard cough. Read that in Readers Digest or something like that years ago and it works every time.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
(female)

Passiongirl79 HB User

Thanks for replying, yes it is very frustrating and I too have gone to the hospital many times and once I get there it stops and they don't see what my heart does when it beats all crazy. I wish just one time they could see or hear it and tell me why it is doing this.
And thanks for the advise about the cough I will definitely try it.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Others things to try are stressing or trying to mock like going to the bathroom, they work at stopping mine sometimes.

On my next comments, I will state I am not a doctor so I cannot accurately diagnose anything at all. But I can say I have dealt with similar things for nearly 10 years and I am 34 now....I assume you are 32?

What mine is and what I get a few times a year is atrial fibrillation- IDK if that is what you have or some other arrhythmia. I would hazard to guess it wont kill you if you have had it a few times and lived to talk about it . Mine feels like irregular or slowed beats, followed by several rapid ones in a row as if it is "catching up". It feels like fluttering, slight pain, and winds you. Are you experiencing something similar? The anxiety sends it into a whole other area and it builds on itself......and that is with me knowing what it is and that I will not die .

What is your lifestyle like? Are you under stress or do you get angered easily? Do you drink caffeine at all? Are you a normally anxious person, and do you sleep well? Do you stay hydrated(huge one for me)? What is your diet like?

I mention those things, as they trigger my flutters all the time. The anxiety/panic you feel during and fearing them also adds to it and may even trigger an attack. See a cardiologist and explain what you are feeling, when and everything. Go see him/her next time an attack happens. If you do get an attack, try to relax as much as possible. The other times you have had them for hours on end have not killed you, so take that thought off your mind, as hard as it is to do.

Other things that work for me when I have an attack is just lying down and watching TV to get my mind off it. If I run around frantically, that raises my heart rate and makes it worse. Low sodium V8 helps me, since it is salted with magnesium chloride and potassium chloride, which affect heart rhythm and can calm it down. Even plain water will help, since dehydration affects you electrolyte levels. Coughing, or the "crunch" I mentioned above have stopped my last 2 episodes right in their tracks, that is something new I tried. As I said, I cannot claim to know if you have the same thing as I, but it sounds somewhat similar.

Ill respond more when you answer back, so I can keep on track. Otherwise I babble .

Last edited by SOTM; 10-29-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
(male)

Jackob7 HB User

I start getting heart problem about two years ago. Numerous tests revealed nothing. I start eliminating one by one things that I thought influence my heart condition which was getting worse. I could not sleep properly, my heart was pounding so fast and I was thirsty at night. Then it was arrhythmia and all sorts of other problems. In September this year I stopped using Colgate Plax. I was using Plax/Listerine for about 4 years. Slowly my heart stop causing me any problems. Two months later and I slowly forgetting about how alarmed I was. It may be just that the chemicals used in mouthwash are not welcome by my body.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
(male)

man648 HB User

I can strongly relate to you flutters and other nasty heart palpitations. I have had them for many years. They first were not to often but as years went by they became more and more frequent. Some are flutters others are strong ND VERY concerning. Sometimes they are singles and other times they are series of several. A few times I have had long runs of them. I have a great cardio and I try to do as he tells me to do. However, at times, I start getting very concerned about the bad ones and I have taken a 2mg lorazepam and it seems, most of the time, to help settle the pvcs to some degree. Over the many years I have been on many heart meds and currently I am on amiodarone 200mg. Also several years back I had an EPS test and they could not trigger the pvcs. Many holtor monitors have been done with noticeable arrhythmia of the smaller feeling pvcs. At times they settle for part of a day and other times they can get frequent. Some of the things that seem to trigger my arrhythmia is body movements such as bending, twisting and sitting. Also, at times, laying on my right, left side or on my back, again at times, trigger my pvcs. And other episodes just happen out of no where. I hope and pray that there is a cure for these nasty pvcs but until then we have to do our best with dealing with them the best we can. I think we all wished that our doctors could experience our exact feelings of the pvcs.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
(male)

man648 HB User

Trying to remove the extra post, sorry. Other things that seem to aggravate my pvcs are caffeine, excessive sugar, STRESS, as well as certain body movements.

Last edited by man648; 10-30-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Sorry, I did a double post

Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would try to relax and visit with others and do things to relieve them of their problems if possible to help get your mind off this as much as possible and to quit worrying. I know about a statement that says that people's hearts fail them for fear. So I would do my best to do things that calm, relax and get your mind off your troubles. I might also ask the doctors if the electrolytes are ok since sometimes this can cause muscle action changes and the heart is a muscle.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
(female)

Passiongirl79 HB User

sotm....Yes I am 32, and the dr's haven't diagnosed me with atrial fib but it does sound alot like you. The dr's said it could be that but haven't seen it on a monitor indicating it. They did put me on a bp med and a aspirin a day. I am an anxious person so I'm sure that causes alot of it. I will try the V8 the dr told me to get more magnesium and potassium. I will definitely try the cough and crunch thing anything for help. Thank you

Jackob7.....Eliminating one by one sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the advice.

gman648....You sound alot like me. Mine was just here and there but as the years go by mine gets worse. Mine also does it alot when I bend, twist, or sit. Alot of time I just have to stand up straight for hours. And it would be nice if dr's could experience what we feel then they would no why we go to them all the time...lol Thank you for responding it helps to hear from others that go through what I go through.

sjb...The electrolytes and heart muscle does make sense. Thanks

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Passiongirl79
MatrixX (11-03-2011), sjb (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi you are welcome.

Thanks for telling us this I think it is highly important. Perhaps even the company should be notified to help others there may be an ingredient that can be left out.

Last edited by sjb; 10-30-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiongirl79 View Post
sotm....Yes I am 32, and the dr's haven't diagnosed me with atrial fib but it does sound alot like you. The dr's said it could be that but haven't seen it on a monitor indicating it. They did put me on a bp med and a aspirin a day. I am an anxious person so I'm sure that causes alot of it. I will try the V8 the dr told me to get more magnesium and potassium. I will definitely try the cough and crunch thing anything for help. Thank you
You're more than welcome.

Yes, being anxious or nervous really aggravates it. I'd love to tell you to relax, but Im still trying to figure that one out myself . The aspirin is to prevent blood clots if your heart is not pumping efficiently. That is about the only risk of these flutters at our age, assuming you have what I have or similar to it, which it does sound like. It is very unlikely to happen, but the aspirin is a good safeguard.

Just be sure the V8 is the low sodium one, the regular one would make it worse from high sodium. Even just mag and pot supplements will work well. Look into diets like the "paleo" or "caveman" diet, they basically promote lots of vegetables and little processed foods. Caffeine is a risky one.

Just work on relaxing about it, try not to think about it, you can almsot bring it on by doing so. I have had it probably a few dozen times, ranging from minutes to days, from self correcting to electrical cardioversion to get rid of it. In the past once I am in the hospital I relax, since it is a safe place. But it is no different really than being at home, once you get past the shock and fear of getting it. IMO the resulting anxiety from it starting is what sends it haywire even more. There is a very small BB named afibbers dot net, check them out as well, many people experiencing the same thing.

Good luck and keep us posted .

Last edited by SOTM; 10-30-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
(male)

MatrixX HB User

Passion I am in the same boat, I am 46 and have heart disease. I have multiple blockages so I am in a worse boat then you I guess. All of my life though I have had PVC's but most of the time they have been infrequent. The last five weeks or so have seen my episodes jump dramatically. So scared of the big change so I am going to my heart doctor on Monday. I feel for you and hope you are fine.

Last edited by MatrixX; 11-03-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
(female)

Passiongirl79 HB User

sotm....Thank you, you have gave me lots of good info. I wish I could just relax, these past couple of days have been bad the flutters won't stop they keep coming and everytime I think I am fine they start back. I have triggers at times like bending over, twisting or laying on my left side will start them. I just keep thinking they are going to start one of those deadly arrhythmias which then starts the anxiety attacks. I guess it is something I am just going to have to live with. Well thanks for sharing your story.

matrixx....I am sorry to hear about the blockages, and I hope your dr appt goes well. I know how it is to worry and worry about what the heart does. My heart has been going crazy lately, I would go back to the dr. but I have no insurance and already paying on big bills so I just try to accept this isn't going to kill me but it is hard at time to make myself believe that. Well keep us posted. Thanks for responding

Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

HI Passiongirl! I had hoped to save some people I knew very well from further heart problems (both overweight) and another one who I wondered if he would have them because he was overweight. I told them not to smoke, drink alchohol, use substances, not to eat lots of fatty foods and snacks, to eat more fruits grains and vegetables, to drink water and walk every day. Both of them would not listen and both have passed away suddenly of a heart attack. Peace.

Closed Thread