It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
(female)

Autumnday HB User
catheter Ablation for heart problems - is it possible to have a general anaesthetic?

Hi
Am new to Healthboards, have found it very interesting and useful reading the posts. Makes you feel a little less lonely with scary health problems.

My doctor sent me for an exercise test at the hospital and i was really unwell during the test. My heartrate went all over the place, they called a doctor and I was admitted to Coronary Care. I had every kind of test including Angiogram and MRI Heart scan. Everything seems structurally sound with my heart but am having a lot of electrical problems, PVCs VTs etc. My heart rate goes from way too fast, 180 ish down to around 43. My BP keeps being on the high side too. I am on Cardicor but quite a low dose as I have Asthma.

I am waiting to see the Electophysiologist but everyone so far keeps talking about Catheter Ablation. It sounds as if the success rate is good and its what I should do as I don't want to take meds forever. I didn't find the Angiogram a very good experience - it was not painless! I am not usually a scaredy cat about anything, but the idea of the ablation taking so long - hours and hours, not being able to move, maybe being in pain for along time. It really scares me.

Is it possible to have a general anaesthetic or does that make it all too risky?

Anyone know? Would be grateful to hear anyones views. Thanks

Autumnday

Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: catheter Ablation for heart problems - is it possible to have a general anaesthet

Hi,
I don't think that you can be totally under during an ablation because the doctor needs the patient's input from time to time. I had my ablation back in 2008 and it took about two hours. They gave me intravenous medication that made me totally drowsy and comfortable without being totally out. It was a piece of cake, I'm not kidding.
Best wishes!! Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
Autumnday (10-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread